Pod Your Reef

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I don't get it. I cannot keep duncans happy!!! I lost my first one when I was on vacation last October - not exactly sure what happened. Lost my second one about a month ago - it started to recede. I picked up another one - because I really love duncans - and it's doing 'okay' but not great. The head keeps retracting. It's out during the day but at about this time, it sucks it's head in. All my other duncans have always stayed extended.

I'm a duncan killer!

same here mine had 8 heads now 1

Do you feed it? My Duncans are in both high and low flow, high and medium light. All are doing great. I spot feed all heads with pellets and frozen. My only problem with them is I can't seem to keep one purple. They all eventually turn green. :^(

I do love that gonipora you have I probably spelled it wrong :lol:

Your corals have a nice rich color to them stellathegreat :wub:

Thanks PG :) you made my day

Do you feed it? My Duncans are in both high and low flow, high and medium light. All are doing great. I spot feed all heads with pellets and frozen. My only problem with them is I can't seem to keep one purple. They all eventually turn green. :^(

Yeah - generally mysis or krill when I'm feeding the RFAs. I don't get it! I'm going to leave it be for a bit and see.

I've had frags of my duncans in all three tanks, and it's been interesting to see how they do better on some tanks than in others. They've done equally well in all different levels of flow and lighting. And in some cases they've done just as well without feeding. The only place they haven't done well is in the 10g tank, but that was at a time when the hammers weren't doing well either. I had swapped the sickly hammers with the duncans in the 4g tank so that they could recover. As soon as a I put the duncans in the 10g tank, they didn't do nearly as well for about a month. But then whatever it was that was bad in that tank seemed to go away, because they started doing better. So I swapped them back again and the hammers are now doing great in the 10g tank.

So all that's a long way of saying I have no idea why your duncans aren't doing well :rolleyes:

Mine did great and multiplied under led, now it's under mostly white light. When my palys get moved, I'll move the duncans closer to the par bulb and move the toadstool to the left.

Like ninja said... You should try more heads.

I kept losing hammers/torches/frogspawns, but I was buying the cheapest single head pieces. Last new hammer I got has 3 heads and it's been happy for a few months. I wont buy single heads of anything ever again!

I've had frags of my duncans in all three tanks, and it's been interesting to see how they do better on some tanks than in others. They've done equally well in all different levels of flow and lighting. And in some cases they've done just as well without feeding. The only place they haven't done well is in the 10g tank, but that was at a time when the hammers weren't doing well either. I had swapped the sickly hammers with the duncans in the 4g tank so that they could recover. As soon as a I put the duncans in the 10g tank, they didn't do nearly as well for about a month. But then whatever it was that was bad in that tank seemed to go away, because they started doing better. So I swapped them back again and the hammers are now doing great in the 10g tank.

So all that's a long way of saying I have no idea why your duncans aren't doing well :rolleyes:

ha! this is good info. I like hearing everyone's stories as it helps me figure out what I should try next with my duncan :)

Like ninja said... You should try more heads.

I kept losing hammers/torches/frogspawns, but I was buying the cheapest single head pieces. Last new hammer I got has 3 heads and it's been happy for a few months. I wont buy single heads of anything ever again!

yeah, I think I'll try more heads if this one doesn't make it.

A few fotos for this Monday:

I thought this was cool. A little tunicate on a lobo:

DIBTCbQ.jpg

Also, my duncan is looking much better!

68rI2NO.jpg

Purple tree:

k0wj4Ky.jpg

Acans:

4gv3hNQ.jpg

YbFjxAK.jpg

Cinnamon polyp:

rUib9Yi.jpg

Pinstripe favia:

H5o6oLl.jpg

Two of the five redspots:

X7Iukp2.jpg

Corkies:

sPS9rDM.jpg

Another shot of the cardinals (it is impossible to get a photo of all five of them together):

KHp8UeG.jpg

You can see all of them in this shot if you look closely:

QQrpygX.jpg

Indeed...BUT! :wub: What a Beauty!

That it is!!! I'm loving the diamond tail flasher wrasses - but again, super expensive! Nixed that one right off my list :lol:

That acan gonna pop soon

Isn't it funny how some stay flatter and some get so round?

So good news! The pencil urchin, Yum, is going to town on the bubble algae!! :happydance:

A few fotos for this Monday:

I thought this was cool. A little tunicate on a lobo:

DIBTCbQ.jpg

Also, my duncan is looking much better!

68rI2NO.jpg

Purple tree:

k0wj4Ky.jpg

Acans:

4gv3hNQ.jpg

YbFjxAK.jpg

Cinnamon polyp:

rUib9Yi.jpg

Pinstripe favia:

H5o6oLl.jpg

Two of the five redspots:

X7Iukp2.jpg

Corkies:

sPS9rDM.jpg

Another shot of the cardinals (it is impossible to get a photo of all five of them together):

KHp8UeG.jpg

You can see all of them in this shot if you look closely:

QQrpygX.jpg

What kind of cardinals are these? They look different then what I have seen... They are very neat

What kind of cardinals are these? They look different then what I have seen... They are very neat

Thanks! They're red spot glass cardinals - really small. I think they get to an inch and a half max and like to be in groups :)

Archived