Coral Vue Hydros

DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

jedimasterben

I use it in my planted tank, as well, with only filter floss, so it works very well without a skimmer, just have to keep flow up so it doesn't settle out in the tank.

Thanks! Everyone post up their results when they try it.

So in a freshwater tank this stuff is ok to use, but since those tanks typically have lower flow than a salt tank I would need to bump the flow up while using this? Is there a ph range where this would cause a problem in a freshwater tank?

I gave it a shot last night, tbh i didnt notice much of a difference.

FYI - I am running filter socks, GFO reactor, carbon reactor and skimmer.

I think a lot of people are just experiencing a placebo effect. if I get some time I'm going to experiment with par readings before and after dosing. just for shits and giggles.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I think a lot of people are just experiencing a placebo effect. if I get some time I'm going to experiment with par readings before and after dosing. just for shits and giggles.

If you've got enough gelbstoff in your tank that it affects PAR levels, you have bugger problems than this could ever cure :lol:
  • Like 1

Yeah right. Not the same light blocking properties as algae I suppose. but if it does make water more clear, I'm wondering if it would have any effect on light transition.

I've already purchased some off amazon, thinking that I'd be saving a lot of dough. I'm now a little confused after the question about if the two are the same, and coral snow does not ever come out of suspension and create snowfall in the tank, lol. I never had coral snow clog my filter sock. Coral,snow did make my water clearer and added with mb7 got rid of cyano for me. I'm worried about creating an issue where this is raining little white specs of DIY stuff. Let me know if this makes sense. I'm making a batch tomorrow, there hasn't been a lot of feedback yet either.

jedimasterben

Yeah right. Not the same light blocking properties as algae I suppose. but if it does make water more clear, I'm wondering if it would have any effect on light transition.

Light blocking is more about turbidity from particulates rather than gelbstoff. This helps to remove both, flooding them into larger particulates to more easily skim/filter out, but it only helps for smaller particulate material, its the larger ones that block more, and those are already easily filtered out.

Many that have a well-filtered Reef with efficient carbon won't see a huge benefit, but it gives that extra bit of oomph in clarity that I've not even been able to achieve with 200mL of carbon and a liter of Purigen in addition to a skimmer.

I've already purchased some off amazon, thinking that I'd be saving a lot of dough. I'm now a little confused after the question about if the two are the same, and coral snow does not ever come out of suspension and create snowfall in the tank, lol. I never had coral snow clog my filter sock. Coral,snow did make my water clearer and added with mb7 got rid of cyano for me. I'm worried about creating an issue where this is raining little white specs of DIY stuff. Let me know if this makes sense. I'm making a batch tomorrow, there hasn't been a lot of feedback yet either.

The powdered calcium carbonate has particules that are just as small or smaller than those found in Coral Snow, both seem to be pulverized to the same degree. Verydifferent than dosing cal and alk solutions at the same time, which forms very large particulates.
  • Like 1

I read through a very similar thread on another forum and many people (not everyone) came to the same conclusion. Nobody had any way of measuring the effect. Nobody could ever produce any pictures or anything to exhibit the change. The conclusion by many (Not everyone, maybe not even most) was that seeing the tank reclear after becoming clowdy on the dose gave the impression that some "new degree of clarity" had been achieved, but only because you were comparing it to the recent clowdiness.

Of course some people insisted this was not the case, but they had no way of actually proving the effect they saw.

Some people eventually theorized that it's simply redundant with running things like Carbon. Run carbon and see no change when you dose. Don't run carbon and the dosing helps.

I have no idea.

I would like to see the following:

Someone who claims it works sets up a time-lapse camera set to take the pictures every 20 min or so with the same settings, and show a few hours before the dose, the dose, the settling/skimming period after, and then the final result. Put it all in a video.

jedimasterben

I read through a very similar thread on another forum and many people (not everyone) came to the same conclusion. Nobody had any way of measuring the effect. Nobody could ever produce any pictures or anything to exhibit the change. The conclusion by many (Not everyone, maybe not even most) was that seeing the tank reclear after becoming clowdy on the dose gave the impression that some "new degree of clarity" had been achieved, but only because you were comparing it to the recent clowdiness.

Of course some people insisted this was not the case, but they had no way of actually proving the effect they saw.

Some people eventually theorized that it's simply redundant with running things like Carbon. Run carbon and see no change when you dose. Don't run carbon and the dosing helps.

I have no idea.

Someone who claims it works sets up a time-lapse camera set to take the pictures every 20 min or so with the same settings, and show a few hours before the dose, the dose, the settling/skimming period after, and then the final result. Put it all in a video.

Even a DSLR really won't be able to pick up the difference unless your tank is extremely turbid, in which case you would have very insufficient filtration and this would never be able to fix. I've already explained in this thread and others what it does and how it does it. IIRC Randy Holmes-Farley has mentioned it, as well, but if I don't recall correctly, then ask him to explain it. ;)
  • Like 1

I have no idea.

A decent test of sorts might be to have a longer tank and put some text or a picture or something on one end and take pictures through the long axis of the tank. If they appear sharper or more clear after an application of this it would help prove its effectiveness or lack there of.

I've already explained in this thread and others what it does and how it does it. IIRC Randy Holmes-Farley has mentioned it, as well, but if I don't recall correctly, then ask him to explain it. ;)

You either communicate in a strange way or you seem like a very argumentative individual. If I didn't know any better I'd think you were trying to sell some product. You seem, well..."defensive".

If you can't understand why people are "skeptical" over something that cannot be measured and cannot be proven except to one's self.....well, that's just a bridge too far.

Either way, I'm outta this thread.

jedimasterben

You either communicate in a strange way or you seem like a very argumentative individual. If I didn't know any better I'd think you were trying to sell some product. You seem, well..."defensive".

If you can't understand why people are "skeptical" over something that cannot be measured and cannot be proven except to one's self.....well, that's just a bridge too far.

Either way, I'm outta this thread.

Yep, I tricked you all, I own all of the calcium carbonate production in the world and making tons of money off of this stuff! ;)

What I don't understand is when the explanation is provided (how it does what it does) and it is still dismissed. The process is well understood, we aren't going into any 'uncharted territory' or anything, the concept is basic.

• Like 2

Here's the deal: Coral Snow is a popular and expensive product. Ben figured out how to make a cheap substitute that seems to be the same stuff. He was kind enough to share it with us. That's it.

If you want to better understand if/how it works, Google "Coral Snow" and you can spend hours reading through threads discussing how it works, whether it works, and why it's the best thing since sliced bread or the root of all evil :lol:

I'd be real hesitant to spend the kind of money real Coral Snow costs just to see whether it does anything in my tank or not. But for less than $10 on Amazon, I was more than happy to try it out. My water is pretty clear to begin with, and I don't really see much additional clarity. But the corals seem to be happier the next day, and for $10 that's good enough for me.

• Like 7

Yep, I tricked you all, I own all of the calcium carbonate production in the world and making tons of money off of this stuff! ;)

That's why I wrote "IF I DIDN'T KNOW BETTER". That you act as if you have some stake in it, when you don't is what is strange.

I'm not trying to be mean, but maybe you just communicate strangely or have poor reading comprehension.

You answered my exceedingly simple question about 4 times in a row with indirect answers. That's kind of a trait of a salesman or a dishonest person. But it's probably just a communication problem.

What I don't understand is when the explanation is provided (how it does what it does) and it is still dismissed.

It wasn't dismissed. It wasn't an answer to any question I asked. lol.

It would be like if I asked a car salesman if the new car comes with black seats as an option and he replies "All our dyes are hypoallergenic". Even if I believed him. It's either an evasive answer or a failure to communicate!

How dosing worked and what it achieved was never in question (by me at least), yet you continued to act as if it was.

The process is well understood, we aren't going into any 'uncharted territory' or anything, the concept is basic.

That the process is well understood does not automatically mean the results are unquestionable!

We all know plants use CO2. The process is well understood. But what if I said that my plants were VISIBLY healthier because I stand over them and breathe heavily. lol

Maybe so, but with no way to prove it, to measure it, or to show it....you would expect a variety of responses.

So, I'll say again.... You're describing a result that is not measurable, not provable, and not presentable. As you yourself have stated.

I'm not even necessarily doubting you, but if you are expecting everyone to embrace the idea, that's a little silly.

Can you think of anything else in life that is without proof, evidence, or measurement and yet is widely accepted based on "testimony" only?

Aaaaanyway. Peace.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

So I have been using my own DIY coral snow for about 2 weeks now. I bought the 100% pure stuff on amazon. The mix looks super white compared to KZ. The cloudiness also goes away considerably faster in the tank.

IMG_20160110_120816.jpg

IMG_20160110_120801.jpg

Another cool use for it I found was when I got some frags the other day I got them without frag plugs as I like to use frag discs that I own. As everyone knows when you put superglue in the water your skimmer will go berserk as mine did. I put some of the diy coral snow in the water and my skimmer immediately stopped overflowing. The reaction time is never that fast with GAC.

• Like 4

Yeah I have actually decommissioned my carbon/gfo reactor. I now use seachem matrix in my sump and drop prodibio biodigest vials every 2 weeks. Also dose the DIY coral snow every day. Don't even measure just drop enough to make tank cloudy. My tank has managed to stay low nutrient but the nitrate and phosphate are not being stripped completely out of the water like when I had a reactor. Also switched to aquaforest and feed my SPS every day.

Coral A

Coral V

Coral Food

NP Pro

When my vials of prodibio run out I will be switching to aquaforest Pro BioS.

Also feed my fish a ton with 3 frozen cubes a day and nitrate and phosphate have been low. I have noticed my SPS growth rate to be increasing as well.

• Like 1

I knew ben had stocks in calcium carbonate lol

I've been using this since I believe you posted the recipe works great to me, it's cheap and my sun coral absolutely love it! !!! Also when I do my water change I stir up the tank like crazy, add the new water then some of this and it definitely makes a difference in speeding up the clarification process then I change my floss in the am and boom super clear, maybe I'm crazy like some of you think but I have noticed a difference and like others said my coral have responded well to it so I will keep using it

THANKS AGAIN BEN! !

• Like 1

Regarding BTAs and anemones in general, getting closed after dosing the DIY Coral Snow, bear in mind anemones are very sensitive to touching and Coral Snow works as flocculant. A flocculant is basically a particle that binds to other particles, to make them easier to be physically extracted.

In other words, the anemone gets pissed off because there is lots of dust irritating it. Nothing to worry about.

After using for a couple months now, I'm happy. My water is pretty clear already so I don't see a big difference there. But the day after I use it my corals always seem to be more consistently open. Not something I can measure but it seems worth using it every time. Especially for the price. I'm still on my first fifty cents worth of powder :)

• Like 4

so can anyone answer this question, is calcium carbonate the same as calcium carbonate?

No. Common misconception. Calcium carbonate is different from carbonate. Make sure when you buy it you get calcium carbonate, and not calcium carbonate.

• Like 6