Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fusion 20 Gal Club

uwdanno

Hi all, I am starting a fusion 20g reef and have decided to go with a NanoBox Duo plus M as the light and wanted to get feedback if I should get the 9" gooseneck or 15" gooseneck? Light schedules and general impression of the light would also be appreciated from those of you who are running it!

• Like 1
On 3/27/2018 at 12:47 PM, Zach W said:

Hi all, I am starting a fusion 20g reef and have decided to go with a NanoBox Duo plus M as the light and wanted to get feedback if I should get the 9" gooseneck or 15" gooseneck? Light schedules and general impression of the light would also be appreciated from those of you who are running it!

great light. id go with a 15" this way you can raise and lower it comfortably as you wish to help with spread. i had a tide over a im10 and it was a great light but with the 9" didnt feel like i could center it or raise it where i wanted for that nice even spread at a good height

On 3/25/2018 at 6:53 PM, schleppey said:

I am looking for a quality protein skimmer. I have been using the air driven Reef Glass and it is not bad, it just has not skimmed very consistently at all for me over the course of 3 air pumps and 6 months. Whether it was user error or not I am giving it to my brother so I need a new skimmer anyway. I am wondering what skimmer you guys use. I might choose the tunze 9001 and remove a baffle if I have to but I would prefer not to. If you guys have better ideas for a strong protein skimmer that works with our tank that would be appreciated.

Aquamaxx NF1 looks promising.  There are a few vids out there on a Nuvo10. No mods needed.  The collection cup is removable and the footprint isn't bad. 

• Like 1

We'll I just purchased a IM Fusion 20 and plan to start a journal soon but was curious what fellow Fusion 20 folks thought was the right amount of live rock for the tank?  From what I gather the volume of the display side is about 15 gallons and I'm thinking of using Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock so maybe 25-30 lbs or less if I used a less dense type of rock? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks! 

Hi everyone, I am getting ready to start setting up my own fusion 20 and I was wondering what people were using in their custom caddies? I currently only have 1 (should I get a second?) and wanted to get some idea on what people are using in the different chambers. Thanks!

15 hours ago, Zuma said:

We'll I just purchased a IM Fusion 20 and plan to start a journal soon but was curious what fellow Fusion 20 folks thought was the right amount of live rock for the tank?  From what I gather the volume of the display side is about 15 gallons and I'm thinking of using Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock so maybe 25-30 lbs or less if I used a less dense type of rock? Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks! 

Excellent choice!  I have about 12 pounds of  Fiji premium live rock and 10ml of Seachem Matrix in the caddies. About a half inch of sand bed. I wanted a minimalist look with more swim area in the beginning with only 8lbs in the display and matrix in the caddies.  Use your rear chambers for additional surface area if you want to go this route.  

2 hours ago, Zach W said:

Hi everyone, I am getting ready to start setting up my own fusion 20 and I was wondering what people were using in their custom caddies? I currently only have 1 (should I get a second?) and wanted to get some idea on what people are using in the different chambers. Thanks!

2 caddies:

With reactor and skimmer:

Top - filter floss

Mid and bottom - matrix

Without reactor and skimmer:

Top - filter floss

Mid - chemipure elite or blue on left, matrix on right

Bottom - matrix

4 hours ago, Repower said:

Excellent choice!  I have about 12 pounds of  Fiji premium live rock and 10ml of Seachem Matrix in the caddies. About a half inch of sand bed. I wanted a minimalist look with more swim area in the beginning with only 8lbs in the display and matrix in the caddies.  Use your rear chambers for additional surface area if you want to go this route.  

Thanks for the info, looking forward to getting my tank going!

Infinite0180

Hey guys,

im slowly setting up a fusion 20 and today i recieved my ehiem jaher 75 watt trutemp heater. I picked this up on marine depot thinking it would be a good chioce and im pretty sure i saw it listed in plenty of the build threads on here for the fusion 20. Anyways i pulled it out and it appears that in the 2nd chamber its too long. anybody using this heater? Were should i put it? I dont want it in my display! Should i send t back and get the cobalt neotherm? Thanks...

I don't have this heater, but if you take out your return pump temporarily, can you get the heater in the very bottom then put the return back in?

Yeah I just looked and thats probably not going to work haha. Maybe just have it at an angle in the main chamber? If I remember right, that heater is kinda long. Neo-therm is the way to go for these tanks IMO.

Just a couple pics of the tank. Can't believe the tank has been running for 7 months, I lost a few acros due to an unknown reason, I think it was a quick change in alk, I've been testing everyday and it's been pretty steady at 8.5dkh, I also picked up a two spot hogfish, the pic isn't mine but that's because I suck at photography. I know it's bland but I really love the red monti I just picked up.    236678.jpg
20180416_151159.jpg
IMG_20180415_201317_274.jpg
20180415_195407.jpg

Grassy Noel
On 4/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, Infinite0180 said:

Im going to play around with it. I really dont want to return it and wait for another one!

I did this exact same thing on the advice of Marine Depot.  While I think you can get the eheim into the middle chamber (with the return pump), I ended up going with a 75 watt neo-therm in the second chamber.  The neo-therm is the best heater I've ever used, I would highly recommend it.  It would also fit in the central chamber if you're trying to save room in the second chamber(s) for a reactor, skimmer, or something else.

I use my eheim heater to mix up new salt water...if you do use it in your tank, make sure to calibrate it with a good thermometer.  When I got mine, I set the dial on the heater to 78 degrees and the water went to almost 90.  I have to set it at like 66 degrees to get 78.

Infinite0180
3 hours ago, Grassy Noel said:

I did this exact same thing on the advice of Marine Depot.  While I think you can get the eheim into the middle chamber (with the return pump), I ended up going with a 75 watt neo-therm in the second chamber.  The neo-therm is the best heater I've ever used, I would highly recommend it.  It would also fit in the central chamber if you're trying to save room in the second chamber(s) for a reactor, skimmer, or something else.

I use my eheim heater to mix up new salt water...if you do use it in your tank, make sure to calibrate it with a good thermometer.  When I got mine, I set the dial on the heater to 78 degrees and the water went to almost 90.  I have to set it at like 66 degrees to get 78.

Haha i bit the bullet and bought the 75 watt neo therm as well. I will use my eheim to mix saltwater like you do. I figured it was worth it to know my heater was the right size. I was going to need another one for water changes anyways and chewy had it for like $40... hopefully ill get water in my tank this weekened!

Hey everyone! I just picked up the IM 20 Fusion Peninsula and I am in the process of getting it set up and cycling. This will be my first saltwater tank ( had a few freshwater years ago) can anyone show me some pictures of your aquascape and setups, particularly the 20 peninsula. What heaters are you guys running, any skimmers and how many fish and corals.

Super excited to get it set up and see what everyone else is running!

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I wanted to get everyone’s opinions on what powerheads you are using for your fusions 20s and if you like them or would prefer something else? I have upgraded my return pump to the sicce 1.5 and I have 2 spinstreams but there are still dead spots especially behind my rock work. I don’t have any fish or corals yet as my tank is finishing cycling but I want to make sure I have proper flow for when I do start to stock. I really like the clean look of the MP10’s, but have heard they don’t give a natural look in the tank (cause one directional flow vs back and forth like in nature). I would love to hear some of your opinions and experiences! 

Infinite0180
On 4/20/2018 at 1:40 PM, Jimbonks said:

Hey everyone! I just picked up the IM 20 Fusion Peninsula and I am in the process of getting it set up and cycling. This will be my first saltwater tank ( had a few freshwater years ago) can anyone show me some pictures of your aquascape and setups, particularly the 20 peninsula. What heaters are you guys running, any skimmers and how many fish and corals.

Super excited to get it set up and see what everyone else is running!

Thanks!

Deffinitely get the cobalt neotherm heater. I went for the jager 75 at first and it was too long. I ended up ordering the neotherm 75 from chewy.com for way leas than any other site. Its worked flawless for almost 2 weeks now and fits beautifully. Its like its made for the fusion desktop series tanks! Good luck. Im almost 2 weeks into my first cycle and its going great!

SarlinDescent

Time for extreme measures to get rid of bubble algae...  turning this into a frag tank until my  new tank is ready. 

20180505_165354.jpg

20180505_165243.jpg