inTank Media Baskets

The lone Mangrove-New scape and mantis

Giga

Love it. Makes me want a mangrove!

B)

Gorgeous!

I notice you remove the sepals (are they called sepals?) that house the new leaves as part of a shoot. My mangroves regularly keep them till the shoot starts to bend and I manually remove them, is there any down/upside to this?

Those are actually called stipules, sepal refers to flowering type trees/shrubs. No I don't forcibly remove them, that was one from another new leaf pair that was in the water. You shouldn't remove them as they protect the leaf while it's tender. I wait till they fall off by them self, when I can blow it off, or just barely hanging on so I don't have to fish it out of the water like I did that one.

Just ordered some red mangroves that I'll grow outside in freshwater until I can get another tank. :)

Nice! Just make sure they don't get to cold in winter, kill 'em outright

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Nice! Just make sure they don't get to cold in winter, kill 'em outright

The coldest it ever gets here is in the 70s so I should be good.

• Like 1

Do you use the dropped/pruned mangrove leaves for your dart enclosure?

No there are salts in the leaves and dart frogs are rather sensitive so the leaves go into my hermit crab tank.

Did a re-scape this weekend to more something that I like. I also bought a few things, first off being some Florida live rock-only 4.5lbs worth but more then enough for this small tank.

1025151242e22_zpszreuqv1y.jpg

Here's the roots-they have grown pretty fast-which makes me happy :D

10251515572_zpsa8qdscds.jpg

Next let me show you the filtration-it's simply a Ehiem 2232(filled with carbon and LR) canister filter for this tank and the trick is where the in and out are. They are pretty well hidden. The intake is in the back left of the tank.

1025151557a2_zpskfrdgb1u.jpg

and the output is on the right of the tank-it's a drilled pvc bar the is inline with the sandbed. Funny how there is a blue spot light effect right there but I never noticed it till I took this pic :rolleyes:

1025151557b2_zpsg7gphkhq.jpg

1025151558_zps8lbcvtdm.jpg

And here's the new FTS-still need to work the sand a bit but it's close-please don't mind the heater I need to buy an inline one

1025151557_HDR2_zpsvmkx0veu.jpg

Next is the first inhabitant-A tiny little mantis. Mantis shrimp are the coolest creature in the sea in my opinion. He's been exploring the tank till he finally found a hole in the rock. He was clicking in there all night.

1025151516c2_zpsktnstbtl.jpg

1025151516d2_zpsbngzhmfe.jpg

10251516062_zpsdqcchkz1.jpg

1025151606a2_zps9tt0xs6i.jpg

10251518152_zpskvszexqj.jpg

• Like 11

might be selling my inline heater soon if youre interested in getting that heater out of the display

how old is it? and what size? may take you up on the offer

Great job with the filtration! Hidden very well.

Yeah came out pretty well :lol:

The growth is ridiculous. I really need to set up an outdoor grow.

I get pretty decent growth on the leaves, but your root growth is impressive.

I have do have pretty good green thumbs but not all tree's are equal-this particular mangrove has good genetics and grows stronger then some of my other mangrove growing in the same conditions.

Yey a mantis! Easy to take care of, love 'em. What kind of mantis? My Gertie came from Florida waters.

I think it's a G viridis, but I'm not positive. I haven't been able to get a good shot of his meral spots to get a positive ID. Mantis are by far my favorite sea creature and I miss having one-this tank was made just for a mantis and I am happy now. It's funny he had a tiny little clam yesterday that he found inside the rock. I watched him smash it open and chow down-so cool :wub:

forgot to share this one-kinda see his meral spots

10251515592_zpsnsdkz8sq.jpg

• Like 6

its got about a full year of use on it.

​200 watts

​1/2 fittings

maybe a little big-i'll look at the fittings

Yeah, It'll be 2 yrs on Halloween since I've had Gertie. She was .5" when I found her. Can't imagine ever not having one.

Yeah they are so fun to watch and listen to click-click-click in the living room

I just love their interactions w/ humans.

Yeah! and the funny things they do like wall up their hole at night and all the homemaking they do

10281522182_zpsltxw3g5c.jpg

Also bought some really small hermits-for the mantis and its funny watching them do their thing too

10281520512_zpsqvy9i2hm.jpg

• Like 6

Frustrating news- two of the aerial roots that have hit water and pretty much withered away an inch above the water line. I have no idea why this happens, as I have had it happen before. So I did two things I cut one with a sharp razor blade and use cut paste on it and let the other root just to it's self. We shall see what happens

1031151957c_zpseyyejqd4.jpg

Also fed the mantis a silverside head-yum!

1031151954b_zpsipz7rf92.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...