Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pico rebuild- nano box edition

patback

True......but Bucket Dave is bringing in wild caught. Thought techniques may be different.

Need a long pole for both.

That's the joke were running with, right Jedi?

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lfs tomorrow and need to make up some more water. Hopefully they have some good frags. :)

Gti has a box coming to me with some polyps for killer prices. Can't wait to get them.

So today is a good day. Just picked up a huge head of acan with a nice yellow ring on it, a ricordea, and a small encrusting monti frag with a blue base with green spots and brownish red mouths. Idk what type it is but it is purty. Also, what makes it an actual good day instead of a day of dropping too much money is that I just saw the flaming prawn goby. :). She's still alive and kicking and just the best hide and seek player of all time.

I'll take pics of it when it's all acclimated. My yellow lens from my range glasses makes a pretty good filter and the light looks pure white

Before filter of new monti and ricordea

73963102-53F2-4D31-84DD-08BDF2DA2B9E.jpg

after

EB1DFF59-A0B3-49F8-AE50-D8886ACA835E.jpg

Acan is still closed tight so none of it yet, but here is the dirtiest fts I could possibly do. I'm going up to the store for razor blades and water now.

269214D3-A5D1-476C-BFD1-FCC280FFF148.jpg

Looking good! I didn't notice you had an MP10 in there until now!

Thanks! The mp10 is a life saver and I don't think I could do a pico without the controllability and low profile. Even with it being better shaped/flatter than a koralia it is still a sore thumb. It looks a bit better imo now that coralline has taken it over.

I had one in my Nuvo 10 but the softies didn't like it. I ended up putting a bigger return pump and a spin stream in there. The spin stream is about the same size as the wet side of the MP10 but a lot less attractive!

Love that monti!

Show your cans when they get all perky.

####ing worm was laying across the cans so they weren't perky.

I mean, I moved the feather duster over to let them open a bit. This worm is a pain in the ass.

####### worm was laying across the cans so they weren't perky.

I mean, I moved the feather duster over to let them open a bit. This worm is a pain in the ass.

I had like 4 of them worms ...like 12 years ago. Don't think they lasted all that long. How long have you had yours?

I had like 4 of them worms ...like 12 years ago. Don't think they lasted all that long. How long have you had yours?

I just got it like a month or two ago. Kinda wish I didn't because it is a stubborn son of a bitch and won't be happy unless it moves an inch to the right and just an inch to the right is a big deal in this tank. It also has some type of black sponge and a meaty algae incorporated into its tube.

I just got it like a month or two ago. Kinda wish I didn't because it is a stubborn son of a bitch and won't be happy unless it moves an inch to the right and just an inch to the right is a big deal in this tank. It also has some type of black sponge and a meaty algae incorporated into its tube.

Let your brother go fishing with it :)

That monti looks just like the one in my 4g pico! It's the first time I've seen one like it.

The lfs sold it as a rainbow monti but all the rainbows I've seen had different colors.

That monti looks just like the one in my 4g pico! It's the first time I've seen one like it.

The lfs sold it as a rainbow monti but all the rainbows I've seen had different colors.

My lfs only labels one tank, the rest are just priced and put on a rack. Harry said it is more than likely a fire polyes undata and Google says possibly a jedimindtrick. It is awesome either way! Hopefully I keep it colorful.

Yep, jedi mind trick or fire polyp undata are the closest I've seen to mine. Most of the pics I see online for jedi mind trick are a much softer green, though. Mine is a fluorescent green that's so bright it's hard to take pictures of it, with purple polyps. The growth edge is either purple or blue depending on the lighting. I've also had the green turn to blue when it's not doing so well...

21608374318_aab3c13531_b.jpg"Rainbow" Monti by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Yep, jedi mind trick or fire polyp undata are the closest I've seen to mine. Most of the pics I see online for jedi mind trick are a much softer green, though. Mine is a fluorescent green that's so bright it's hard to take pictures of it, with purple polyps. The growth edge is either purple or blue depending on the lighting. I've also had the green turn to blue when it's not doing so well...

21608374318_aab3c13531_b.jpg"Rainbow" Monti by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Awesome! So is it fairly easy to keep colored up compared to say, rainbow montis? What type of lighting/flow do you have yours in?

I actually feel relieved. Just did a huge water change after scraping down the algae with a razor blade, glued down the monti since It blew down on the polyps (anybody want those big cinnamon ones? I'm tired of them and would prefer to start some acan islands where they are) and then tidied everything up in general. Fts tomorrow. :)I am actually happy with my tank for once.

Awesome! So is it fairly easy to keep colored up compared to say, rainbow montis? What type of lighting/flow do you have yours in?

The only time mine has gotten discolored was when it was completely shaded under my monticap, and when something's been really wrong with the tank. Or when it gets fragged.

I keep it near the top of my tank right in the middle so it gets the most light of anything in the tank. But it's a pico so there's not much difference between top and bottom. I don't have super high flow and I think it wouldn't really care much one way or the other. When I feed my zoas with reef roids and calanus shrimp, I drop a little bit onto the polyps of the monti. It seems to really like that :)

I actually feel relieved. Just did a huge water change after scraping down the algae with a razor blade, glued down the monti since It blew down on the polyps (anybody want those big cinnamon ones? I'm tired of them and would prefer to start some acan islands where they are) and then tidied everything up in general. Fts tomorrow. :)I am actually happy with my tank for once.

Are those the ones Markalot has been battling in his 150? I think the only way he found to get rid of them was to cover them up with epoxy.

Thanks. :). I would have to check his thread, but I doubt it. It is the same amount of polyps I've had from the beginning. My sps actually grow more than them. One stalk was splitting when I bought it and it still is only 1/4 of the way done. It is super slow grower, just a bit too aggressive in terms of potency and brown for my liking. It used to have a nice blue cream color in the beginning but my lighting is a bit too strong for it I think. If nobody wants it, I will probably just hide it in the back of the rock work. I was planning on finding something super low light anyway to be viewed from the side of the tank.

4ECEE532-0FF3-4E4A-B1A1-1734B331B565.jpg

C60123FA-AC71-4847-B858-143EA88367A2.jpg

67895CBE-9CE7-44C0-8BCD-EE8BB13A8CF2.jpg

Fts, polyps I got the other day that I never took a picture of, and above tank shot. Thinking of moving the alveopora and undata around if the undata a polyps don't open by tomorrow night. That alveopora is stretching around too much anyway and bothering my favorite zoas.

56B88599-8000-4058-A396-616818AFB57B.jpg

Damm pattycakes.....looking great, man! Love the new acans!

I think I have the same brown palys......long shirts, large polyps and they look wicked looking under all blues....almost a yellow-green striping on black/brown....super slow growing.

That big cluster of Zs...in the front corner...just Eagle Eyes? They look good.

Archived