Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Justin Fox's Fluval Edge 2 - New Video Page 15!

justinfox

I've never seen a tiger blennie. He's pretty. Is it smaller than a tailspot of 2.5"?

I just saw this video. Seems more outgoing: it's out in the open than a tailspot. Hm. Really like this guy.

I've also been contemplating the possum wrasse but it but I'm concerned it would be too shy when I read about it. The pygmy wrasse looks more bright for sure but I didn't know if it had the same temperament.

I'm upgrading from my Evolve8 to my 10g and going w/ a blenny and a wrasse.

So far I've also been contemplating these guys.

The two-spot-bimaculatus-blenny and the combtooth but the combtooth seems to look so much like the tailspot and now you've really caught my eye w/ this tiger blenny.

2 spot in two different pics - i love the mask it wears

two-spot-bimaculatus-blenny-ecsenius-bim

2spot_blenny_zpsufixbyx2.jpg

• Like 4

The Tiger Blenny's an Australian fish, and even for us Aussie's it fetches a hefty price tag of around $100+. I saw another one today at a different local fish store. This one was smaller and had a fat belly. The shop owner has owned him for 3 months now and he's feeding on pellets so I really really have my eye on this little guy now!

• Like 3

Sounds as if it's as rare as it is, I'll stick to the blennies I'm thinking of as this is only for a 10g tank. I can't justify putting that price into this little tank. Good to know. Thanks. And he's really pretty. I don't blame you. Sounds like he'll eat anything if he's eating pellets. I know since they're herbivores and because of the tailspot I had that he picked off the rocks, picked pods off the walls, he never had a problem finding something so I only fed mine once a week. Later I had moved him to a 3x bigger tank and the 2 clowns I put in after him took over a corner where his home was and he started to rarely come out though the tank was fed often and I think he became emaciated from fear and passed.

• Like 1

Wow the tiger blenny is awesome! Sounds like the one at your LFS is a potentially great find and inhabitant for this tank.

My suggestion for uncommon small fish for this tank was going to be flaming prawn gobies.

• Like 1

ddtigerblenny02-26-1102.jpg

1298-L.jpg

02DEC13_CStigerBlenny_YVF1_175i_001.jpg

Above images show the colouration of the ones I've spotted at my local fish stores.

100% I can't stop thinking about the tiger blenny!

I intend to add a lot more corals to my tank though, which freaks me out a little. I've not had so much live stuff in such a small tank before, when I was cycling the tank I had a tank crash 2 weeks in, which happened SO fast (hey I'm much more used to 600 litres!) so I'd hate to lose such a special fish from lack of experience.

One thing I have done is order a huge 200litre drum for natural sea water deliveries. Having this in my laundry with a heater and powerhead in the drum means I can very easily do big water changes if anything was to go wrong.

• Like 3

Gosh that fish is adorable though. If you can afford it, DO IT!!!

Super cute right?! I can afford it @FlowerMama (trust me, playing with cars is a LOT more expensive than reefing!), but I just want to make sure my tank is super stable before adding him as he's been caught from the reef (and they're quite uncommon!).

I have only seen one of the tiger blennys at a fish store near me, price was about $150 if I recall correctly and the little guy was about half an inch long. Fantastic fish with an awesome personality though. My bicolour blenny is probably the most fun fish to watch in my tank. They have such personality and mine always follows me as I walk around the room.

I'd probably stay away the damsels and the dotty backs in a tank that size, unless you were planning on only having a single fish in the tank.

• Like 2

I'd probably stay away the damsels and the dotty backs in a tank that size, unless you were planning on only having a single fish in the tank.

100%! I was thinking of only having one fish in any case. 2 at most but most likely just the one. And agreed, had a bi-colour blenny in my 6ft and loved him lots! Especially how he backs into tight holes into the rockwork!

In other news. 20 minutes ago power went out on the entire street. Freaked me out a little! I instantly worried about the tank! Power was only down for 15 minutes, but still, it was enough for me to want to buy a battery powered air pump just in case! *heads off to do some online shopping!).

• Like 2

I picked myself up a 650va APC UPS for exactly those scares. Where I live we get a lot of short 5-10min power outages and it's enough to reset the night modes on your pumps and things like that. UPS cost me around $100 and with only my pumps on it (about 50w draw) I get roughly an hour of up time. Battery powered air pumps are great (I have one also) but they are only good if you are home to use them when the power goes out ;).

• Like 1

Fell in love with the leopard wrasse some people posted around here. Afraid it's to big for the edge.

I was planning to have a pistol shrimp + watchman goby for the lower levels and some single fish (or small pair) for the top.

Also like those black clowns (if you want something little different).

• Like 1

I was planning to have a pistol shrimp + watchman goby.

I would if I could! I've personally never seen a pair for sale in Australia, nor have I seen a pair in anyone's tanks/builds either!

• Like 1

threesome ?

Have seen a few couples at lfs, but not the yellow one, which I really like. Definitely can get them online...

There's also a yellow pistol shrimp, but never saw him in a shop.

• Like 2

I would if I could! I've personally never seen a pair for sale in Australia, nor have I seen a pair in anyone's tanks/builds either!

Whaaat... It seems so odd what is relatively common in the hobby on one continent isn't on another... even when those animals originally come from areas much closer to Australia than the midwestern US! Even if I do have to deal with a bit of constant sand rescaping in my tank, the goby/shrimp symbiosis is my favorite.

• Like 2

sorry justin for making this the official goby+pistol thread :-P, but I just found found a vid of the ALL YELLOW version, which would be my dream couple

• Like 1

Whaaat... It seems so odd what is relatively common in the hobby on one continent isn't on another... even when those animals originally come from areas much closer to Australia than the midwestern US! Even if I do have to deal with a bit of constant sand rescaping in my tank, the goby/shrimp symbiosis is my favorite.

Totally right! It's funny how the world spins! I used to have a large pair of Golf Headed Sleeper Gobies in my 6ft. They kept the sand clean as, and their constant sand sifting is fun to watch, but when they start dumping sand on your corals higher up... that's when you lose your shit!!!

Nice setup Justin,I dig the tiger blennie. Fwiw

I've wanted a tiger blenny for a while but they are hard to come by here. Good choice.

The tiger blenny is adorable and your old tanks are beautiful. I can't wait to see what this one becomes!

Cheers guys! I'm glad you think the Tiger Blenny's a good choice. He's the only fish I've seen that's really got me excited about having a new fishy friend!!!

I don't think I'd add any other fish to the tank. I hope he gets along with my glass shrimp!!! One of the shrimp has gotten pretty large and none of them are afraid of me (always on my arm and fingers when I put my hand in the tank!). If the big shrimps (2 are larger than the other 2) threaten the Blenny I'll have to remove them.

I'll post some tank update shots tonight when I get home!

• Like 2

Totally right! It's funny how the world spins! I used to have a large pair of Golf Headed Sleeper Gobies in my 6ft. They kept the sand clean as, and their constant sand sifting is fun to watch, but when they start dumping snd on your corals higher up... that's when you lose your shit!!!

Cheers guys! I'm glad you think the Tiger Blenny's a good choice. He's the only fish I've seen that's really got me excited about having a new fishy friend!!!

I don't think I'd add any other fish to the tank. I how get gets along with my glass shrimp!!! One of the shrimp has gotten pretty large and none of them are afraid of me (always on my arm and fingers when I put my hand in the tank!). If the big shrimps (2 are larger than the other 2) threaten the Blenny I'll have to remove them.

I'll post some tank update shots tonight when I get home!

Looking forward to it man!
  • Like 1

Just a few pics!

Zoas from Fragalicious aren't all opened up yet. One head on my first hammer is still unhappy (almost opens up for some part of the day but closes back up), new neon yellow Hammer from Aquaristic up top is doing well. Orange/yellow Fungia from Hurstville Aquariums. Xenia from Newtown Aquariums (yes I've been having fun visiting various local fish stores!).

19470811440_33cae51e49_b.jpg

FTS. Still waiting for my MP10! Leaving the algae on the back wall for the snails and my future Tiger Blenny ;) (nah it's just too much of a hassle to clean lol!).

19663278921_7be6f3b8e7_b.jpg

Tank from the left looking into the kitchen.

19632602376_a09d7841d4_b.jpg

Glass Shrimp + Morph.

19658783965_fea1bf51b9_b.jpgI love Xenia. Tempted to buy more varieties as it just moves so nice.

• Like 5

I love Xenia. Tempted to buy more varieties as it just moves so nice.

I'm glad to hear someone else say this in print! I love Xenia too, though at the moment I keep mine in my frag tank as it is easier to corral in there.

• Like 2