Pod Your Reef

Stella's Sixty-Six

ReefWeeds

Kind of interesting they all decided to shed in the same week. Are they frags of a shared parent?

Maybe the lightning storm set it off?

And Franklin always looks like he's contemplating the meaning of life or something really deep like that... Or finalizing his nefarious plans. :ninja:

no, they're all different toads - One started shedding, then the one by it started then boom. All my toads were shedding! Weird. I did change the location of the MP40 so now I'm thinking that maybe changing up the flow set it off.

HA! It's definitely the nefarious plans :lol: His thoughts go as deep as what can he get into and/or have fun with :)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice pieces. They look huge but it's only because the ones I'm getting are small!

Well, I took them close up. But the fiji is big for sure! And the other two are good sizes. Glenn had some great prices for those!

upgrade time!

:lol: NO!

Gorgeous. This tank is inspirational!

:blush: Thanks Newstead! That's really nice of you to say. I need to go check out your thread!

:blush: Thanks Newstead! That's really nice of you to say. I need to go check out your thread!

Nothing to see yet! Got amazing lid this week from smiz .. planning to hang nanobox hybrid tomorrow, do large water change and finally get something in the tank other than rock and water! Did put 2 red macros in sump last week and they are doing great so far, loving the nitrates from the cycle.

Then its going to be a buying spree ...

Nothing to see yet! Got amazing lid this week from smiz .. planning to hang nanobox hybrid tomorrow, do large water change and finally get something in the tank other than rock and water! Did put 2 red macros in sump last week and they are doing great so far, loving the nitrates from the cycle.

Then its going to be a buying spree ...

You have a thread??? I don't see one posted with your signature. I'm kinda doing small shopping sprees and putting things in the 10 & 20g in the meantime, gotta do something. I'll have to introduce everything slow.

I picked these grandis on Saturday from a not so local LFS. I had gotten some green ones earlier this year but they didn't recover from shipping so I've been looking for some ever since! I actually really like the cinnamon ones. The largest head is about the size of a half dollar. I'm loving it! I put them on their own little frag rock so hopefully they grow and cover the frag plug and white rock. And this way I don't have to worry about fragging them if they start to grow so much. The guy at the LFS kept telling me how poisonous they are and that he has had bad reactions from them on occasion. So I don't want to be fragging these if I don't have to :)

NHHL0wB.jpg

I've not been so good at testing lately so after my water change yesterday, I tested what I've got tests to test for.

Nitrates: 4

Phosphates: .02

Calcium: 460

Alk: 9

Magnesium: 1360

I still have bubble algae everyfreakingwhere. I clean them out and then I swear they come back 2x as bad within a week. Here's two weeks of growth. Seriously, I had completely gotten what I could see off this branch a couple weeks ago:

u59fUkl.jpg

I think my nutrients got a little low over the past couple weeks :wacko: I hadn't been feeding as much I don't think as I had gotten some of that soft frozen food and it is much easier to just use a little rather than breaking off a chunk or cutting off part of a cube - so I think i was dumping less food into the tank without meaning to. The NPS gorgonians are loving the new V2o food as is my stereonepthia. Both are doing really well. What started not doing well were my toads which I think like higher nutrients as well as my GSP and my cespitularia. I need to find a good mix of not too much food and enough food to keep everything happy. I found that if my nitrates get below 5, some of the stuff starts to not do as well.

Last Wednesday (I think), I was blowing off some rocks and hit my torch with my baster. A bunch of tentacles flew off from the impact and it hasn't been happy since. It doesn't have brown goo on it, but gets some white goo around where I injured it. I'm siphoning off what I can, so I hope it recovers. I feel bad :(

Oh! And my purple plating sponge! It had been doing so well, encrusting, starting to plate and swirl. Then over the past couple weeks, it literally started to turn whitish and disintegrate! That's what first clued me into dropping nutrients. I don't think that likes clean water. I was going to send a piece to JBB, however, since it was turning white and wasn't happy at all, I didn't.

jedimasterben

That is exactly my experience with these sponges, though IMHO it's got nothing to do with nutrients, but silica. When I stop dosing sodium silicate for a while mine die back, and they did that last week, both my red one and purple one disintegrated in a couple of days.

That is exactly my experience with these sponges, though IMHO it's got nothing to do with nutrients, but silica. When I stop dosing sodium silicate for a while mine die back, and they did that last week, both my red one and purple one disintegrated in a couple of days.

That is interesting to know! I assumed it was nutrients. I was so sad when I saw it turning white after it had been doing so well. My red one did the same freaking thing as well. So when you dose silicates, does that increase phosphates or nitrates at all or is it something totally unrelated...

jedimasterben

That is interesting to know! I assumed it was nutrients. I was so sad when I saw it turning white after it had been doing so well. My red one did the same freaking thing as well. So when you dose silicates, does that increase phosphates or nitrates at all or is it something totally unrelated...

Sodium silicate is just sodium silicate.

I am never trying sponge again. Got a red one from KPA and had the same thing happened. Went white then went poof. But if this sodium silicate stuff works for you, I may try again =P.

As for bubble algae, my blasto colony had some that I removed outside of the DT a couple of weeks ago. Have not seen any since. Good luck with your fight. Although a big tonga branch of just bubbles is kinda cool =P.

I am never trying sponge again. Got a red one from KPA and had the same thing happened. Went white then went poof. But if this sodium silicate stuff works for you, I may try again =P.

As for bubble algae, my blasto colony had some that I removed outside of the DT a couple of weeks ago. Have not seen any since. Good luck with your fight. Although a big tonga branch of just bubbles is kinda cool =P.

Surprisingly, I'm not having trouble with the red ball and red tree sponges from KPA - but these photosynthetic ones are the bane of my existence. Really weird.

Yeah, I never had any bubble algae then got some frags in November and all the frags grew bubble algae. I had glued some up to my rock scape and some were on a frag rack. Well, I tried keeping up with the removal, but obviously I didn't and it spread. Everywhere.

It does actually look cool - and the fact that I have mostly softies (well, and some LPS), it doesn't seem to bother them. I try to keep on top of it, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I'm never going to get rid of all of it unless I breakdown my tank, take out all the rocks and dip all of them in H2o2. Which I'm not going to do. I even have it growing on my LOC lines. Ugh.

Archived