Innovative Marine Aquariums

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

jedimasterben

you forgot something! Bzzzzzzzz

But it's good advice, buzzzzz or not! :P

I saw a spotted rabbitfish I think on live aquaria. Then I saw it got to over a foot long I think and was so disappointed!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2013/8/fish2

The sizes listed on LA are for the largest wild-caught specimen on record. Typically, most fish never reach close to that size, especially in captivity. Most rabbits you'd see will only get 6-9".

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReefWeeds

Well I spoke too soon about the redspots :( one is missing. There were 5 last night and 4 when lights came up this morning. I've checked the tank where I can see, checked overflow (realized I need to clean it out, it's gross). Checked the sump, but I need to take out the crapper trapper to see if it somehow went down the drain. Of course work is insanely busy so trying to do this in between meetings.

No sign yet.

although the other four are looking for the 5th :wacko: There's one I call the scout. There are two that tend to go and break away from the group and swim to the other side of the tank occasionally. Well, the scout will swim over and try to get the two to come back "home" until they finally follow it back to the other side. Three are poking around and the scout keeps swimming in the front of the tank and then looking over at the other side, almost like its saying "hey, where'd you go, come back home!"

it's sad. Boo.

ReefWeeds

Well, I emptied the overflow, changed the poly in the crapper trapper, checked the sump - no sign of missing cardinal :(

I did notice one of the bangaiis has an extra large stomach this morning and they have big mouths so I'm wondering if the little guy got injured by a powerhead or something overnight and then got eaten :wacko:

ReefWeeds

I hope he turns up, I feel extra sad now that you've shared that story :(

Aww thanks for commiserating with me, Teeny. I have looked everywhere and haven't come across the 5th cardinal. It was the smallest one, so I'm wondering if maybe it just wasn't as healthy or if one of the other fish picked on him or something. Since they are open swimmers, I don't have high hopes that he is hiding in the rocks somewhere, but you never know! I keep hoping I'll walk by the tank and there will be 5 again.

I did notice as I've been poking around and looking in between and under rocks with the flashlight, I've got a crapload of good size bristle worms. Man, those things creep me out. I know they're good for the tank and all, but they are CREEPY!

ReefWeeds

Oh no. Hope you find him. Those look better in a little school.

I agree! They're so small, I can't imagine one lonely red spot. Hopefully the other four will do well if the 5th one is really gone.

teenyreef

Aww thanks for commiserating with me, Teeny. I have looked everywhere and haven't come across the 5th cardinal. It was the smallest one, so I'm wondering if maybe it just wasn't as healthy or if one of the other fish picked on him or something. Since they are open swimmers, I don't have high hopes that he is hiding in the rocks somewhere, but you never know! I keep hoping I'll walk by the tank and there will be 5 again.

I did notice as I've been poking around and looking in between and under rocks with the flashlight, I've got a crapload of good size bristle worms. Man, those things creep me out. I know they're good for the tank and all, but they are CREEPY!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the big bristleworms. I had a about a million little ones, and a couple pretty big ones, for a while. Then I cut way back on feeding for about a month and now I hardly seem them at all any more.

ReefWeeds

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the big bristleworms. I had a about a million little ones, and a couple pretty big ones, for a while. Then I cut way back on feeding for about a month and now I hardly seem them at all any more.

I'm thinking of getting one of those bristle worm traps and trapping the big ones and putting them in the sump. With the NPS gorgs and softies, cutting down on feeding is tough.

Should have put a chip in it.......... :huh: I think you might be right it was a snack for someone else in the tank......not what you wanted to hear I know.

You can use bridal veil netting and put like some frozen food it with a rubber band to keep it together set it in the tank at night and most the time the bristle worms will come out and get stuck in the netting and not be able to get out because of their stingers

ReefWeeds

Should have put a chip in it.......... :huh: I think you might be right it was a snack for someone else in the tank......not what you wanted to hear I know.

Well, it's reality. That's my feeling as well.

You can use bridal veil netting and put like some frozen food it with a rubber band to keep it together set it in the tank at night and most the time the bristle worms will come out and get stuck in the netting and not be able to get out because of their stingers

Great tip!!! I'll try this. Do you put the bridal veil over a dish or just make a little frozen food packet?

ReefWeeds

Did a water change yesterday. A couple photos of my sump :lol:

Fuge:

q9aKdDZ.jpg

Return chamber:

nJoAiv9.jpg

ReefWeeds

Well, my phosphates climbed this week. They had been pretty steady between .01 and .02. One week and they're at .8!! What the heck! The only change I made was trying some of the fauna marin LPS pellets to feed the LPS and rock nems. The corals loved them and I probably fed too much. I am wondering if that caused the issue. Although I am running bioplastics in one of the reactors and the instructions mention that phosphates may rise as a result so I'm wondering if after about 5-6 weeks, I'm seeing an increase in phosphates from that. It's concerning that they would jump so high though in one week.

Anyway, I went and ordered Seachem's seagel which is a mix of their matrix carbon and their phosguard to have on hand if I can't figure it out. But I just noticed JMB indicated that the phosguard can leach aluminum and bother leather corals. GREAT. Didn't read that when I was reading some reviews and doing a bit of research so I'm thinking I'll return that.

Elizabeth94

I ran Phosguard for about a week or two with no bad effects. I do know that it was pulling out nasties because I have some cyano on my glass. My corals looked fine, but I am not sure if one or two weeks is enough time for us to see negative effects.

Anyway, I went and ordered Seachem's seagel which is a mix of their matrix carbon and their phosguard to have on hand if I can't figure it out. But I just noticed JMB indicated that the phosguard can leach aluminum and bother leather corals. GREAT. Didn't read that when I was reading some reviews and doing a bit of research so I'm thinking I'll return that.

ReefWeeds

Well, I've been trying to figure out the flow in my tank for about a month. I finally realized the MP40 was just way too much flow for the dimensions of this tank. Even on the low setting. Plus, with only one, I couldn't get enough random flow throughout the tank. I swapped to RW4s and was seeing some good results, but those things MOVE water. I had them set to three notches below the highest setting and had them working in the C mode. Or whatever it is where they randomly turn on opposite of each other, then off, then one, then off, then two ... you get the picture.

I still thought some of it was too much flow. I adjusted the locations. I was thinking there couldn't be possibly too much flow because everything I read about gorgs and leathers indicated they like lots of flow. Finally with the issues I am having with my toads, I decided to switch both to the lowest setting and see what happened. I did that the day before yesterday. Wouldn't you know that ALL my toads polyped yesterday. I couldn't believe it. They had been extending then shedding, extending, shedding. So they'd only extend one day then go into shed mode again. I have been testing to figure out if there's something bothering them and I thought maybe it was toxins from another coral. I ran more carbon last week and saw no results. I also decreased the lighting a bit as I noticed some LPS losing some color. No impact on toads. Well, apparently I had too much flow hitting them. Everything in the tank looks better. The toads, the LPS, the gorgs. The toads are NOT fully extended yet, but I'm not surprised since they've spent a month off and on shedding constantly. This is the first time this toad has shown polyps for more than a day in a month (not a great photo, lights just started ramping up):

YklA4td.jpg

In unrelated news, Bert seems to have relocated to a new home. One day last week, I noticed him hiding in one of the barnacles that the gobies live in. He was all blotchy and wouldn't even come out for food - which is not like him. Bert is a pig. I figured he tried to jump, hit the screen and freaked himself out since that was the only other time he stayed hidden and wouldn't eat for a day.

Well, he seems to like his new home. I looked into his old cave and noticed a couple big bristle worms so I'm actually thinking they kicked him out and may have startled him at one point since he was always digging in there. Unfortunately, Bert's home isn't as accessible for photos :( But he swims out in the open a lot. What is funny is he and the gobies will actually share a barnacle at times. The gobies bounce back and forth from all of them, Bert seems to only like one particular barnacle. A few photos of Bert in his new home (lights are only blues still).

NJrO2zE.jpg

FYY1Luo.jpg

I finally realized if I turned on the kitchen lights, it would brighten the tank :rolleyes:

c8PKj7D.jpg

Pis0Ak0.jpg

And last but not least, Yum, hopefully on the hunt for bubble algae:

WeyWeea.jpg

Well, it's reality. That's my feeling as well.

Great tip!!! I'll try this. Do you put the bridal veil over a dish or just make a little frozen food packet?

Just basically make a food packet. That fuge is amazing love all the macros!

Archived