ReefCleaners.org

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

tape some pieces of white paper to the back glass & see if it helps with the color rendering. Could be the blue wall like you say

Yeah, i'm not that into it :lol: All it takes is a little manipulation in lightroom and they're fixed :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Marc.The.Shark

Yeah, i'm not that into it :lol: All it takes is a little manipulation in lightroom and they're fixed :)

Could be your light's busted! Send it to me & I'll check it out for you and if its no good, I'll just pitch it! Least I can do for all the help you've given me. I'll even pay postage :D

jedimasterben

So I got a potter's angelfish at the LFS a week ago and so far it has not eaten a single thing I've offered. The fish is roughly 1.5" long (super, super tiny), so I don't think it could really last too much longer, so I put in some carbon to remove the chloroquine in the QT water and put in one of the algae covered rocks from the sump. Hopefully it will start pecking at it and getting something into its stomach. It's stomach isn't caved in yet, which is a good sign. The 10g tank that it is in just dwarfs it, it is just a speck in it lol.

Looking good, Ben! I love the look of the 40 breeders. I know the rim is getting a lot of hate, but it doesn't bother me at all :)

jedimasterben

Looking good, Ben! I love the look of the 40 breeders. I know the rim is getting a lot of hate, but it doesn't bother me at all :)

Nah, someone wants to hate on the rim, #### em :)

So I got a potter's angelfish at the LFS a week ago and so far it has not eaten a single thing I've offered. The fish is roughly 1.5" long (super, super tiny), so I don't think it could really last too much longer, so I put in some carbon to remove the chloroquine in the QT water and put in one of the algae covered rocks from the sump. Hopefully it will start pecking at it and getting something into its stomach. It's stomach isn't caved in yet, which is a good sign. The 10g tank that it is in just dwarfs it, it is just a speck in it lol.

:( Was it eating at the LFS? Little angels are a pain to get eating. I would suggest throwing in as many rocks as you can. At my LFS any skinny small angel we throw in our coral system, or anywhere that has established rock.

jedimasterben

If this was your avatar

cricket-wireless-how-big-large-8.jpg

I wouldn't hate the rim so much.

:mellow:

:rolleyes:

I got a rim on the tweaker.

Tell em they can pay for rimless for ya if they don't like it ;)

Exactly! :lol:

I was quoted nearly $300 for the Deep Blue rimless 57, and a custom one of the same dimensions would be in the $400-600 range (though in defense of that number, the glass would be low iron, as well). This one was $40 lol.

:( Was it eating at the LFS? Little angels are a pain to get eating. I would suggest throwing in as many rocks as you can. At my LFS any skinny small angel we throw in our coral system, or anywhere that has established rock.

It was very active and pecking at the rocks they keep in their fish holding tanks, they were mostly bare though, but more than likely none of them were eating at the store. The rock I put in is huge compared to the angel, so it's got plenty of parts to choose from (some have microalgae, some thick hair algae, some sponges, etc), so fingers crossed :)

I am going to try some cyclop-eeze tonight to see if I can get a response, and will try LRS again. Normally if a fish isn't eating anything, it will immediately take to LRS, makes them go nuts. I tried it with the angel, but maybe I did it too soon, as it bolted as soon as I came up to the tank. Now it seems ok with me and hides a bit but will still swim around, so maybe it will nom on some now.

jedimasterben

Well, in good news, I tried LRS a bit earlier with the angel, and guess what?

Also when I put it in the reef, as soon as it started breaking up in the IM Defroster, my sharknose goby ATTACKED a giant hunk of it and stuffed it down, so that is awesome! I am glad I finally got a neon goby that lived more than a few days.

In bad news, five of my gorgonians have some pretty significant recession today. :(

Just gonna say: I liked the original scape more the revised on that you came up with... the right side looked better.

jedimasterben

Just gonna say: I liked the original scape more the revised on that you came up with... the right side looked better.

I agree, but there was no spot that I can place more coral, realistically. When the anemone fluffs up again once it is fully recovered from the powerhead scalping, it will cover most of that rock it is on except for the far reaches of the 'arms', which already have some coral and gorgonians. I don't want to have as much rock in there as I do, but I need spots where coral can go. I'll be fine tuning the scape, but it may not change significantly, I want to be much more hands-off in that regard.

Yay for the Potters!

Boo for the gorgs, what happened? :(

Dunno. Some are not affected, and the ones that were are the ones that I had out of the water for about an hour or so while I was moving the rocks around and finding spots for them to be attached to. I kept dipping them in and keeping them wet, but that may have something to do with it. :unsure:

jedimasterben

That Angelfish is itty bitty.

Can you remove the corals from this big top rock and remove the rock. Or remove the legs if you want to keep the top heavy boulder.

20150821_200531.jpg

I'd rather not lose that rock, it has a lot of life in it. I could remove the corals (there is the leather and a few babies from it, some grandis palys inside a hole that are shriveled up, the gorg, and a sexy blue sponge in there somewhere, all the other stuff on it is gone). Not sure what I'd put there. I'd lose a lot of coral space, but I do agree that some rock has got to go.

Also, just made some calibration fluid for my refractometer. It was correct, and salinity in the tank is a bit over 40ppt, so it's a liiiiiittle high.

Hi Ben, what's your opinion on running a clear acrylic splash guard ot a frosted acrylic splash guard on the V3 arrays? Does it make a huge difference diffusing the light?

jedimasterben

Might have missed it but, what are the details on the light?

Same as it was, only change is the driver boards are now O2's 'V2' 8up BF Mini boards with an onboard Arduino.

Hi Ben, what's your opinion on running a clear acrylic splash guard ot a frosted acrylic splash guard on the V3 arrays? Does it make a huge difference diffusing the light?

You'll want to diffuse it if you want the light to be more uniform across the tank. The boards are close enough that there really isn't much disco, but more spread is more better :)

I went ahead and swapped out around 6.5 gallons of the tank water for fresh, and used the water to change the water in the QT tank. I don't think it NEEDED it, but figured what the hell. :)

You'll want to diffuse it if you want the light to be more uniform across the tank. The boards are close enough that there really isn't much disco, but more spread is more better :)

Fair enough, thanks Ben :). I have ordered clear acrylic already so I guess I'll see how I go. It's a simple enough process to wet sand one side of the acrylic to frost it if need be.

jedimasterben

Fair enough, thanks Ben :). I have ordered clear acrylic already so I guess I'll see how I go. It's a simple enough process to wet sand one side of the acrylic to frost it if need be.

True story! I had plenty of a sticky film that I was able to cover my entire splash shield with it.

True story! I had plenty of a sticky film that I was able to cover my entire splash shield with it.

That's even easier, I might see if I can pick some of that up online. If not, the orbit sander makes quick work of frosting acrylic ;).

jedimasterben

Damnit Benny, the one time you get it scaped good you screw it up.. ^^^ this... just do this.. attach polypy things to it.. win!

:lol:

I'm gonna work on it. Like I said, the right-most rock really doesn't have much space for coral when the nem stretches out. It tickles the Grube's gorg on the left depending on its mood (and if it is back into it's 'normal' position in the center of that rock). Where it is right now it is getting its 'face' smashed by the eductor, but it stays right there, hasn't moved an inch lol.

Archived