Coral Vue Hydros

####### Fatass Challenge

evanski

Yeah definitely nerdy. Love it though. Did the fractured maxilla require fixation?

The maxilla fracture was through the alveolus of the incisor I knocked out. My dentist put my incisor back in position and temporarily bonded it to my surrounding teeth. That stabilized the fracture enough for it to heal. I was eating baby food for awhile though! (I recommend the Gerber Acai Banana Granola pouches btw. ;) )

• Replies 891
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A glass of red wine every day is good, alcohol is bad...

A daily glass of red wine may be good for your heart, but alcohol could increase the risk of cancer (not to mention the added calories and its effect on metabolism). Some in moderation is generally fine for most people.

...carbs are bad...

Not at all. However, some foods (that have a high glycemic index) will affect blood sugar levels more than others. When trying to build muscle, you might want at least 40% of your calories from carbs (often eaten before or just after a workout). However, for fat loss, the percentage would be less.

...gluten is bad...

IMO, gluten gets a bad rap. It's true that certain people have an allergy to gluten. For those people, gluten can cause extreme problems (even eventual death). Some people claim to have gluten sensitivities. These people may feel better by limiting their intake of gluten. For the rest of us, it's just another protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. But it certainly isn't a required part of anybody's diet.

...fat is good, fat is bad.

There are good fats and bad fats. Trans fats are bad. You should limit saturated fats too. Unsaturated fats are good (avocados, tree nuts, fish and fish oil, olives and olive oil are examples of healthy fats). Like carbs, fats play an important role in our diets.

Eat more, eat less...

You must eat more calories to gain muscle, and less to lose fat. The difficulty comes when your goal is to do both at the same time.

...eat many times, don't eat that many meals.

I guess we kind of saw that this isn't always agreed upon. However, it turns out that the typical three meals a day works out pretty well with our work schedules and most people's dietary needs. http://www.livestrong.com/article/503625-how-long-to-go-without-eating-between-meals/

EAt egg yolks, don;t eat the yolks...

Most of the cholesterol in your blood is produced in your body (not consumed). Dietary cholesterol can be eaten in moderation.

...eat salmon, mercury poisoning.

Wild salmon is high in omega 3, and is a great source of protein when limited to a couple of times a week.

Guess what - my PCP follows and recommends a plant based diet over animal protein based diets.

Possibly just a personal preference or part of their ideals. It's often easier to get enough protein when including animal based protein. However, it is possible to get your protein just from plant based proteins.

Woah this thread is pretty sweet. Good to see everyone trying to stick to healthy eating and a lifestyle!

Feel free to shoot me any questions. I have my Bachelors in Nutrition and Dietetics and am currently getting my Masters in Nutrition as well. I'm a certified personal trainer as well as a nutrition counselor so I've seen it all!

A daily glass of red wine may be good for your heart, but alcohol may increase the risk of cancer (not to mention the added calories and its affect on metabolism). Some in moderation is generally fine for most people.

Not at all. However, some foods (that have a high glycemic index) will affect blood sugar levels more than others. When trying to build muscle, you might want at least 40% of your calories from carbs. However, for fat loss, the percentage would be less.

IMO, gluten gets a bad rap. It's true that certain people have an allergy to gluten. For those people, gluten can cause extreme problems (even eventual death). Some people claim to have gluten sensitivities. These people may feel better by limiting their intake of gluten. For the rest of us, it's just another protein found in wheat, barley, and rye. But it certainly isn't a required part of anybody's diet.

There are good fats and bad fats. Trans fats are bad. You should limit saturated fats too. Unsaturated fats are good (omega 3). Avocados, tree nuts, fish and fish oil, olives and olive oil are examples of healthy fats. Like carbs, fats play an important role in our diets.

You must eat more calories to gain muscle, and less to lose fat. The difficulty comes when your goal is to do both at the same time.

I guess we kind of saw that this isn't always agreed upon. However, it turns out that the typical three meals a day works out pretty well with our work schedules and most people's dietary needs.

Most of the cholesterol in your blood is produced in your body (not consumed), and can be eaten in moderation.

Wild salmon is high in omega 3. It is a great source of protein when limited to a couple of times a week.

Possibly just a personal preference or ideals. It's often easier to get enough protein when including animal based protein; however, it is possible to get your protein just through plant based proteins.

All of your information is right on point. It's awesome to see how educated people are.

House party was fun. about a glass and a half of wine. And pasta. FML.

And I was forced to eat a half of a small cup cake because the hostess made it and I am very fond of her but they were too sweet, I discretely tossed it when she wasn't looking.

Now you tell me. :)

:flower:

Yes you're absolutely right. You know there is so much conflicting information out there. A glass of red wine every day is good, alcohol is bad, carbs are bad, gluten is bad, fat is good, fat is bad. Eat more, eat less, eat many times, don't eat that many meals. Argh.

EAt egg yolks, don;t eat the yolks, eat salmon, mercury poisoning. Guess what - my PCP follows and recommends a plant based diet over animal protein based diets. So many schools of thought to choose from.

Does anybody follow the blood group diet?

The "blood group diet" has no form of scientific research backing it at all. It's within the realm of Nutrigenomics, which is still an incredibly new field, and as such is incredibly susceptible to any form of trends or hype.

I didn't do the greatest yesterday, so I'll consider it my cheat day...

bf: smores poptarts

lunch: subway

snack: redds apple ale and potato chips

dinner: chicken something or other from applebees

Not sure waht today wil be, but I already had more poptarts for breakfast!

Anybody follow intermittent fasting?

Here is some information that might help.

Mmmm. Weigh in -6 from healthier meals (less sugar, cereal, Etc)

6lbs in less than a week? Congratulations! However, it's possible that you might be cutting your daily calories too much. Since you are eating lower calorie foods, you might be able to eat more and still lose fat (just at a slower pace). Notice the emphasis on fat and not weight. Your goal should be to preserve as much lean muscle as possible.

:lol:

Out of curiosity, who's monitoring their body fat percentage? Having an understanding of what's fat and what's lean muscle can be very helpful (much more than just looking at a scale).

I get my body fat percentage checked about every 3 or 4 months at my chiropractor's office via a bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA). Last checked it was 17.5%. I get it checked again in 12 days (I suspect it will be closer to 15%). I'm also getting another blood test from my MD on Monday.

12_egg_Omelette

Out of curiosity, who's monitoring their body fat percentage? Having an understanding of what's fat and what's lean muscle can be very helpful (much more than just looking at a scale).

I get my body fat percentage checked about every 3 or 4 months at my chiropractor's office via a bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA). Last checked it was 17.5%. I get it checked again in 12 days (I suspect it will be closer to 15%). I'm also getting another blood test from my MD on Monday.

I check mine via DEXA once a quarter, but that only because I have access to a dexa.

I didn't do the greatest yesterday, so I'll consider it my cheat day...

bf: smores poptarts

lunch: subway

snack: redds apple ale and potato chips

dinner: chicken something or other from applebees

Smores Poptarts are Da Shizzz

We're probably not gonna win this

That looks good, jbb!

I had a garden salad with chicken from El Pollo Loco last night that was surprisingly filling. And only like 260-290 calories according to their info! Probably 290 with dressing which I never add anyways. I couldn't finish it! FYI, for any west coasters watching what they eat :).

We had a Bod Pod in our Ex Phys lab so I was able to monitor that 2x in about a 3 month period, ended up dropping about 4% to around 10% body fat, but I'm about 3 pounds about that now lol

Careful using BIA for testing bodyfat, it can be incredibly unreliable. Bioeletricial impedance is extremely dependent on the amount of water in the body, and any slight dehydration will throw the numbers off completely. I've seen percentages fluctuate up to 5% by just moving the arms slightly upward when using it, using it at different times of the day, being even slightly hot or cold, or having any form of water directly beforehand. We always recommend the body fat calipers as opposed to the BEI because of these reasons. Thus, if the number you get from the BIA makes no sense even though you can obviously see you lost fat, understand that it can be highly unreliable and that you're still moving in the right direction.

Anyway, I used to check my body fat percentage all the time when I was going to compete in bodybuilding competitions, and I find it a much better indicator for health rather than a plain scale. When I'm with clients, I ALWAYS prefer to use body fat percentages to really make them understand that just "weight" is a very poor indicator of health.

Anybody follow intermittent fasting?

I used to follow IF for quite a while, but it stopped working with my schedule. If you can safely do it without overeating on non-fasting days AND you're 100% that you have no blood-glucose regulating problems, go for it. Be careful of the "I get to eat way more tomorrow because I didn't eat today" mindset though, as I've seen people eat 2-3X as much food as they would of because they "didn't have anything yesterday!", and still end up gaining weight.

I'd actually be very curious about being able to monitor this. I know there are some scales for at home use that claim to be able to do this, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. Any suggestions for where I can get this measured? Should I start with asking my doctor's office?

Once my leg eventually heals, I'm curious in getting my VO2max measured as well so I can do some targeted heart rate training during my running. I have picked up info on places that do that in town though from running expos.

I check mine via DEXA once a quarter, but that only because I have access to a dexa.

ROFL The is a bit more precise than most people can do, but since you have access to it...

That looks good, jbb!

I had a garden salad with chicken from El Pollo Loco last night that was surprisingly filling. And only like 260-290 calories according to their info! Probably 290 with dressing which I never add anyways. I couldn't finish it! FYI, for any west coasters watching what they eat :).

El Pollo Loco is AWESOME! I've always recommended eating there if you're tight on your schedule. Also, McDonalds has an Artisan Grilled Chicken sandwich which is only around ~330 cals with 33grams of protein for about 4 bucks, just have to be careful of the sodium.

I'd actually be very curious about being able to monitor this. I know there are some scales for at home use that claim to be able to do this, but I'm not sure how accurate they are. Any suggestions for where I can get this measured? Should I start with asking my doctor's office?

Once my leg eventually heals, I'm curious in getting my VO2max measured as well so I can do some targeted heart rate training during my running. I have picked up info on places that do that in town though from running expos.

ROFL The is a bit more precise than most people can do, but since you have access to it...

The scales with build-in body fat measurements are the same as Bioelectrical Impedance, which is highly unreliable and should never really be taken with 100% certainty. Your doctor should hopefully have, or know someone in the building who can use body fat calipers to accurately measure your bodyfat. OR, if you belong to a gym, you can literally ask the front desk and they'll measure it for you.

12_egg_Omelette

Just track trends, if you use the same equipment do it around the same time and stay hydrated you shouldn't see to much erroneous data. I hate VO2 max tests, I hate wind gate tests even more though.

Just track trends, if you use the same equipment do it around the same time and stay hydrated you shouldn't see to much erroneous data.

I track this strictly for health reasons, realizing that it's just an estimate (for me, no need for better precision). I get tested the same time in the morning, hydrated, but before I eat anything. I do this during a regularly scheduled adjustment so it's super convenient and not very expensive. The results are tracked and graphed so I can see trends in muscle mass, hydration, body fat, and even phase angle. I forget where I started (almost 40% body fat if I remember correctly); I'll try to remember to check what it was next week.

I have VO2 max tests, I hate wind gate tests even more though.

I had to do a radionucleotide cardiac stress test about a year ago. In addition to having an episode of reactive hypoglycemia last year that caused me to black out, I had a few other near syncopal episodes. I honestly think those other episodes were related to dehydration though, but my doctor wanted to rule-out any underlying cardiac disease just to be safe.

It sucked. It started out ok... but they increase the speed and the incline of the treadmill every 3 minutes until you hit some predetermined heart rate and then you have to maintain it for a minute or so. Meanwhile you have a BP cuff and a load of ECG leads attached to you. The techs commented that normally they do the test on 60-something year old men with suspected coronary artery disease, not a 39 year old woman training for a marathon. It took me quite awhile before I reached the target heart rate.

Happily, I passed the test with flying colors. And I got a neat little wallet card to carry around for the next few days explaining why I was radioactive in case I set off any sensors anywhere. :D

I looked up the Wingate test. That looks frickin' miserable.

12_egg_Omelette

Back when I use to teach exercise physiology in graduate school, we'd have the students do them, and afterwards you could hear them jus throwing up in the bathroom. Luckily I didn't have to teach during my doctoral work, except covering a couple classes here and there.

Back when I use to teach exercise physiology in graduate school, we'd have the students do them, and afterwards you could hear them jus throwing up in the bathroom. Luckily I didn't have to teach during my doctoral work, except covering a couple classes here and there.

Last year I had to perform the VO2 max test on the bike with the hooked up spirometer... man that was the most miserable 15 minutes of my life lol

House party was fun. about a glass and a half of wine. And pasta. FML.

And I was forced to eat a half of a small cup cake because the hostess made it and I am very fond of her but they were too sweet, I discretely tossed it when she wasn't looking.

Now you tell me. :)

:flower:

Yes you're absolutely right. You know there is so much conflicting information out there. A glass of red wine every day is good, alcohol is bad, carbs are bad, gluten is bad, fat is good, fat is bad. Eat more, eat less, eat many times, don't eat that many meals. Argh.

EAt egg yolks, don;t eat the yolks, eat salmon, mercury poisoning. Guess what - my PCP follows and recommends a plant based diet over animal protein based diets. So many schools of thought to choose from.

Does anybody follow the blood group diet?

You whining?

Went sailing today. Posted up a picture on instagram. My first sailing experience ever. Now I'm ready for my super hero in spandex and our sail off into the sunset adventure. :wub:

Okay okay - seriously, what a fun morning! I rushed out of the apartment after a half cup of tea and a slice of sourdough with guacamole. (love that shit). At the pier there were bagels and coffee so I had half a bagel. Then we went sailing, I put up one of the sails! the 5 of us passengers rotated through various tasks it was so much fun, the weather was a mix of sun and clouds and a nice cool breeze - just perfect.

Went to lunch after (With friends) - had some calamari, half chicken club sandwich which also had a bunch of spinach in it and loads of water. I felt a need for sugar so I had a small salted caramel treat at starbucks (380 calories). There was a lot of walking involved throughout, and super hot subways. Went to NYFishies apartment to feed their fish.

I'm feeling quite light headed right now. Likely the wave motion, (our boat was a 24 footer) and from the heat. I had a big floppy hat on, sunblock up the tushie but I'm not a sun person, avoid it every chance I get so I may have over done it. Jawbone says I walked 9294 steps. Google fit says I walked 1 hour 39 minutes, 3.02 miles, 9105 steps. Guess it can't find GPS in the subway or the tunnels.

My meals were heavy on the carbs and fat today. I also got more exercise than the rest of my week combined. I'm not sure if the summary is in my favor today but I think I need to lie down now.

I used to follow IF for quite a while, but it stopped working with my schedule. If you can safely do it without overeating on non-fasting days AND you're 100% that you have no blood-glucose regulating problems, go for it. Be careful of the "I get to eat way more tomorrow because I didn't eat today" mindset though, as I've seen people eat 2-3X as much food as they would of because they "didn't have anything yesterday!", and still end up gaining weight.

I was rather good on IF- no overeating the next day issue, however I did not see any significant weight loss because of it. My dad on the other hand lost weight on it 2 years ago and continues to keep it off.

You whining?

Was that whining? Hmmm. Well It wasn't meant to be a whine, more like a FML WTF MOFO type of post. :)

Went sailing today. Posted up a picture on instagram. My first sailing experience ever. Now I'm ready for my super hero in spandex and our sail off into the sunset adventure. :wub:

Okay okay - seriously, what a fun morning! I rushed out of the apartment after a half cup of tea and a slice of sourdough with guacamole. (love that shit). At the pier there were bagels and coffee so I had half a bagel. Then we went sailing, I put up one of the sails! the 5 of us passengers rotated through various tasks it was so much fun, the weather was a mix of sun and clouds and a nice cool breeze - just perfect.

Went to lunch after (With friends) - had some calamari, half chicken club sandwich which also had a bunch of spinach in it and loads of water. I felt a need for sugar so I had a small salted caramel treat at starbucks (380 calories). There was a lot of walking involved throughout, and super hot subways. Went to NYFishies apartment to feed their fish.

I'm feeling quite light headed right now. Likely the wave motion, (our boat was a 24 footer) and from the heat. I had a big floppy hat on, sunblock up the tushie but I'm not a sun person, avoid it every chance I get so I may have over done it. Jawbone says I walked 9294 steps. Google fit says I walked 1 hour 39 minutes, 3.02 miles, 9105 steps. Guess it can't find GPS in the subway or the tunnels.

My meals were heavy on the carbs and fat today. I also got more exercise than the rest of my week combined. I'm not sure if they summary is in my favor today but I think I need to lie down now.

I was rather good on IF- no overeating the next day issue, however I did not see any significant weight loss because of it. My dad on the other hand lost weight on it 2 years ago and continues to keep it off.

Was that whining? Hmmm. Well It wasn't meant to be a whine, more like a FML WTF MOFO type of post. :)

Liking the language lately :flower:

Archived