SaltCritters.com

DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

jedimasterben

Considering that magnesium carbonate is one of the impurities typically found in less pure calcium carbonate, I don't think that KZ 'researched' anything or adds it separately. Again, I will say that magnesium carbonate is not soluble in a reef tank.

That I would disagree with... The idea that the product is just thrown in a bottle without thinking twice is dangerous.

Even if the magnesium is only for marketing claim to lure people into buying..

jedimasterben

That I would disagree with... The idea that the product is just thrown in a bottle without thinking twice is dangerous.

Have you seriously read any of their other marketing? If not, you're in for a treat. :)

• Like 6

My guess is that wherever they source the calcium carbonate it probably came from a type of marble (most likely dolomite) as marbles contain both calcium and magnesium carbonate. I doubt they have a special refining process other than to check for any impurities that may harm reef tanks.
  • Like 1

Have you seriously read any of their other marketing? If not, you're in for a treat. :)

Yes, I'm not a fan of Kz.. But I also think that there is rhyme to reason and I'm not so inclined to think someone hasn't thought about, seen, or read about something that makes sense to make a blended product..

I bought the same stuff Mirya did.

I ended up ordering this one off Amazon. It is only 2 ounces of powder used for beer brewing. I figure I don't really need a 1 lb bag. The 2 ounces will make 120 ml of stock solution. Doing 1 ml per 25 gallons, that will still last me for ages!

The company is here in Ohio and has a distributor at a brewery near my condo. I bought enough to treat 240 gallons of water ... for $2.13 including tax. Wam, bam, thank you, Ben.

Also, I emailed the maker, L.D. Carlson, and their rep Kathy was kind enough and prompt to send me this sheet on the specs of the product. Order with confidence.

Omyacarb 3 - FL.PDF

• Like 1

Got the goods today and dosed the tank with 3ml of the solution. Can't wait to see all that flocculation :D.

That's the same one I use. I use about half a teaspoon in my 55G. One of those tubs really goes a long way.

• Like 1

That's the same one I use. I use about half a teaspoon in my 55G. One of those tubs really goes a long way.

Yeah I made up a 50mL solution and I was really surprised at how well it worked and doesn't seem to have any affects on any of the livestock. So glad Ben told us the secret formula.

• Like 1

Following this post, I purchased the 97%+ pure stuff a few days ago. from Amazon/ It came in yesterday, and I mixed it up to 115g of the product to 230ml of DI water.

I dosed 2 ml in 53 gallon system about 10pm last night. I saw the initial snow storm and waited for the clarity.

And this morning the fish had the day off from school. Everything is covered in a fine white precipitate, pumps, algae, corals, all the live rock. The skimmer has white gunk in the neck. I am running a 10 micron sock, just for this specific dosing.

I dose Randy's 2 part. Calcium is about 390, and ALK 2.5.

Any idea why it precipitated so much.

thanks

rich.

jedimasterben

I've got no clue. The stuff is inert unless exposed to acidic conditions, so it cannot precipitate like that. My bryopsis that grows in the tank is somewhat 'sticky' and holds a bit of this stuff on its surface for a day or so after dosing, but never on any pumps, etc.

link to the stuff you bought?

• Like 1

I find I get some residue on the base of my sump and it did cling to the plastic on my powerheads when they were new and developing a slime coat. I put this down to it being a low flow area.

this is what I purchased as per post 15 and 16.

http://www.amazon.co...U2LL&ref=plSrch

thanks

rich

added a pic. this is about 11 hours later. The entire front of the tank look like this. You can see from the cleaning the difference.

Kinda looks like you possibly have some film/ small agae that it is sticking to. I'd give everything a good cleaning and try it again.

• Like 1

I have been using the turkey baster all day. And there are still particles in the water, even with a 10 micron filter. Not sure what happened, but nothing is hurting..fish and coral are all ok. I will wait for it to clear up and try it again in a week.

I have been using the turkey baster all day. And there are still particles in the water, even with a 10 micron filter. Not sure what happened, but nothing is hurting..fish and coral are all ok. I will wait for it to clear up and try it again in a week.

Cleaning something and using a turkey baster are two completely different things lol

• Like 2

Chris!, I agree, The turkey baster is meant for keeping the turkey moist and juicy. I usually use some Liquid dish detergent to clean up the grease. LOL

Oh by the way, I have been cooking my live rock for the last 30 days as well!!!!!!!!

rich

I've decided to order this after seeing the PAR comparisons between "clean" water and "dirty" water in a fish tank. I'm not using the fancy carbon but I don't like doing water changes so hoping this will help prevent yellow water.

jedimasterben

I've decided to order this after seeing the PAR comparisons between "clean" water and "dirty" water in a fish tank. I'm not using the fancy carbon but I don't like doing water changes so hoping this will help prevent yellow water.

Link? Even in my extremely discolored water due to the UV killing dinos I have no measurable loss in PAR.

Link? Even in my extremely discolored water due to the UV killing dinos I have no measurable loss in PAR.

I'll look for it when I get home, can't access YouTube from work. It's was one of their weekly reefing video that talks about water clarity and use of carbon. They did a comparison of the 3 major carbons they offer and their effect on water quality. In the video they measured PAR in a yellow water tank vs a clear water tank (old and new water basically) and showed a difference of about 20% PAR loss in the yellowing water, stating that the light is not penetrating through the water column due to the items contributing to diminished water quality.

• Like 1

Here's one of their videos that talk about the par loss due to dirty water:

There was another video where they did a more extensive test in a 18" cube but I haven't been able to find it....I was watching the Ozone video, then I watched a carbon video but I don't remember which was after that had the other test.