inTank Media Baskets

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

looks like you figured it out. :) It is too late now but I was gonna suggest flipping the sump around that way your return has straight shot up. you would need a y fitting and 4 45's. I posted a head loss chart many years ago on my local forum. I cant seem to find it. But it explained how much head loss with different fittings and different size PVC. Although looking at your first pic that looked like the direction you were going. Why did you flip it?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

looks like you figured it out. :) It is too late now but I was gonna suggest flipping the sump around that way your return has straight shot up. you would need a y fitting and 4 45's. I posted a head loss chart many years ago on my local forum. I cant seem to find it. But it explained how much head loss with different fittings and different size PVC. Although looking at your first pic that looked like the direction you were going. Why did you flip it?

Because then the drains would have another 30" of horizontal travel and I wasn't sure how well that would work out. I'm actually pretty happy with the flow from the pump - through the two 1" eductors there is a large amount of flow, but I haven't been able to test long-term since I don't have enough volume in the system to be able to run it like that for more than a few seconds lol. Once I get some rock in, I'm gonna let her rip :)

20150820_200505.jpg

20150820_203409.jpg

jedimasterben

Looks awesome Ben! Do you still have that one ballsy GBG????? Of my original 5 I only have 2 left! Kinda figured that'd happen.

No, it died after the first order with Blue Zoo brought in brook. :(

Is that a leopard wrasse?

Calloplesiops altivelis

When you added substrate back to your 80 gallon, did your dinoflagellates come back? I'm asking because I have removed by sandbed due to dinoflagellates and I haven't seen any sign of them in several months. I'm really hopping to add some back at some point. BTW I love how you have your 40 plumbed!

jedimasterben

:( bummer. He was a brave little guy.

Yeah, it was. I'll be getting some more of them at some point, though (hopefully soon!).

Beautiful marine betta.

thanks! and that picture is a turd, here is a good one from the 80 :)

IMG_1362.jpg

Her tail is a bit torn, but it should grow back pretty quickly. She is now pellet trained, so feeding her is easier!

When you added substrate back to your 80 gallon, did your dinoflagellates come back? I'm asking because I have removed by sandbed due to dinoflagellates and I haven't seen any sign of them in several months. I'm really hopping to add some back at some point. BTW I love how you have your 40 plumbed!

They'll always be in the system, unfortunately, so when conditions arise that they like, they'll come back with a vengeance until they burn out and go dormant again. They did not return when I readded substrate, however, that was only a short time before the system was dismantled. I did not see any in the two months they were in the holding tub, but realistically, there was so much cyano that I'm not sure about any of it lol.

jedimasterben

Her name is Star.

How do you get and keep your fish so little Benny. I felt sure she was a big fish.

Stella, not Star. :angry::slap:

It's been roughly the same size as when i got it in January, about 3".

Yeah, it was. I'll be getting some more of them at some point, though (hopefully soon!).

That guy is still selling them on eBay and the same great deal. Can't beat it! :)
jedimasterben

Look at Ben bringing rimmed tanks back I better sell my rimless and pick up a rimmed 40 breeder so I can stay cool lol :)

:lol:

That guy is still selling them on eBay and the same great deal. Can't beat it! :)

Yep! They don't have any right now, but hopefully will when I'm ready for more.

Here is a quick video I shot showing the flow with only the return pump pushing through the eductors.

Damnit. F U J M B.

:D

Looks great ben! Went without the sand again huh?

Yeah, for now. Definitely saved me since I dropped a rock when I was putting them in the tank lol

jedimasterben

Spent about two hours getting this done. Not 100% into it. I'm also having some extreme difficulty getting the color right. The glass is foggy (though I cleaned it with vinegar), the tank water is a little fuzzy, and I think the wall color is throwing it off a bit, too. This is with just the LEDs, with the T5 on, as well, it's even more blue looking in photos :o

20150821_200518.jpg

20150821_200526.jpg

20150821_200531.jpg

thanks! and that picture is a turd, here is a good one from the 80 :)

I thought you took a flame thrower to everything in it to get rid of the Dinos.

Marc.The.Shark

tape some pieces of white paper to the back glass & see if it helps with the color rendering. Could be the blue wall like you say

Archived