Cultivated Reef

Muraki's Mr. Aqua 22 Long

Muraki

Thats lookin nice, bud! Light looks sweet, not over kill at all, it looks nice. Prob only got it at 10% tho, huh? Lol.

Thanks! I am really happy with it.

4 Channels

Cyan and Lime = 40%

Violets = 60%

White = 20%

Blues = 60%

Will adjust accordingly though.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Awesome tank. I like the simplicity.

One thought - have you had issues with algae in the inlet/drain? It seems like it would be a good idea to darken those to reduce exposure to light. Seems like algae would grow there.

• Like 1

Awesome tank. I like the simplicity.

One thought - have you had issues with algae in the inlet/drain? It seems like it would be a good idea to darken those to reduce exposure to light. Seems like algae would grow there.

So far even though the inner walls of the tubing is slightly discoloring from Algae, it is only a thin film and I do not for see it becoming an issue, but I have the required pieces to switch it out to PVC.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, update time. Just going to throw anything and everything out there with very little organization. Thanks for reading!

The bads: <_<

Currently have flatworms and dino's, Awesome right? Have not done anything for either yet. So far I think the Macro has been keeping the dino's in check (Mainly the Chaeto and Caulerpa). Dino's do cover other macros and reduce their growth drastically. Will start doing more to control this issue as time progresses. The flatworms, I decided I want to try keeping a Blue Velvet Nudibranch, so the population is almost to the point I think I am ready to get one. If that does not work, I think I have read a few recommendations for the sapphire damsel. The flatworms I have appear to be algae eaters, as they stay on the sand, rock, and glass. None on any of the corals. I also forgot, I have Hydroids, but they come and go so fast in different areas of the tank, they are so easy to ignore.

Testing my lazyness.... I have not done a water change since the initial setup. Nitrates are 0, and haven't checked the other parameters because all I have in the tank are softies, Zoa's purchased from another nano reefer. BUT, I will be doing a 15 to 20 Gallon water change here this upcoming weekend, mainly to siphon off all the dino I can out of the tank. I need to get pictures up soon, I know Dave posted one on his facebook page recently.

From the Reef Farm:

I have had a mini Maxi nem in the tank since the tank cycled and I had a light. Just a simple pretty green nem that chills in the corner of the tank. Green star polyps, received a rather large piece for like $10, but it was covered in an algae that did not agree with me, so I cleaned it all up, literally cut a 1" x.5" piece off, and tossed the rest, Glued what I kept to the rock I desired, and it has already been spreading like crazy. Also picked up a purple photosynthetic gorgonia that I ripped of the plug it came on and attached to a piece of rubble I had, it has been growing and encrusting nicely.

The Fish:

I purchased 3 fish, all from the Reef Farm. Black and white Clown, Orchid Dottyback, and a Molly Miller blenny. So far I find them all to be great fish. I even placed my Clown from the Spec V into the 22L, and within 24-30 hours the little black clown is now glued to her side. I was very glad to see no aggression after 10 hours or so. So I have both clowns loving the Caulerpa that I keep and allow to freely grow in 1/3rd of the tank.

The Clean up crew:

So, lets talk about these Nerites from Reef Cleaners.... I started hearing gurgling from my tank and a "WTF" came out of my mouth during a movie... So get this. Nerites truly don't care at all what you think, they do what they want, including going UP the overflow pipe, so going from my sump into my display. So Figures I will have to get a shield for the 1.5" PVC end that is in the sump. Tricky little buggers. But none are suicidal. Haven't lost any in the past 2 months weeks. I just hope they don't attempt to go DOWN the return pipe. fingerscrossed

The Spec V:

I can't decide what I want to do with this tank. Keep it, or shut it down. Currently it is basically pest free, except for the Vermetid's all over the place, but with a softy only tank, which exception of the blastos, nothing is bothered by them. BUT this tank has gone wild. I don't do much to this tank other than basic water changes and keeping the front glass clean. I have so many pods in the low flow areas of this tank, it is incredible. The number of brittle stars in such a small tank blows my mind, and I have an MP10 that is wrapped in Chaeto and Blue Ochtodes acting as a massive fuge area for so much life. The pistol shrimp comes out daily, specially when I feed the tank. The RBTA and the Porcelain Crap look fantastic, Specially under Dave's Tide, which he repaired recently. But I have decided to leave this tank fish free. Just to much going on, no fish deserves to be in a cramped space such as my Spec V.

I need to get out of my slump and get back to cracking down on this tank. I kind of regret cycling my tank with a piece of live rock that I received, will not mention from where, but I think that is where I got the flatworms and the dino from, probably the hydroids too. The tank I got it from looked very clean too. Serves me right I guess. Still no regrets on the tank, I just need to hop onto the flatworm issue before it gets to much further along.

And I think that is it... I just need to get pictures....

Pics! Pics! Pics! I'm waiting for MarineDepot to get these in stock. Such an awesome tank and your's takes it to a whole new level. That Nanobox is insane.

Also might be time for a WC :eek:

• Like 2

Pics! Pics! Pics! I'm waiting for MarineDepot to get these in stock. Such an awesome tank and your's takes it to a whole new level. That Nanobox is insane.

Also might be time for a WC :eek:

I'll pull the crappy Camera out tomorrow during the midday light schedule and take basic pictures, It is not good enough to do detailed pictures sadly.

Yea, I agree. Really, really need to do a WC. You should see the number of pineapple sponges in my sump and liverock in the display...

how do you like that skimmer?

Great little skimmer, just be ready for about a 1-2 week break in period before you get it to where you want. After that, it is easy to tune in and adjust to skim the way you want. Oh! And the company has great customer services. So keep your proof of purchase such as order receipt etc etc. No questions asked after that. Send a picture of the broken part, give them a model number of your skimmer, and BAM new piece in the mail. Fast, painless and they responded via e-mail quickly.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

very nice!! my tank is finally on the way!!!

I'll have to hunt down your thread to take a look!

This is looking great! so what is your sump looking like?

Sump is still not very organized, but it has a good mix of macro throughout the space. I'll have to get a picture up.

Awesome tank! I didn't see your purple photosynthetic gorgonian in the pics.

It is about a 2" frag that is in the sand bed centered under the light, still thriving and encrusting the piece of live rock I attached it to.

Update:

Battles!

Have not really been posting since not much has changed. Still fighting the Dino problem, but I'm winning the battle with very little effort. I am sure if I do a black out for 24-48 hours, It will be a 100% win for me. But it is almost completely gone without any black outs. Reducing the light schedule from 8-12 hours in the sump to 4 hours completely removed it from the sump. The flatworms population has either decreased, or remained steady in population. Reduced the amount of frozen food I put into the tank in hopes that will help with the issue. Still haven't gotten the nudibranch I want because I'm not ready to make a $175-200 order from LiveAqauria.

New stuff!

Well I really haven't added anything new to the tank while i'm watching and taking my time fighting of the Dino and flatworms. But early last week I picked up an anemone, Still researching to see what kind it is. It was a trade in, so the store I got it from was not 100% sure either. I liked the look, put it into my tank, and boy did he decide to travel and attached to the Caulerpa that my Clown fish like to hang out in. The Female was not pleased with it being there, so I moved the Anemone into my sump in the mean time. I'll get picture posted in the identification threads to see if someone can identify it.

Other than the rock being darker brown, the tank still looks the same, but Dave's 3ft light really brings this tank together. Once Dino's are under control, I really plan on stocking this tank. It will mostly be Softies, with a few SPS, and LPS. Going to a lower maintenance setup.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

If I am feeling good tomorrow "Cough" "Cough", I plan to have updated pictures for tomorrow of the 22L. But for now, I have some updates of the Fluval Spec V, It got renovated recently. I have decided to keep this tank up and running and just let it do its thing. Just to stable to shut it down.

The light output for the Nanobox tide is Blues and Moonlight 100% Whites 80-90%

Before:

IMG_0927_1.jpg

After: Clownfish has been moved into a bigger home. Happily paired with the Black and White Clown.

Not everything is 100% happy, I took this picture an hour after the renovation.

Fluval%20Spec%20V%20Dec%202015.jpg

• Like 4
Name Changer

Great progress.

How do you find the skimmer is performing?

Im setting up the same disign with a high flow sump and im thinking the bigger the better! Do you get good skimmate? I was going to go bubble magus curve 5!!!!

• Like 1

Great progress.

How do you find the skimmer is performing?

Im setting up the same disign with a high flow sump and im thinking the bigger the better! Do you get good skimmate? I was going to go bubble magus curve 5!!!!

Without a filter sock and the skimmer tune in properly, I was pulling in some thick gunk even running nearly 1800-2000gph through the sump. Tricky part is just getting the skimmer tuned in.

Name Changer

Woah 2000gph. Serious!!

I'll only be at 700ish.

Are heavy stocked? Im in the process of building the sump and im wondering if i make room for a big skimmer or a big fuge......

Woah 2000gph. Serious!!

I'll only be at 700ish.

Are heavy stocked? Im in the process of building the sump and im wondering if i make room for a big skimmer or a big fuge......

My pump is rated at 2100gph at 0ft head pressure, and about 2000gph at 4ft (DeepWater DC8). I leave my pump at 100% output.

Not heavily stocked at the moment. 2 Clownfish, 1 Dottyback and 1 Blenny. Have not gotten to much coral yet because I have been ensuring I beat my Dino outbreak, which seems to be almost over. I have an 18 gallon section of my sump just for random macro algae such as Chaeto and Caulerpa. I really need to trim my Caulerpa into smaller sections to avoid it going sexual.

Pic Dump (Cell phone pictures)

I need to actually go buy coral....

FTS

1451667061194927139921.jpg

My few frags.

20160101_113523.jpg

20160101_113518.jpg

20160101_113512.jpg

20160101_113535.jpg

The white on the rock is where I took a blow torch to remove some undesired algae. Algae died and was eaten by the snails and crab within 24 hours. Rock picked clean.

20160101_113555.jpg

20160101_113557.jpg

20160101_113605.jpg

20160101_113640.jpg

20160101_113649.jpg

Fish!

20160101_113536.jpg

20160101_113546.jpg

20160101_113613.jpg

20160101_113632.jpg

20160101_113710.jpg

Random picture of the circulation pump in my sump.

20160101_113751.jpg

20160101_113804.jpg

Close up of the RBTA in my Fluval Spec V

20151226_131449.jpg

Can you ID this anemone?

20151227_155153.jpg

• Like 2
Name Changer

What corals you got in mind?

Is your drain lines under full syphon or does that little bit left out the water allow air in, even though the actual bulkhead hole is fully under water?

What corals you got in mind?

Is your drain lines under full syphon or does that little bit left out the water allow air in, even though the actual bulkhead hole is fully under water?

---I plan to get some Monti's and possible a few other photosynthetic Gorgonias. But everyone has been posting pictures of their Rock Flower Anemone's which has been making me want to get some.

---Neither are full siphon. I actually have holes in the elbows with tubing going down the pipe to allow air into the pipe to remove any gurgling noise.

Looks like you have a glass or acrylic cover on there. Are you getting any condensation underneath?

Yea it is glass that condensation forms underneath all the time. Not cut to size yet, and have not made or purchased a screen top yet. I will be getting a screen top for this tank eventually. But without the glass, the SPS frag is getting 200-250 PAR while the bottom of the tank is getting around 180 PAR (Measured by Dave and his PAR meter). I'll be getting a PAR meter Monday, so I can get more accurate readings with the glass on.

• Like 1