inTank Media Baskets

Muraki's Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Muraki

They were doing great. Released them all today since the last one hatched this morning. I wish I could keep one, but I do not have the time to care for more animals.

I want a brittle starfish, but they are good predators as well are they not? I would be afraid of shrimp disappearing..... I am considering a basket star once the tank is a few months old.

id say more or less oppurtunistic, if the prey item is small and weak, it might be taken like any dead particulate matter, but it depends on the species and size of potential snacks also.
  • Like 1

I will have to look into getting a small one to start with and keep an eye out on him/her. But I do want one! I ordered a reef cleaner package + extras (Will post the list later). I ordered the 20 gallon long package and added on extra snails and crabs that are not included. Knowing Reef Cleaners I will get a ton of extras, but Having a Sump with a 18 Gallon Refugium, I can actaully support the extras! Very excited for the package. Nitrates are showing up, but minumal. 0 Nitrites and 0 Ammonia. The live rock in the sump is crawling with pods.

Once the clean up crew is in, I will keep a close eye on the parameters since this will be a jump in the bioload. I am prepared for an emergency, but I do not expect anything to happen. After 2-3 weeks, I will start to introduce corals.

• Like 1

Side question, on each side of the 22 long, I plan on having a 10 gallon tall tank.... That will be plumbed into the system. The 10 Gallons will be Macro and live rock only. But I would like to know, will these be large enough to each house a Mantis shrimp happily? I would like to have 1 in each of the 10 Gallon talls. The sump will have a pump that feeds the 10 gallon tanks, and the tanks will then water fall slightly into the sides of the 22 Long. very little flow will go through the 10 gallon tanks.

How does that plan sound?

• Like 1

you can see why red was named red, he actually was a bit more red but the camera didn't get it.

turtles foot is all screwed up and you can see a few messed up parts of her shell.

the gecko also changes color and gets a dark mottled color on her at other times.

Side question, on each side of the 22 long, I plan on having a 10 gallon tall tank.... That will be plumbed into the system. The 10 Gallons will be Macro and live rock only. But I would like to know, will these be large enough to each house a Mantis shrimp happily? I would like to have 1 in each of the 10 Gallon talls. The sump will have a pump that feeds the 10 gallon tanks, and the tanks will then water fall slightly into the sides of the 22 Long. very little flow will go through the 10 gallon tanks.

How does that plan sound?

sounds fine to me

Package from Reef Cleaners arrived! Also I have a surprise change on the tank in the making.

Pictures to come.

Amphipod: I always hate to see turtles in that shape in the wild. I often find damage like that from them crossing the road.

• Like 1

I'm watching ©-©

I usually don't see turtles up here in Ohio period lol. But I see poor coons and others who were injured/ killed from cars. But turtles are slow and don't really jump in the road, so it's pretty much a case of people not caring. Do you see a lot of turtles where you are?

• Like 1

I'm watching ©-©

I usually don't see turtles up here in Ohio period lol. But I see poor coons and others who were injured/ killed from cars. But turtles are slow and don't really jump in the road, so it's pretty much a case of people not caring. Do you see a lot of turtles where you are?

I think people here in NC aim for turtles sadly. I see so many dead on the road or injured. Luckily NCSU has a turtle rescue team ran by the vet students. They accept any reptile as long as it is Native and non venomous.

Update: So can anyone say 36" light on a 36" tank? Will be switching out lights and should receive the new lights in the next 3-4 weeks....

• Like 1
Steensj2004

Awesome tank! You will like that huge sump and extra water volume. All that extra room leaves space for all kids of goodies, chiller, dosing pump and containers, you name it! Nicely done!

• Like 1

Awesome tank! You will like that huge sump and extra water volume. All that extra room leaves space for all kids of goodies, chiller, dosing pump and containers, you name it! Nicely done!

Thank you! Even with taking so much space with the Fuge area, I still have space that can easily be used. Get us a new FTS of your tank posted! : )

Marc.The.Shark

Update: So can anyone say 36" light on a 36" tank? Will be switching out lights and should receive the new lights in the next 3-4 weeks....

LOL, so you pulled the trigger on the light, nice! Gonna get it painted or leave it? Getting closer on mine, had my buddy use the Bridgeport & mill out a couple fins on the heatsink for mounting purposes in my fixture. This is a looooong build for me. That light will look sweet over your tank. Three or four V3 arrays?

• Like 1

LOL, so you pulled the trigger on the light, nice! Gonna get it painted or leave it? Getting closer on mine, had my buddy use the Bridgeport & mill out a couple fins on the heatsink for mounting purposes in my fixture. This is a looooong build for me. That light will look sweet over your tank. Three or four V3 arrays?

I jumped on the light because Dave tempted me, and I love his work. I know other people still go for other brands of light, but those lights are mass produced. Also by purchasing from Dave, I can support a local business here in NC! :)

I will probably have it painted black. And according to Dave, it will have 6 V3 Arrays, so I will have to drastically dim the lights, but I won't have any shaded areas in the tank. I requested for it to be decked out with all 4 channels etc. I jumped onto it because he said he won't be making any more of those lights in the future. I just think a 36" light on a 36" tank would match up so nicely.

Marc.The.Shark

I jumped on the light because Dave tempted me, and I love his work. I know other people still go for other brands of light, but those lights are mass produced. Also by purchasing from Dave, I can support a local business here in NC! :)

I will probably have it painted black. And according to Dave, it will have 6 V3 Arrays, so I will have to drastically dim the lights, but I won't have any shaded areas in the tank. I requested for it to be decked out with all 4 channels etc. I jumped onto it because he said he won't be making any more of those lights in the future. I just think a 36" light on a 36" tank would match up so nicely.

I'll buy the clams & you cook 'em! lol

I've got mine figured @ 30" with four v3's and was worrying about overkill, ha, no need for me to worry now!!!!

• Like 1

I'll buy the clams & you cook 'em! lol

I've got mine figured @ 30" with four v3's and was worrying about overkill, ha, no need for me to worry now!!!!

Yea I think I will have to decide on what I want and basically get it all at once. Then slowly ramp the light up through a few months and adjust accordingly. I've mainly only kept sofites, with exception to my blasto's which has done exceptionally well, even in the high nitrate levels. Again I am ashamed as to what the Salifert test kit and API test kit results read to say anything about the numbers.... Yet everything in the tank has been growing very well, but again softies!

chironerd21

Great set up, but I am not sure if any one here commented on the skimmer. That is quite a small skimmer for your tank set up. What is the total water displacement around? 22 gallons + 50 gallons sump? The water levels in your sump seems to be filling a lot. But then your stock list is quite a light bioload. I guess you don't plan on more fish or lps/sps corals.

Great set up, but I am not sure if any one here commented on the skimmer. That is quite a small skimmer for your tank set up. What is the total water displacement around? 22 gallons + 50 gallons sump? The water levels in your sump seems to be filling a lot. But then your stock list is quite a light bioload. I guess you don't plan on more fish or lps/sps corals.

I plan on the refugium taking up a large portion of the Nitrate export, but I have considered a larger skimmer if they begin to go up. Few options to choose from for the space I have available for the skimmer section, but there are good options. Yea, I don't plan to go crazy with lps/sps corals, but possibly in the future. Also, I will be attempting to keep Macro in the empty side of the tank (C. prolifera) since my current clowfish loves to sleep in it. 2 Clowns will probably be the only fish in the tank, possibly a 3rd. The entire system is comprised of ~52.5 gallons of water. the 22 Gallon display will hopefully be supported by the 18 Gallon refugium.

If required, this will be the skimmer I probably go with next: Skimmer

or AquaMaxx Q2 will also fit

• Like 3

Realistically a skimmer isn't necessarily needed as long as organic wastes are being consumed/ disposed of otherwise , a sump does a great job if done correctly.

• Like 1

Realistically a skimmer isn't necessarily needed as long as organic wastes are being consumed/ disposed of otherwise , a sump does a great job if done correctly.

And this is my goal! Still need to order another Refugium light. Love the Coral Compulsion bulbs for this. Been a little over 2 weeks since the tank has had water in it. So far all readings remain 0. The Nitrates are being used up by the Macro already in the system. CUC was added in the middle of the week and has been doing very well. The piece of liverock from my Spec V with coral on it is doing very well, but is in my Sump in the mean time until I get the new nanobox in. So this tank will get another 2-3 weeks to cycle since I do not have lights over the display tank any longer.

• Like 1

I think people here in NC aim for turtles sadly. I see so many dead on the road or injured. Luckily NCSU has a turtle rescue team ran by the vet students. They accept any reptile as long as it is Native and non venomous.

So wat happened to the lights on your other pics? Weren't they nano boxes?

So wat happened to the lights on your other pics? Weren't they nano boxes?

They were, but I worked something out with Dave. I did not realize he had a 36" nanobox half made that he was trying to sell.

Oh ok so will the 36" have a wide enough spec to cover the whole tank rather than 2 nanos? So when will you be getting the 36"?

There will be no dead spots, 36" nano box with six V3 pucks. I will have to drastically dim the light down, but the coverage will be 100%. Not sure when the light will be coming in, attempting to be patient and to not bug Dave to much. :P Also gives the tank more time to cycle properly before I put fish and Coral into the tank.

• Like 1

Lol that's ok then, it will look amazing on ur tank... Can't wait to see wat growth you get on ur corals.....

I emailed him today asking if a 36" would ok for my tank, he said be more than enough coverage, so now Ive got the hard job of trying to save up for it! :(

• Like 1