Cultivated Reef

Fusion 20 Gal Club

uwdanno

• 2 weeks later...
Finding Paulo

Getting my tank tomorrow.. One question for all you nuvo 20 users... Is the I'm ghost desktop skimmer worth it? Is it good?

Also is the I'm reactor worth it? Don't know if I should return it, switch it out, or keep it.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting my tank tomorrow.. One question for all you nuvo 20 users... Is the I'm ghost desktop skimmer worth it? Is it good?

Also is the I'm reactor worth it? Don't know if I should return it, switch it out, or keep it.

I have and use both! In the reactor I run biopellets, and the skimmer, now that it's nice and broken in it definitely pulls a lot of skimmate. Right now I have to empty the collection cup weekly, and it's a nice dark tea color. I'll get some micro bubbles when I get my hands in the tank or seemingly for no reason irregularly but it's not a huge deal. Neither are silent, but the tank's in the living room and it all gets drowned out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my Fusion 20. She is 1 year, 3 months old. I should have taken photos at night but everything looked nice and fluffy at the moment. I'm starting to dabble in sps corals. So far, so good except my blue tenius is rather brown. It's growing like crazy and has good polyp extension, it just lost its blue. Looks blue from the top though. I'm in hopes it will color up eventually.

post-87572-0-27618600-1466802714_thumb.jpeg

post-87572-0-05864000-1466802729_thumb.jpeg

post-87572-0-61259800-1466802876_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Holy hell. PSA to blow and vacuum out your back chambers. I haven't done mine in far too long. I did it today and was pulling serious nasty out. Making it a weekly routine now.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

FTS October 27, 201629968620823_57c1fcfba1_b.jpg

JC's IM Nuvo Fusion 20

Holy hell. PSA to blow and vacuum out your back chambers. I haven't done mine in far too long. I did it today and was pulling serious nasty out. Making it a weekly routine now.

Would you be able to provide the steps you did to complete this maintenance task? I can see nasty algae and other kinds of gunk growing in my chambers so I probably need to do this, but I feel like I could screw up for lack of experience or the right tools.

• Like 2
Obsessed Reefer

Would you be able to provide the steps you did to complete this maintenance task? I can see nasty algae and other kinds of gunk growing in my chambers so I probably need to do this, but I feel like I could screw up for lack of experience or the right tools.

What I used to do is shut off the return pump, drain enough water so that the level is below the overflow and return line, then take a turkey baster and just start blowing it in the back chambers. When the water would get all cloudy, I'd syphon the rest out, and that would be my water change. Usually did it once a month.

• Like 2

What I used to do is shut off the return pump, drain enough water so that the level is below the overflow and return line, then take a turkey baster and just start blowing it in the back chambers. When the water would get all cloudy, I'd syphon the rest out, and that would be my water change. Usually did it once a month.

Ah ok I get it. Thanks for the help. I've been doing water changes from the main display since the skimmer and heater stay on.

I'll give it a shot soon.

Ah ok I get it. Thanks for the help. I've been doing water changes from the main display since the skimmer and heater stay on.

I'll give it a shot soon.

That's how I do it too. I switch off rear chambers each water change. You'll be shocked at what you pull out. Good luck

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Over the weekend, bought a Fluval PS2 Skimmer - http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/14324-mini-protein-skimmer/#.WEShcfl96Uk

Happy to report that it fits quite snuggly in the skimmer section in the back, been running for about 48 hours now, and is skimming quite wet, but it appears to be still going through the wear in period.

Figured it was a bit of a cheaper alternative to the Tunze 9001.

• Like 2

Over the weekend, bought a Fluval PS2 Skimmer - http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/us/product/14324-mini-protein-skimmer/#.WEShcfl96Uk

Happy to report that it fits quite snuggly in the skimmer section in the back, been running for about 48 hours now, and is skimming quite wet, but it appears to be still going through the wear in period.

Figured it was a bit of a cheaper alternative to the Tunze 9001.

Was just researching that skimmer, gonna pick one up for sure now.

Just picked up a mint used Fusion 20 and IM stand for $150. It came with a few extras too. The pump doesn't work but I'm going to replace that anyway. I've been out or Aquaria for a while but the bug has hit again. The tank was too good of a deal to pass up and not do another. My wife disagrees...lol.

I've been reading up a bunch and here's what I'm planning:

Have:

-Current USA Orbit IC LED w/EFlux PH (got a smoking deal on this too at about $130, I don't plan on anything too light needy)
-came with inTank media baskets
-older Vortech MP10 (I may not use/need this with the EFlux PH I have)
Need:
-new quieter pump(s)/hoses to fit Tunze skimmer eventually (what's the consensus on which pump(s) to go with?)
-AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO w/IM HydroFill Ti return bracket
-Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75w heater
Eventually:
-Tunze 9001 protein skimmer
-inTank fuge basket in accessory chamber
-JBJ Nano-Glo refugium light
Maybe:
-IM Spin Stream return nozzles
-partially cover intake slots to raise water level/volume (use inTank surface skimmers?)
-IM MiniMax desktop media reactor
-IM micron filter sock in one media chamber
Rear chambers:
-left media chamber: media basket w/Stevie T filter floss (top), Purigen (middle) and Chemi-Pure Elite (bottom)
-left accessory chamber: inTank fuge basket
-middle: Tunze skimmer eventually
-right accessory chamber: heater, maybe another fuge, maybe media reactor
-right media chamber: IM micron filter sock?
I've got a bunch of nice Pukani rock and about 30lbs of Tropic Eden Aragasnow sugar sized sand from back in the day. I'm not sure if I will go with this or Reefsavers and another type of sand.
This is a work in progress of course and I've been traveling a bit. Hopefully I can get things started over the holidays.
  • Like 1

Just picked up a mint used Fusion 20 and IM stand for $150. It came with a few extras too. The pump doesn't work but I'm going to replace that anyway. I've been out or Aquaria for a while but the bug has hit again. The tank was too good of a deal to pass up and not do another. My wife disagrees...lol.

I've been reading up a bunch and here's what I'm planning:

Have:

-Current USA Orbit IC LED w/EFlux PH (got a smoking deal on this too at about $130, I don't plan on anything too light needy)

-came with inTank media baskets

-older Vortech MP10 (I may not use/need this with the EFlux PH I have)

Need:

-new quieter pump(s)/hoses to fit Tunze skimmer eventually (what's the consensus on which pump(s) to go with?)

-AutoAqua Smart Micro ATO w/IM HydroFill Ti return bracket

-Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75w heater

Eventually:

-Tunze 9001 protein skimmer

-inTank fuge basket in accessory chamber

-JBJ Nano-Glo refugium light

Maybe:

-IM Spin Stream return nozzles

-partially cover intake slots to raise water level/volume (use inTank surface skimmers?)

-IM MiniMax desktop media reactor

-IM micron filter sock in one media chamber

Rear chambers:

-left media chamber: media basket w/Stevie T filter floss (top), Purigen (middle) and Chemi-Pure Elite (bottom)

-left accessory chamber: inTank fuge basket

-middle: Tunze skimmer eventually

-right accessory chamber: heater, maybe another fuge, maybe media reactor

-right media chamber: IM micron filter sock?

I've got a bunch of nice Pukani rock and about 30lbs of Tropic Eden Aragasnow sugar sized sand from back in the day. I'm not sure if I will go with this or Reefsavers and another type of sand.

This is a work in progress of course and I've been traveling a bit. Hopefully I can get things started over the holidays.

Awesome plan!

• Like 1