Top Shelf Aquatics

Muraki's Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Muraki

Marc.The.Shark

Oh ok so will the 36" have a wide enough spec to cover the whole tank rather than 2 nanos? So when will you be getting the 36"?

There's going to be more than enuf light, gonna have to get all the inhabitants shades......lol

post-12858-0-67631800-1439484833_thumb.jpg

The good thing is, Muraki can upgrade tanks about 6 times & never have to buy a new light!!!!'

• Like 2

Hey Muraki, I couldn't find a thread for your Fluval Spec V. Did you make any mods to it?

The mini jet 606 isn't on marine depot anymore. Is it just a bigger pump that fits in the chamber? I mean I suppose I could find a pump that fits and is bigger than the stock pump they offer.

• Like 1

Hey Muraki, I couldn't find a thread for your Fluval Spec V. Did you make any mods to it?

The mini jet 606 isn't on marine depot anymore. Is it just a bigger pump that fits in the chamber? I mean I suppose I could find a pump that fits and is bigger than the stock pump they offer.

Nobody sells MJ 606s anymore- discontinued production. Occasionally used ones pop up.

You are correct, it was just a small footprint pump with high (relative to size) flow.

• Like 2

I do have the 606 on it, along with the intank media basket and an MP10. Are you setting up a Fluval Spec V? If so PM me. :) Also the thread was very short and in the Beginner section back in 2013, I never kept it updated after that.

For now im stuck with my fluval edge, jellin

There are some sick setups out there for the Fluval Edge systems. http://saltwater-conversion.com/products/marine-pac-3

That is what I would get if I ever got an Edge.

There's going to be more than enuf light, gonna have to get all the inhabitants shades......lol

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The good thing is, Muraki can upgrade tanks about 6 times & never have to buy a new light!!!!'

I do not plan to ever upgrade though, I expect to be moving out of this house in the next 5-10 years. Maybe then I will get something bigger! I'll by mini shades for both clownfish... B)

Lol that's ok then, it will look amazing on ur tank... Can't wait to see wat growth you get on ur corals.....

I emailed him today asking if a 36" would ok for my tank, he said be more than enough coverage, so now Ive got the hard job of trying to save up for it! :(

You wouldn't even need as many Arrays, four V3's spread evenly would ensure perfect coverage, possibly even 3.

I do have the 606 on it, along with the intank media basket and an MP10. Are you setting up a Fluval Spec V? If so PM me. :) Also the thread was very short and in the Beginner section back in 2013, I never kept it updated after that.

There are some sick setups out there for the Fluval Edge systems. http://saltwater-conversion.com/products/marine-pac-3

That is what I would get if I ever got an Edge.

I do not plan to ever upgrade though, I expect to be moving out of this house in the next 5-10 years. Maybe then I will get something bigger! I'll by mini shades for both clownfish... B)

You wouldn't even need as many Arrays, four V3's spread evenly would ensure perfect coverage, possibly even 3.

My tanks 48" long so was worried it wouldn't be long enough but he said they would be perfect!.. Anyone want lend me $1050 lol

My tanks 48" long so was worried it wouldn't be long enough but he said they would be perfect!.. Anyone want lend me $1050 lol

How many Arrays will be on it, did he say? yea, an extra 12 inches, so 6 on each side will still be complete coverage, unless you have some crazy rock formations.

Been a while since I posted. Still waiting for the beast of a light to be completed. Patience is key! In the mean time, I removed the micron filter bag that I had in while the sand was settling, of course now since I am running such a high flow through the tank, I have bubbles galore in my sump. Currently working on a method to correct this problem, but I have confidence in myself. No pictures yet since nothing has changed, Been cycling for 3 weeks now, and will probably continue to let things work themselves out for another 2 weeks or so. Updates will be slow.

• Like 4

Very nice. I just setup the same tank drilled the same way and I love it. Good luck

Following

I've seen your tank from your classified posts! That setup with the stand is sick. I love it. Just wish I had the confidence to glue a tank together to fit the dimensions for inside a stand like that. Instead I had to build a stand around a more standard tank size. Do you like the jump from the 12 to the 22?

Weekly update on the tank.

Still waiting on the new nanobox to be completed. Excited and impatient beyond belief. Haha. Until then, no coral can be purchased... Just this past Sunday I added a Orchid Dottyback to the tank, little guy about 1.5" in length right now, would get pictures, but he is still warming up to the tank and is hiding under rocks, but eating well. The Coral Compulsion Fuge bulb is growing Fern Caulerpa, Chaeto and a few others very well, the Caulepa might need some trimming before I know it.

Part of my clean up crew included hermits, by mistake I did not read the description which I was stupid not to. Turned out I ordered two 2-3" hermit crabs. Luckily "The Reef Farm" here in Raleigh NC agreed to take them and place them into their 600-800 gallon bins located in their green house if they cannot re-home them. Should be plenty of space for these hermits. In the mean time, they have been in my sump eating silver sides and other mixed food like pigs. :lol:

• Like 1

Well, The Reef Store got a shipment in, so after 4 weeks of cycling and parameters looking excelling. I snagged up 2 more fish today. So currently in the tank.

- Orchid Dottyback (Captive Bred)

- Juvenile Black clown (Captive Bred)

- Molly Miller Blenny (Captive Bred)

All are very small still, will get pictures tomorrow since cell phone pictures are not worth anything. Ensured to get a Juvenile Black Clown, since I have no idea if my current clown in the Spec V has turned female yet. So now I have a tank with only captive bred fish.

This will complete the fish stocking list in the tank. Rest will be Coral, inverts, and Macro algae. Oh, and fingers crossed that the light will be complete before Dave goes on his trip. fingerscrossed

Nice build, looking forward to more pics ;)

Leave it to Amphipod and Harrold to turn a build thread into a total zoo......

Haha, nothing wrong with it! I have my 2 Dumeril boas and an Alligator snapping turtle that I love to death. And the spiders that I keep through the year. If I was single, I would probably have much more, but I don't think I could keep up with it all.

• Like 3

How many Arrays will be on it, did he say? yea, an extra 12 inches, so 6 on each side will still be complete coverage, unless you have some crazy rock formations.

He said 3 would be enough

• Like 1

He said 3 would be enough

Only reason the one I have will have 6 arrays is because it was the 3ft beast he was selling that was already started.

36" is buff. I have 2 Duo's over my tank and it seems fine.

Yea, it will be drastically dimmed, but I'll never have to get a new light when I upgrade to a larger tank! Love your tank by the way. If I knew I was not moving in 5 years, I probably would get something larger / Longer.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, updates will finally be coming in. I have had 2 fish in the tank for the past few weeks while waiting for the light. Well guess what?! I made it out to Greensboro, NC today and picked it up. Got to meet Dave in person, and I must say he is an awesome guy. Did get attacked by his killer puppy and took a good lickin'.

So plan is by Saturday night, I should have this light on the tank. It is a monster, probably a little overkill for the tank, but it will look fantastic! I will finally be able to add the first batch of corals to the tank on Sunday. I cannot wait! omgomgomg

• Like 4

Few complications came up with the new light. But that is being quickly resolved thanks to Dave's great customer service.

So for now, I will post a picture or my Spec V. Which is a MESS! But I love the tank. Very stable, mainly softies and Macro's.

Bottom left, which you cannot see, I have a petri dish that has a black sponge that I have been growing out in low light. It is now 4 times the size as when I got it. The Blasto's started with 2-3 heads, now has over 12. The purple mushrooms, I started with 1, It was also covering some Zoa's. As it grew and migrated, it freed the zoa's up and they are somehow still alive. The Kenya tree, was about 2 inches. It is now a feel grown tree. On the back side surrounding the Kenya tree is an encrusting gorgonia, which began has a 1cm x 1cm piece, It is taking over that rock. The RBTA was first bleached by me and my old light, it has since recovered and has not moved form that spot in 18 months. I forget the Coral growing in the back on the glass, started with 3 heads... Now it is a weed. But I enjoy it.

The MP10 has been swollowed up by Chateo and Blue octode, The red grape comes and goes in the center. The Caulerpa has made my clown fish very much at home. Up top right is the Blue octode that has engulfed the in/out of the back chamber on the Spec V. I have had to cut over 50% of it away. Then in the back is another Macro that I left to grow out hidden from view.

As you can see, I have made plenty of mistakes with this tank, but I hope to correct many of those mistakes on this new build. Along with re-homing the clown fish to the 22 gallon tank, which he deserves. Be gentle with judging the Spec V, It was my beginner tank. :)

Nanobox Tide, on the Spec V.

20150922_173300.jpg Phone picture. I need to find my camera....

• Like 1

Tank looks good to me :) been a while since I came through here.

I love all that macro algae growth. And the clownfish doesn't seem to be having a bad time in that tank even though its small.

What mistakes do you see in the tank?

• Like 1

Tank looks good to me :) been a while since I came through here.

I love all that macro algae growth. And the clownfish doesn't seem to be having a bad time in that tank even though its small.

What mistakes do you see in the tank?

The sand bed is my biggest mistake. I originally made it way to thick. Still removing sand every two weeks. It is a detritus trap because the pistol shrimp continuously buries everything. So along with that, I do not maintain the sand well enough to have it that thick. The rock is not touching the glass bottom, so it shifts along with the workings of the pistol shrimp. I don't run and filter floss, only chem pure elite. I don't keep up with cleaning out the floss enough, so it becomes another detritus trap. I honestly think the stability of this tank comes from the macro growth. But, I do plan on leaving this tank up even after I move the Clown fish to the 22L. I have to catch the Pistol shrimp as well. I think I will move him into the sump. Then I might add a pair of Fire Prawn Gobies to this tank once I get virtually all the sand out. Good news, the Spec V has been running 2 years without any crashes. Just dealing with high nitrates (I am ashamed to give numbers *API test kit*) but they are dropping with the sand removal. Slow and steady.

The clown fish is a piglet. I feed her once every 2 days, the off day I watch her scavenge for pods, which the MP10 is full of. I'll get better pictures of her tomorrow. I promise! With new pictures of the 22L! Side note, Until I get the new power supply for the nanobox, I can't use all the channels. So one side of the tank does not have any royal blues.

• Like 1

Parameters checked on both tanks. Didn't check to much since everything appears healthy in the spec V, which is mainly softies and 1 LPS, And the 22L is basically a new setup with a few small frags in it.

Note: I was complaining about my Nitrates being high in the Spec V, Apparently my test kit has just been getting worse. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and the Macro is truly helping out this tank. I bought a new kit and had the LFS test my water.

Spec V

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: <5

Calcium: 400

22L

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: <5

Calcium: 450

Pictures! If you want more details pictures of anything, just ask!

FTS: Stand is not against the wall a the moment. Doing some rewiring in the back.

***Waiting on a replacement piece for the nanobox, until then I cannot run blues on the right side of the tank. ***

IMG_0920.jpg

This will be the Macro side of the tank.

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

Molly Miller Blenny! Monstrous eater for a fish that is <1"

20151003_095857.jpg

2 dime size frags, paid $5 each.

20151003_095818.jpg

Hydroids: My current pest, that I'm ignoring. Shouldn't cause to many issues in the long run.

20150912_225603.jpg

Sump FTS (Still organizing)

IMG_0923.jpg

Glad for bubble traps! Nothing makes it into the display.

Through the week, I raise/lower the flow through the sump. Have not calculated the flow, but at 0 head pressure it is rated at 2100GPH. I stay at the higher end of the pump, and even run it at Max for periods of the week with no negative effects.

IMG_0926.jpg

Fuge Space!

IMG_0924.jpg

• Like 3