Cultivated Reef

Sunstar's Nemesis III - March 2019 - looking... mature...

Sunstar

the last holdouts of the Bryopsis is in shadier lower flow areas. I did a water change today, and added my second dose, and shifted the rocks a bit to allow for light and for flow. Other than that, everyting looks lovely.

• Like 2

Okay... So I did the bryopsis treatment with fluconazole. Silly me did not think to take a full tank shot to show the impact of my frustration.  I did two treatments to ensure full eradication.

first my story...

My tank suffered some neglect over the past while. I had some unexpected life issues crop up suddenly and my tank suffered neglect.  My fish got fed, water changes happened - not as frequently, and I started to see the effects of this. Part of the reason for the suffering my tank had was my frustration at this bryopsis. It happened when I moved back in July. I had a little, which had been in check, but I guess things got sent out of whack and it took a foothold. I would pull it away every few days, I would peroxide areas when I could and it would work for a day or two and then it would grow back. I'd pull it back and it would return about 2 inches long, not only this, it was starting in other areas. I was losing hope.  I contacted a friend who said to look up fluconazole -  I already had, And that he could help me out -  if that was the route I wanted to go. Having tried the magnesium and peroxide routes, I was willing for one more attempt.

So my friend scales me out some of this medicine - he has a big bag of it. He grins at me and says, as he is putting the white powder into a smaller bag for me to take home "This does not look suspect at all!" I reply, I just will get a razor so my corals can start their new addiction." (or words to that effect). I give him a few bucks for two doses to treat my tank, and perhaps that was the best money spent in a long time.

Here are my observations:

I took out the media as per instructions on online websites. Most of it needed to be changed, I left the grotty filter floss in the basket. Perhaps that's my old freshwater side speaking not to change all media at once. bags got thrown into a bucket to be cleaned later. I split the dose into two portions and as equal as possible, blended it with tank water and poured it into the sump.

After a while -  about 12 -  24 hours later I noticed air bubbles forming on all the threads. after a day or so the threads began to go grey. I pulled some out to take a closer look and areas of the bryopsis appeared to be breaking down inside. After 48 hours it seemed like that every time I looked at my tank the bryopsis was less. Nothing else seemed affected by this treatment, even my caluptra.  After about 7 days there was very little left and my tank was looking tired but okay. I did seee some areas still hanging on to life. Interestingly these areas of stubborn survival were in more sheltered areas. Sheltered from light and flow. At day 10 the bryopsis was all but gone.  Being that I did not want to risk it returning, or even growing resistant to the drug, I decided to do a second dose, but this time, I opened up the structure so that it received more light and was also getting more flow. my basket holding my calauptra fell down, and my crabs had a feast and wiped that out -  so I no longer have any in this tank. After a couple days, the bryopsis was gone from those stubborn areas.

I added the media bag -  chemipure blue back to the tank this past week and did the second water change yesterday - I deem the treatment officially over and very successful.

As for my media bags.

I sanitised the media bags using the same cleaners I use for my wine making. (I sold the idea of buying a rodi system for making wine and whatnot, we are doing that now) Afterwards, I soaked them in prime before hanging up to dry.

bry.pngsans.png

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

Okay... So I did the bryopsis treatment with fluconazole. Silly me did not think to take a full tank shot to show the impact of my frustration.  I did two treatments to ensure full eradication.

first my story...

My tank suffered some neglect over the past while. I had some unexpected life issues crop up suddenly and my tank suffered neglect.  My fish got fed, water changes happened - not as frequently, and I started to see the effects of this. Part of the reason for the suffering my tank had was my frustration at this bryopsis. It happened when I moved back in July. I had a little, which had been in check, but I guess things got sent out of whack and it took a foothold. I would pull it away every few days, I would peroxide areas when I could and it would work for a day or two and then it would grow back. I'd pull it back and it would return about 2 inches long, not only this, it was starting in other areas. I was losing hope.  I contacted a friend who said to look up fluconazole -  I already had, And that he could help me out -  if that was the route I wanted to go. Having tried the magnesium and peroxide routes, I was willing for one more attempt.

So my friend scales me out some of this medicine - he has a big bag of it. He grins at me and says, as he is putting the white powder into a smaller bag for me to take home "This does not look suspect at all!" I reply, I just will get a razor so my corals can start their new addiction." (or words to that effect). I give him a few bucks for two doses to treat my tank, and perhaps that was the best money spent in a long time.

Here are my observations:

I took out the media as per instructions on online websites. Most of it needed to be changed, I left the grotty filter floss in the basket. Perhaps that's my old freshwater side speaking not to change all media at once. bags got thrown into a bucket to be cleaned later. I split the dose into two portions and as equal as possible, blended it with tank water and poured it into the sump.

After a while -  about 12 -  24 hours later I noticed air bubbles forming on all the threads. after a day or so the threads began to go grey. I pulled some out to take a closer look and areas of the bryopsis appeared to be breaking down inside. After 48 hours it seemed like that every time I looked at my tank the bryopsis was less. Nothing else seemed affected by this treatment, even my caluptra.  After about 7 days there was very little left and my tank was looking tired but okay. I did seee some areas still hanging on to life. Interestingly these areas of stubborn survival were in more sheltered areas. Sheltered from light and flow. At day 10 the bryopsis was all but gone.  Being that I did not want to risk it returning, or even growing resistant to the drug, I decided to do a second dose, but this time, I opened up the structure so that it received more light and was also getting more flow. my basket holding my calauptra fell down, and my crabs had a feast and wiped that out -  so I no longer have any in this tank. After a couple days, the bryopsis was gone from those stubborn areas.

I added the media bag -  chemipure blue back to the tank this past week and did the second water change yesterday - I deem the treatment officially over and very successful.

As for my media bags.

I sanitised the media bags using the same cleaners I use for my wine making. (I sold the idea of buying a rodi system for making wine and whatnot, we are doing that now) Afterwards, I soaked them in prime before hanging up to dry.

bry.pngsans.png

Yay!!! Awesome results. 

Okay I am in a good mood today, mum's present is started... my green star polyps lost the battle to the bryopsis (they were overwhelmed frequently) but I hope that tiny clingon in the crabs tank might strengthen and the colony isn't lost.... 

But I took some photos... excuse the mess....

top down pic... the trumpet... might be getting overwhelmingly huge...

tds.jpg

corner.jpg

snail.jpg

trumpet.jpg

• Like 4
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Wow, that trumpet is impressive!  I love the RFA’s. 

I had that for about three full years now. I bought it as a single head for my 2.5 gallon.

I never saw this thread Sunstar but I am glad I found it.  Great looking tank and I love your coral choices.  I was also glad the treatment worked on the biospsis.

I may have found a tiny bit still left in the shadows, but I am watching that spot and removed it -if it gets thick, I will re-retreat.  light is the key to this treatment.

the shaded areas seemed to take longer for the bryopsis to go away.

The first run all the areas that are being open to light vanished in a hurry, the areas that were over shadowed still had some. (Day 0 - 10) (water change day)

Second dose I opened up the rocks, tipped one back and let the light hit those areas - they too vanished shortly after exposure to the light. (Day 10 - day 25)

the area that still has a tiny thread -  and I am watching it, is over shadowed by the shape of hte rock and by the leather coral that is there..

When I did the second dose, I also moved my favia around so that shadowed areas and the area she was sitting on was exposed to the light. 

I may run a third dose in a month or and try to tip the rocks again to allow for more exposure to light. But it seems the  mix of medication light (and possibly flow) work to erradicate it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On a side note -  my husband got some a pair of battery backups free and as salvage from work. hte one needs new bats, the other is running and is hooked up to my light and pumps.

So if power cuts, I will have that atleast for my tank.

• Like 2