SaltCritters.com

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

So jelous, The RFAs at my lfs are 40 bucks ech and they are the size of a silver dollar. Such a rip, maybe I could put an order in for a RFA or 2 by the end of this month after my pens ship out.

VIP has some usually for around $20. $40 isn't a bad price to be honest depending on the colors. I also notice that RFAs have the ability to expand and contract. So while they may only look like the size of a silver dollar, once they are happy and settled they tend to expand.

The nanobox hybrid quad/quad. Planning med/high light corals in middle, low light on edges.

Or heck, may just keep it as is, a rock and water reef with amazing invisible corals and fish. Getting sort of used to it now. Easy peasy.

Very cool!!! What size did you get? The 24"? That's what I've got over mine and I notice the spread is great. Even the very edges aren't completely low light. I have some lower light areas in the back close to the wall for some lower light corals.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

So jelous, The RFAs at my lfs are 40 bucks ech and they are the size of a silver dollar. Such a rip, maybe I could put an order in for a RFA or 2 by the end of this month after my pens ship out.

RareReef is $16 each and they're pretty badass. He's a jerk but the RFA: are awesome

Well, I just had a freakout moment. I've had a big hawaiin feather duster since January 2015. It's been doing well (or so I thought) and i looked today and it's entire crown was in the mouth of one of my green RFAs :wacko: Scared the crap out of me until I realized it was just the crown. Since this is the first time in over a year that it's shed it's crown, I'm not totally worried yet since from my research, they will shed crowns periodically. I did also read that if they start shedding crowns every couple months, something is irritating it. I did move a giant sinularia near the duster a month ago, so I am worried that that irritated the duster, but not sure yet. I will keep a close eye on it and make sure it keeps getting some good phyto in its area. The crown had grown to span about 4" when fully open from about 2" when I first got it so I'm so hoping it isn't dead and/or isn't going down hill.

RareReef is $16 each and they're pretty badass. He's a jerk but the RFA: are awesome

So the $16 each means you need to order 10 - right? And does that include shipping? You can't just buy one $16 RFA. VIP has the option to buy just one $20 nem, but of course you do need to pay shipping. Personally, I also really like how nice and how caring Frank is at VIP. I will happily pay $4 more a nem for that level of customer service personally.

Your duster is probably fine, mine shed its crown several times over the 4(?) years I had it.

Whew. This is good to hear. It's not a good sight to see to see the entire thing in an RFA's mouth :blink:

took a picture of what I saw:

Tube:

2pBoWLe.jpg

Crown about 5" away from the tube:

jI8pQmT.jpg

2VNHZJd.jpg

natalia_la_loca

Just be patient, it may take a few weeks for the new crown to pop out.

I spy vermetids! The bane of my reefing existence. This weekend I'm picking up one of my old zoa rocks at the LFS. Going to crunch or scrape every single vermetid before adding to my reefbowl.

natalia_la_loca

You know, I wonder if the vermetids might have irritated your duster. There are several of them in close proximity.

HarryPotter

Well, I just had a freakout moment. I've had a big hawaiin feather duster since January 2015. It's been doing well (or so I thought) and i looked today and it's entire crown was in the mouth of one of my green RFAs :wacko: Scared the crap out of me until I realized it was just the crown. Since this is the first time in over a year that it's shed it's crown, I'm not totally worried yet since from my research, they will shed crowns periodically. I did also read that if they start shedding crowns every couple months, something is irritating it. I did move a giant sinularia near the duster a month ago, so I am worried that that irritated the duster, but not sure yet. I will keep a close eye on it and make sure it keeps getting some good phyto in its area. The crown had grown to span about 4" when fully open from about 2" when I first got it so I'm so hoping it isn't dead and/or isn't going down hill.

So the $16 each means you need to order 10 - right? And does that include shipping? You can't just buy one $16 RFA. VIP has the option to buy just one $20 nem, but of course you do need to pay shipping. Personally, I also really like how nice and how caring Frank is at VIP. I will happily pay $4 more a nem for that level of customer service personally.

I was on the other page and didn't see your reply. I agree, especially after how he helped Annette.

Just be patient, it may take a few weeks for the new crown to pop out.

I spy vermetids! The bane of my reefing existence. This weekend I'm picking up one of my old zoa rocks at the LFS. Going to crunch or scrape every single vermetid before adding to my reefbowl.

You know, I wonder if the vermetids might have irritated your duster. There are several of them in close proximity.

Good point about the vermatids. I hate them. I take nips to them once a month and crack them off at the base. This area I haven't done anything to since putting the rocks in there as I didn't want to bother the duster, but then by me not doing anything, may have bothered the duster! while the duster has no crown, I'm going to go to town on those suckers this weekend.

and that is really freaking cool that the LFS still has one of your old rocks! I like that a piece of your old tank will be in your new reef bowl :)

outerorbiter

Good point about the vermatids. I hate them. I take nips to them once a month and crack them off at the base. This area I haven't done anything to since putting the rocks in there as I didn't want to bother the duster, but then by me not doing anything, may have bothered the duster! while the duster has no crown, I'm going to go to town on those suckers this weekend.

and that is really freaking cool that the LFS still has one of your old rocks! I like that a piece of your old tank will be in your new reef bowl :)

I put superglue in the hole to kill them. I assume it works?

I wanted to post a couple photos of this awesome toady I picked up for a friend :ninja:

The colors are super cool as are the polyps. I kinda want to keep it :blush: but it will be shipped out later this week.

Vrbf2eU.jpg

I was on the other page and didn't see your reply. I agree, especially after how he helped Annette.

Yeah, I mean that was sooooo nice that I just bought 3 rfas and a pump from him as a thank you. I guess I don't know how to take nicety, I still feel I owe someone so I wanted to show him my appreciation by buying a few.

I'll put the 3 rfas in my 10g while the 40 is cycling. That is an over the top offer. Then later once settled I'll get the 10 free rfas. And personally, I like that he has a range of rfas and that you can pick what you want.

I wanted to post a couple photos of this awesome toady I picked up for a friend :ninja:

The colors are super cool as are the polyps. I kinda want to keep it :blush: but it will be shipped out later this week.

Vrbf2eU.jpg

Uh, very pretty, cool lavender.

Vrbf2eU.jpg

you should definitely frag a couple of pieces off that!

Yeah, I mean that was sooooo nice that I just bought 3 rfas and a pump from him as a thank you. I guess I don't know how to take nicety, I still feel I owe someone so I wanted to show him my appreciation by buying a few.

I'll put the 3 rfas in my 10g while the 40 is cycling. That is an over the top offer. Then later once settled I'll get the 10 free rfas. And personally, I like that he has a range of rfas and that you can pick what you want.

Did you get two red ones and 1 yellowish one?

I placed an order with VIP last week too. RareReef was actually having a sale so it was $150 for 10 RFAs. I was about to place an order then remembered his stupid shipping policy of not having a shipping policy. So I got a bunch of RFAs from VIP instead. Frank is so nice and replies to messages instantly. And he ships when it is convenient for ME, the buyer.

you should definitely frag a couple of pieces off that!

:) Nah. I promised the person It was going to it wouldn't come to ANY harm from even "accidental" fragging in my care but I did lay claim to the first baby :lol:

Did you get two red ones and 1 yellowish one?

I placed an order with VIP last week too. RareReef was actually having a sale so it was $150 for 10 RFAs. I was about to place an order then remembered his stupid shipping policy of not having a shipping policy. So I got a bunch of RFAs from VIP instead. Frank is so nice and replies to messages instantly. And he ships when it is convenient for ME, the buyer.

Frank is awesome. And the quality of his RFAs are just as awesome. You can tell the pride he takes in his business.

Isn't it super expensive to ship one coral out?

Isn't it super expensive to ship one coral out?

Some other stuff is going along with the shipping. this particular toad is quite large - stands at least 6" high for the larger of the two (they're connected at the base) and the bigger of the two has a cap of at least 8" when fully extended. The second one is probably 1/2 - 3/4 of that size.

Stellathegreat, I like the softy revolution going on in here. You keep some of that awesome toadstool? :ninja: I won't tell

:lol: Nope, I'm not keeping any of it. Y'all know the person it's going to so there's NO hiding it if a clone ends up in my tank somehow :lol:

:lol: Nope, I'm not keeping any of it. Y'all know the person it's going to so there's NO hiding it if a clone ends up in my tank somehow :lol:

He better cut me off some :wub: too.

.....coral hoarder.

I've come to the conclusion it's one of the many reasons we love the guy :P

HA! Well this guy is huge so it will drop babies probably pretty quickly. So I'm for sure not clipping it :) I would get worried that it would not fare as well in shipping if it was fragged at all "accidentally" or not :)

Archived