Pod Your Reef

Muraki's Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Muraki

Yep! That is exactly it, Basically the inside is a propeller with a twist to it, so the water flowing though it creates the spinning action. So my return pump flow rate determines the rate at which the spinners will spin. If I am incorrect, i am sure someone will correct me.

If you blow into them, they air flow will make them spin as well, just not as easily. Takes some force.

Oh ok great idea, so the pump you got will pumping water back through 3 returns then?

HarryPotter

well its the best 22 long build!! haha cute kitty :)

what is the benifit of having two over flows?

22 long build?!??! This is a 72 gallon long build! :lol:

Seriously one of the coolest setups I've seen. Love the clean look of the Nano Long display, but you also benefit from the stability of the (huge) sump

• Like 1

22 long build?!??! This is a 72 gallon long build! :lol:

Seriously one of the coolest setups I've seen. Love the clean look of the Nano Long display, but you also benefit from the stability of the (huge) sump

Haha what?! The title of the thread is 22 long

• Like 1

Oh ok great idea, so the pump you got will pumping water back through 3 returns then?

2 Returns.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note:

Water is in and mixed! Have some silversides sucked against the drains to begin the cycle, Will be adding live sand tomorrow. Then I will see what I decide to do from there.

On a side note, From my understanding, this is reef safe, I would like clarification from others though. : http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-4-in-x-0-170-in-x-25-ft-Polyethylene-Tubing-SPEB25/202257563

For those wondering, the water level is perfect, but I have to tweak a few things to silent the system, I am pushing over 1000gph through the system with the pump at 100%. The spinners work excellent, the surface of the water has a little of a wavy action which is pleasing to the eye. Will have pictures tomorrow. With the pump reduced to half, the water level decreases, but not by much, each pump setting would require a different tweak to reduce drainage noise.

I tested the system by placing my hand over one of the drains to see if the other one can makeup enough of the different to avoid an overflow, the water level did rise, but stopped at a safe point.

• Like 2

Love this build!!! What are the dims on the skimmer section? Pretty sure you're gonna want to upgrade that skimmer. Second question, are you worried about algae grow in your clear tubing?

This build is awesome, keep the pics coming!!!

• Like 1

Love this build!!! What are the dims on the skimmer section? Pretty sure you're gonna want to upgrade that skimmer. Second question, are you worried about algae grow in your clear tubing?

This build is awesome, keep the pics coming!!!

The skimmer section is around 6-7"L by 17.5"W, 13.5"H. I am hoping that I won't have to upgrade the skimmer becaues it is rated for 50-60 gallons, and the display section is only ~22 gallons. The sump has a 17 Gallon refugium space for macro algae. As for the clear tubing, I am certainly worried about algea growth, but I thouth it was worth a shot because I love seeing the water flow through the piping. Just in case I do have 25ft of black tubing in the garage. :D

More pictures once I get a new SD card reader for my desktop. My laptop that I was using decided to dive off the ledge. Was using it while on the battery, even though it was at 50% battery life, it just cut off. Plugged it back in to find the system is flagging the battery with errors. So ontop of the CPU wishing to run at 94C, my battery is useless. Disection time!

For those wondering, the water level is perfect, but I have to tweak a few things to silent the system, I am pushing over 1000gph through the system with the pump at 100%. The spinners work excellent, the surface of the water has a little of a wavy action which is pleasing to the eye. Will have pictures tomorrow. With the pump reduced to half, the water level decreases, but not by much, each pump setting would require a different tweak to reduce drainage noise.

I tested the system by placing my hand over one of the drains to see if the other one can makeup enough of the different to avoid an overflow, the water level did rise, but stopped at a safe point.

Great to hear.

Where exactly is the noise coming from? Directly at the bulkhead, more inside the pipe, coming out the bottom in the sump?

Marc.The.Shark

Here's how that T is setup on mine, let's the air escape at water level. And I'm pretty much a straight drop from tank to sump, just a couple 45's to break up tha fall a little.

post-12858-0-81269000-1437916932.jpg

I wanted to try this setup, but have never had the room to do it, plus I run a filter sock & the T setup above terminates into the sock.

post-12858-0-98152600-1437917043_thumb.jpg

I tried a few different things to quiet mine down & the T half submerged worked the best and was the least intrusive. Like I said, don't hear it at all with the stand door closed. I was trying to get you a pic of the actual setup, but it's kinda hidden the way I have my filter sock in there. The above pic should suffice :)

I tried a few different things with the airline as well, valve, etc. read somewhere that someone ran it all the way down, so that's what I did. Just sticks out the top of my standpipe an inch, then runs almost all the way to the T at the sump, don't know if that's helping or not as I added the T after, but it's quiet so I left it.

• Like 2

Great to hear.

Where exactly is the noise coming from? Directly at the bulkhead, more inside the pipe, coming out the bottom in the sump?

Coming from where the drain pipes and the water level of the sump meet. I will be trying Marc's method to reduce the noise. It is not terrible, but I am sure it can be better.

Sorry to hear about your computer. Can't wait to see more pics!

Thanks! I will probably fix the issue by taking the computer out back. :lol:

Here's how that T is setup on mine, let's the air escape at water level. And I'm pretty much a straight drop from tank to sump, just a couple 45's to break up tha fall a little.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I wanted to try this setup, but have never had the room to do it, plus I run a filter sock & the T setup above terminates into the sock.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I tried a few different things to quiet mine down & the T half submerged worked the best and was the least intrusive. Like I said, don't hear it at all with the stand door closed. I was trying to get you a pic of the actual setup, but it's kinda hidden the way I have my filter sock in there. The above pic should suffice :)

I tried a few different things with the airline as well, valve, etc. read somewhere that someone ran it all the way down, so that's what I did. Just sticks out the top of my standpipe an inch, then runs almost all the way to the T at the sump, don't know if that's helping or not as I added the T after, but it's quiet so I left it.

I will go and purchase the T's tonight and give it a shot.

• Like 2

Fiddling with the tank more tonight, and pulling a few things from the Spec V to seed the tank, I realized that the temperature was off, I had the heater set to 79F, Grabbed a separate temperature probe, Tested the air temp to be ~73F, which is accurate, then tested the tank temp, which was 87F...... Reset the Heater to 71F and placed a fan to run acoss the surface of the water, and within 2 hours dropped the temp to 80F. Heater is still off, I just wish the temperature probe on the heater was accurate. <_< Overall it is a good heater, stays constant, but I think I will look into moving towards the Apex systems I have heard such wonderful things about eventually. Last thing I ever want to do is cook my fish tank.

So, I also use the same brand heater on my Spec V, and sure enough it too was off :angry: , but luckily not as severe. I need to find a better heater. Any recommendations? Or should I stick it out until I can afford an Apex system?

HarryPotter

Fiddling with the tank more tonight, and pulling a few things from the Spec V to seed the tank, I realized that the temperature was off, I had the heater set to 79F, Grabbed a separate temperature probe, Tested the air temp to be ~73F, which is accurate, then tested the tank temp, which was 87F...... Reset the Heater to 71F and placed a fan to run acoss the surface of the water, and within 2 hours dropped the temp to 80F. Heater is still off, I just wish the temperature probe on the heater was accurate. <_< Overall it is a good heater, stays constant, but I think I will look into moving towards the Apex systems I have heard such wonderful things about eventually. Last thing I ever want to do is cook my fish tank.

So, I also use the same brand heater on my Spec V, and sure enough it too was off :angry: , but luckily not as severe. I need to find a better heater. Any recommendations? Or should I stick it out until I can afford an Apex system?

I love my Neo-Therm heaters... Used them for years on freshwater, brackish, and my reef tank with ZERO issues.

Keeps exactly perfect... Set to 80, tank is 80. No questions asked :)

Marc.The.Shark

+1 on the neotherm. I actually have the ecotherm, about the same from what I can tell, was a little cheaper. I also have an apex & it saved me with my last crappy heater that got stuck. I feel better with the neo/ecotherm as they're all plastic & can't explode like the glass ones.

The apex is nice tho, turns the heater on when the temp gets low & turns my sump cooling fan on when temp gets too hot. Love it!

I love my Neo-Therm heaters... Used them for years on freshwater, brackish, and my reef tank with ZERO issues.

Keeps exactly perfect... Set to 80, tank is 80. No questions asked :)

I will have to look into getting one, that is 2 for the neotherm.

+1 on the neotherm. I actually have the ecotherm, about the same from what I can tell, was a little cheaper. I also have an apex & it saved me with my last crappy heater that got stuck. I feel better with the neo/ecotherm as they're all plastic & can't explode like the glass ones.

The apex is nice tho, turns the heater on when the temp gets low & turns my sump cooling fan on when temp gets too hot. Love it!

Which Apex do you have?

I have to agree neothern all day! Its pretty accurate and i have yet to complain about it. I have it hooked up to my apex jr. So when it gets to hot in my sump, it turns off my sump light and turns on my fan. Pretty cool hahah and you can find some good deals on the forums

HarryPotter

I have to agree neothern all day! Its pretty accurate and i have yet to complain about it. I have it hooked up to my apex jr. So when it gets to hot in my sump, it turns off my sump light and turns on my fan. Pretty cool hahah and you can find some good deals on the forums

I like Apexmore too, but you can get a Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite for under $100. It comes with the same stuff as the Apex JR

Marc.The.Shark

Which Apex do you have?

I have the full version. Bought it used 1yr old with 2 EB8's, WXM, ALD & 2 sensors, Salinity Probe & module, pH & temp probes for $500. Sold off everything except 1 EB8 & the temp & pH and got all my money back. Free is good!! Lol. I got lucky.

I have the full version. Bought it used 1yr old with 2 EB8's, WXM, ALD & 2 sensors, Salinity Probe & module, pH & temp probes for $500. Sold off everything except 1 EB8 & the temp & pH and got all my money back. Free is good!! Lol. I got lucky.

Dang, I wish I could find a steal like that!

Marc.The.Shark

Craigslist. Guy was out your way, Connecticut or something. Did the "search all of craigslist" thing. Took me a while to find something. Then I was really careful to check the PayPal account for how long it was established, etc. Went smooth.

• Like 1

I will have to keep my eye out and check every so often. So far the Heater is holding the temp at 79F after I adjusted for how far off it is. I have baout 15lb's live sand and 8lb's love rock in the tank as well. Going for a minicycle. I'll keep things posted with water parameters.

So far no luck on craiglist hunting. But no rush. plenty of time to work on that route, already pushed the budget on this build conisdering I have to pay for a wedding this October. :bling:

On a side note, Fiddling around with the skimmer, I seemed to have damaged a piece, not sure how. But I contact CoralVue, told them what I did, even offered to pay for the replacement part, and in less then 24 hours I received tracking info for the new part without charge. I was really surprised of the customer service I received. They just requested Proof of purchase, picture of damaged part, and BAM new part in the mail. :)

The live rock I added to my sump has a good bit of life crawling around it, which I oddly find very interesting. Anyting crawling around the tank, no matter how small, I enjoy to the fullest. I Have also added Chaeto, and Blue Ochtodes into the sump, with 4lb's of live sand.

This Firday I will be doing a water test to see what the parameters look like. I figure I will still have at least 2-3 more weeks before I add anything else to the tank. Depending on water parameters, I might make an order from reef cleaners on the 2 week mark. Slap me if I am being to impatient.

• Like 2

Have you tried Reef2reef or Reefcentral? they usually have really good deals as well! Man i am excited about your tank and congrats on the wedding.!

Update on another note. So almost 2 months ago my mothers friends came across some eggs, and because they did not know what they were, wanted to smash them. Luckily my mother was with them and stopped them before doing harm to the eggs, she took pictures and sent them to me. I immediately new they were snake eggs. I drove 35 minutes out of my way, and took the eggs that the property owner did not want on their land. Noticed the sand paper like shell and knew they were black racer eggs. I setup a makeshift incubation area, keeping the temp at 80-82F and Humidty at 80-90% for 40 days. Not knowing how long has already gone by before the eggs were found, i expected them to hatch around mid August, well guess what? They are beginning to hatch today! I opened the container to two little nippy baby snakes. Cute little snots.

second time opening the container....

IMG_0905.jpg

One decided to explore the house while the other stayed for one more picture.

IMG_0906.jpg

4 hours later... 3 third one hatches! He was just as feisty as the first two, my Fiance was holding this one while I took pictures.

IMG_0910.jpg

• Like 7