Cultivated Reef

DIY KZ Coral Snow (with >97% purity)

jedimasterben

No. Common misconception. Calcium carbonate is different from carbonate. Make sure when you buy it you get calcium carbonate, and not calcium carbonate.

thanks for clearing that up for me, I placed an order for calcium carbonate, but wanted to make sure I ordered the right calcium carbonate. Thank god I had time to cancel the order, they were very nice about it and are shipping me calcium carbonate instead.

• Like 2

I found a place on ebay that claims their food grade is 99+% pure..... if I ever get around to setting up my sump and decide which pump to order I might find out if this stuff does any good LOL

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, I've got a bunch of this stuff laying around. We use it to make chalk paint.

Be careful, from what I found, some of the stuff you get from the hardware store is low in purity. If you use food grade stuff for the chalk paint you will be fine though.

• Like 1
LeCharlesMuhDickens

Be careful, from what I found, some of the stuff you get from the hardware store is low in purity. If you use food grade stuff for the chalk paint you will be fine though.

It's the food grade stuff, my other half buys it in 25lb buckets.

• Like 3

1. So I was interested in Coral Snow to help with cyano. This stuff will help out? (I'm resigned to the fact that my nutrients are as low as I can get them, so treating the symptom is my only strategy now.)

3. Also, once I get the cyano under control, does anybody use this in conjunction with vodka dosing?

C. As to the polyp extension people are reporting, I read in another thread that these particles are small enough for coral to consume them and when they enter the corals digestive systems with the organics bonded to the particles, the corals can digest them. I think that's the gist of what I read. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. elite-daily-Home-Alone1.jpg

jedimasterben

1. So I was interested in Coral Snow to help with cyano. This stuff will help out? (I'm resigned to the fact that my nutrients are as low as I can get them, so treating the symptom is my only strategy now.)

3. Also, once I get the cyano under control, does anybody use this in conjunction with vodka dosing?

C. As to the polyp extension people are reporting, I read in another thread that these particles are small enough for coral to consume them and when they enter the corals digestive systems with the organics bonded to the particles, the corals can digest them. I think that's the gist of what I read. Correct me if I'm wrong.

4. elite-daily-Home-Alone1.jpg

1) Directly, no, I don't think so. Indirectly, by floccing specific organics together for easier skimming or mechanical removal, maybe. I've never really had much problem with cyano, so I can't comment on that.

3) I don't see why not. This stuff is inert, so it won't really affect anything.

C) In theory, yes, basically this stuff floccs particulate together so that it makes it a larger particulate that corals can then capture if they are able.

4)

chuck%252520norris%252520approves.gif

• Like 3

You said they say Coral snow is calcium & magnesium carbonate.... the links I've seen you say were ok are just calcium carbonate.... should we get the magnesium carbonate as well for the "full effect"?

magnesium carbonate in coral snow is like the ground aragonite in purple up. I think it is placed there to keep precipitation to a minimum and stop precipitation when you add it to the tank... Magnesium is more soluble than calcium it plays a role in keeping corals from growing like stalagmites.. so that calcium doesn't deposit on the skeleton of the animal..

I think it may need to be present in the mix to keep over addition of pure caco3 from precipitating things in your tank..

I found a place on ebay that claims their food grade is 99+% pure..... if I ever get around to setting up my sump and decide which pump to order I might find out if this stuff does any good LOL

Amazon carries 100% pure.

I also think that the reason why you don't see the difference is the small dose zeovit is 4 ml per 25 gallons purple up is 5 ml per 50 gallons and carries a strong warning not to exceed 420ppm calcium..

It's a matter of dose in this case.. Not a matter of chemistry..

jedimasterben

magnesium carbonate in coral snow is like the ground aragonite in purple up. I think it is placed there to keep precipitation to a minimum and stop precipitation when you add it to the tank... Magnesium is more soluble than calcium it plays a role in keeping corals from growing like stalagmites.. so that calcium doesn't deposit on the skeleton of the animal..

I think it may need to be present in the mix to keep over addition of pure caco3 from precipitating things in your tank..

Magnesium carbonate is also insoluble at reef pH levels. The calcium carbonate dosed in this and in Coral Snow is insoluble.

• Like 1

Magnesium carbonate is also insoluble at reef pH levels. The calcium carbonate dosed in this and in Coral Snow is insoluble.

But the solution in the bottle is in fresh water, not reef water. Meaning it's slightly disassociated. You actually have a mixture of calcium magnesium and carbonate and bicarbonate.

So when you dose it to the tank the solution precipitated itself.. Unless the zeovit or purple up is buffered which is why I think it contains the magnesium or ground aragonite.. If you are not watching the magnesium level in your tank and it is low I'm thinking the excess calcium carbonate won't disperse as well and be suspended in the water column... But that's what I'm trying to figure out..

I'm sure it plays a role I'm just not quite sure what that role is...

jedimasterben

But the solution in the bottle is in fresh water, not reef water. Meaning it's slightly disassociated. You actually have a mixture of calcium magnesium and carbonate and bicarbonate.

So when you dose it to the tank the solution precipitated itself.. Unless the zeovit or purple up is buffered which is why I think it contains the magnesium or ground aragonite.. If you are not watching the magnesium level in your tank and it is low I'm thinking the excess calcium carbonate won't disperse as well and be suspended in the water column... But that's what I'm trying to figure out..

I'm sure it plays a role I'm just not quite sure what that role is...

Unless KZ adds an acid to the solution (which would defeat the purpose), then the pH will not be low enough to dissolve calcium carbonate or magnesium carbonate.

I don't think you would add acid.. It would dissolve the material further... You would want it dispensed in particulate form..

The addition of magnesium carbonate would make the calcium less selected for from a solubility standpoint..

But at the small dose level it probably doesn't matter..

It may be more relevant to keeping the solution from completely compacting while it sits on the shelf for a year at 64 bucks a bottle...

So do I need to add magnesium carbonate? Amazon has 100% pure powder on the cheap.

I'm thinking no one else has ... It may be added for a purpose other than we recognize that KZ researched.. But for on the cheap I think it would just add cost if you have good magnesium level in your tank..

jedimasterben

I'm thinking no one else has ... It may be added for a purpose other than we recognize that KZ researched.. But for on the cheap I think it would just add cost if you have good magnesium level in your tank..

Considering that magnesium carbonate is one of the impurities typically found in less pure calcium carbonate, I don't think that KZ 'researched' anything or adds it separately. Again, I will say that magnesium carbonate is not soluble in a reef tank.