Pod Your Reef

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

jedimasterben

Tank is wet and running, salty. The eductors seem to work pretty well, but I can't turn the pump to maximum until I get the rock and such in it (I don't want to add more water to it that I'm just gonna have to take out lol). I have a tiny drip coming from the full siphon bulkhead, I keep thinking it's gonna be an ultra bitch to remove (bulkhead is threaded and the FlexPVC is glued into a male adapter), but where the Flexpvc hits the bulkhead thing in the sump it is not glued and is easy to remove.

I'm going to have to get a check valve for the return. The sump can hold the extra water, but goddamn. A check valve will allow it to not have all that air put into the system when it comes on, too.

Also, I unboxed the skimmer that Coralvue sent me and I think the pump malfunctioned. It is loud as dicks and doesn't chop up any bubbles and has almost no output, it can barely push into the skimmer body.

And lastly I have to adjust the height of the plumbing in the overflow box to reduce splash noise and to allow the open channel to actually work. I have it a bit too high, so water goes down the emergency drain instead of the open channel.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I unboxed the skimmer that Coralvue sent me and I think the pump malfunctioned. It is loud as dicks and doesn't chop up any bubbles and has almost no output, it can barely push into the skimmer body.

How loud are dicks? :P

jedimasterben

How loud are dicks? :P

Really damned loud lol.

Oh, and I forgot that my Jebao return pump is resonating against the side of the sump. I can move it a bit closer and it gets louder, but it can't get far enough away before it starts getting closer to the opposite side and louder. Oy vey.

jedimasterben

Is the pump on anything? Maybe you could add on a thick silicon pad.

The issue is resonance, not vibration. The pump makes noise when it is physically close to the acrylic but not touching it.
Marc.The.Shark

The issue is resonance, not vibration. The pump makes noise when it is physically close to the acrylic but not touching it.

Like how close? Working out my sump layout & have a Jebao 6000. Trying to see how much room I need to give it b4 I silicone the baffles. Right now I'm at an inch, inch & half or so from the baffle. Their pumps are bulkier than I thought, maybe i shoulda bought a 20gal sump! Lol.

Maybe wedge the pump in the return chamber by placing some foam either side of it. It will knock out the resonance and there wont be any chance of vibration.

Maybe you got a bad pump. The DC pumps I have had or dealt with are usually pretty silent. Do you get this on all speeds? Might be a wonky impeller. or an imbalance inside the pump. Strange....... Have you hooked another pump to it?

jedimasterben

Like how close? Working out my sump layout & have a Jebao 6000. Trying to see how much room I need to give it b4 I silicone the baffles. Right now I'm at an inch, inch & half or so from the baffle. Their pumps are bulkier than I thought, maybe i shoulda bought a 20gal sump! Lol.

The pump didn't have the issue when it was pushing into the 80. :( I think it has like 2.5" on both sides of it. Needs at least another inch, but it's likely that a different physical pump won't have the issue. Kat has the same pump and even less space and no resonance.

Maybe wedge the pump in the return chamber by placing some foam either side of it. It will knock out the resonance and there wont be any chance of vibration.

Hmm. I'll probably give that a try. Thanks!

Maybe you got a bad pump. The DC pumps I have had or dealt with are usually pretty silent. Do you get this on all speeds? Might be a wonky impeller. or an imbalance inside the pump. Strange....... Have you hooked another pump to it?

Yes, it happens even on 1/6. It's the same pump and same sump as I used on the 80, the only thing that changed is the plumbing attached to it (it's larger basically the whole way instead of stepping down), but that shouldn't give it a different resonant frequency. :/

I used a silicone coaster under my pump in the old sump to deaden any noise. Got it from target in the dish aisle.

this is genius!

Yes. I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere else on the thread lol

Lol well then that works. Lookin good man, great work on the stand,

jedimasterben

Lol well then that works. Lookin good man, great work on the stand,

Yeah, it turned out pretty good. not 100% happy with it, but it's the best that I could do. :)

Really damned loud lol.

Oh, and I forgot that my Jebao return pump is resonating against the side of the sump. I can move it a bit closer and it gets louder, but it can't get far enough away before it starts getting closer to the opposite side and louder. Oy vey.

Get a new return pump. We have the same sump and my DCT8000 is silent. I don't even know it is running. My Radion fans are louder.

jedimasterben

Lookin' good!!

Get a new return pump. We have the same sump and my DCT8000 is silent. I don't even know it is running. My Radion fans are louder.

I'm not opposed to a new pump, but with the munchkin coming in less than a month and our income cut by over a third, will be a little difficult to swing $100 on another one. I am really curious as to why it never had the resonance issue before. :/

I'm not opposed to a new pump, but with the munchkin coming in less than a month and our income cut by over a third, will be a little difficult to swing $100 on another one. I am really curious as to why it never had the resonance issue before. :/

Ya I feel ya on the budget thing. What sump were you using before? Same one? It could be the flex PVC too. I used braded vinyl and it is completely quiet. I also oversized my pump bigtime and I'm only running it on the 3rd setting. If I do anymore I feel like I have way too much flow. The clowns have a hard enough time swimming as is. haha

jedimasterben

Ya I feel ya on the budget thing. What sump were you using before? Same one? It could be the flex PVC too. I used braded vinyl and it is completely quiet. I also oversized my pump bigtime and I'm only running it on the 3rd setting. If I do anymore I feel like I have way too much flow. The clowns have a hard enough time swimming as is. haha

Same sump, same position in it, the only difference is the pipe. But it is not vibration of the pipe, as it gets significantly noisier if I am holding it in my hand and hold it closer to the wall of the sump, and it gets quieter as it moves away.

Same sump, same position in it, the only difference is the pipe. But it is not vibration of the pipe, as it gets significantly noisier if I am holding it in my hand and hold it closer to the wall of the sump, and it gets quieter as it moves away.

Ya but that really could have something to do with the pipe. It might not absorb the noise like the last material you used. Just a guess because mine is completely silent with braided vinyl and a few zip ties holding it on.

Marc.The.Shark

Could b plumbing related, goes straight up and into that 90, could b getting some harmonic distortion from that. A lot of pump manuf recommend some soft plumbing somewhere either thru the cabinet or from the pump, thats the first thing Tunze asked me when i was having issues.

I'd guess it has something to do with the 90 as well (cavitation). Did the sump run at a different level before? Was it up against the wall of the stand? Dunno, just throwing stuff out there.

jedimasterben

Nope, nothing to do with the plumbing. I think it has to do with the stand itself. The sump is literally touching the stand on that side. If I move the pump away from it, it stops the resonant noise, if I move it closer, it gets worse. That is realistically the only change in what is around the pump.

There was the same sort of issue with the original mount system for the Gyre XF150. The pump motor is silent and always has been, but if the motor was physically close to the glass (as it was on the original mount), it would make a very loud whirring noise. Even holding the pump, so there would be zero vibration, moving it closer or farther from the glass led to more or less noise. The new mount adds about half an inch of space between the motor and glass and the pumps are now silent.

Archived