Cultivated Reef

Dropped's Reef

dropped

How much did that skunk cleaner shrimp cost for you? They are sooooo expensive in australia.

Think it was $100 NZD. Everything is expensive here.

Honestly the price of live stock doesn't bother me to much. My reason for this is i would pay 1-2000 for a dog which is a pet. 100 bucks for a fish that will live as long as the dog is a small price to pay. And if you are in this hobby and are worried about the money side of it.. you are in the wrong hobby. Those are my thoughts anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been testing my ALK almost daily recently and have managed to reduce spikes and dips in ALK down to one time a week by spiriting my ALK dosing to 24 times per day using my bubble magus doser. That one time per week is when water changes are completed.

I’m currently using Red Sea Coral Pro (Black bucket) does anyone know if I switch to the Red Sea Salt (blue bucket) will this reduce my ALK spikes? Ideally id like there to be no spike ( could be pissing in the wind here, and might be pointless)

My DKH spikes about 1 DKH when I do my weekly water change and looking at the charts for both Coral pro and Red Sea Salt there seems to be about 1DKH in difference which is the same as the spike I see post a water change.

Red Sea Salt

coral%20salt.png

Red Sea Coral Pro

coral%20pro.png

Test results (9.6 is post water change)

alk.png

Am I guessing right? Will this work?

• Like 1

Horrible comparison photo but here is some growth since i added the radion to my tank about 6 weeks ago.

Left is the growth, right is before the radion was installed, also a massive colour difference as well.

growth.png

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update the tank is now 11 months old.

Was sick of coming home at night and seeing my house lit up like a Christmas tree imlumenating the entire kitchen and lounge. So I built a canopy out of some spare plywood, this is kind of a temporary thing as hopefully I'll be upgrading to a larger tank soon.

Here is the canopy unpainted

D36600EE-5B97-401D-AA46-CD8C285D3DEC.jpg

I have also mounted the radion into the canopy, it sits nice and snug in the top due to the slight wedge shape of the radion. Also mounted two 120mm computer fans into the top of the canopy which are controlled by the apex. I won't get to test these out till next summer though.

All painted, really happy with how much light this reduced in the lounge and the kitchen.

29C46700-2B73-4B85-BD47-BAEE3E829298.jpg

Also got around to mounting the apex properly to the side of the tank, it's still a bit of a mess but here is some progress pictures. I didn't take a before photo but you can kind of see what it was like in the first photo.

F4792BE4-1E85-4C44-B511-A7D7083D47A4.jpg

Not the best angle but it's getting tidy and out of the way.

9D928854-0C5E-404F-BB0C-29FCF1AADF30.jpg

Ive also noticed a few patches on my sps that seem to be bleaching. Here are a few pictures let me know what you think it is.

33BBD228-A2AA-480F-826A-24C4FB9DAB5A.jpg

0EEA9FD8-5A8E-4E72-91A3-80F39CD176C0.jpg

F671B21D-BA2A-4C12-BE76-127B35B81C19.jpg

C29DB964-0163-4AF7-8CE4-A5FB4F29FFAA.jpg

I had been ramping my radion up pretty high, it was at nearly 80 percent, I have since reduced it to 65 in hopes this will solve the issue, but I'm not convinced.

• Like 2

Might be too much light. Might also be parameters. How are the phosphates?

Good question, im about to order a hanna checker as my salifert test kit always says zero.

• Like 1

You might want to go for the Low Range phosphorus one that measure PPB rather than the PPM of the phosphate one. You can calculate the phosphates from the result using one of the tables online and it's supposed to be much more sensitive than the phosphate one.

Good question, im about to order a hanna checker as my salifert test kit always says zero.

I hope you sort it out. The tank is beautiful.

• Like 2

Cheers, although to late as I've already ordered the normal phosphate kit. Hopefully I get readings from it that help me out.

• Like 1

Okay, good luck. BTW, great minds.....

IMG_2859_zpsxelvgujl.jpg

Haha yes it seems so! very cool setup you have there.

Id like to have another planted tank but space is limited in our house and i want a larger reef tank, so its one or the other im told.

• Like 1

You might want to go for the Low Range phosphorus one that measure PPB rather than the PPM of the phosphate one. You can calculate the phosphates from the result using one of the tables online and it's supposed to be much more sensitive than the phosphate one.

I hope you sort it out. The tank is beautiful.

Turns out i did get the low range phosphate :) 0.02 ppm

Woke up to a few emails last night saying the temp in this tank was low.

Normally the temp sits at 25-25.5 and it was at 24.3 and going down! So glad i invested in an Apex as we are going away for a few days and i might not have checked the temp before walking out the door! The cold weather is slowly starting to set in here, my RODI water is in the garage and is 8 degrees so i could only imagine what would happen over the two days we are away..

In the graph below you can see the heater actually failed at about 9PM last night, and i got the temp warning at about 5am as it took a while for the tank to cool off.

Heater%20Fail.png

One thing with the apex... you would never know if the heater failed in the on position...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Few random shots, currently in the process of planning out a new tank i think ive got a few more months before i really need it.

71EEC7FA-12A2-40FC-9B63-AB4D04937A68.jpg

8858A7FC-9AD3-41DC-93E6-26D3492C9B2F.jpg

0E7C7763-422A-4DD9-8C29-A52327C9E7E7.jpg

104F2E4E-3BAB-4D77-B22F-99F59B443F19.jpg

• Like 3

It's taken me a week, but I finally have the alk steady after installing the jebao dp4 dosing pump. It's not as friendly on the programming side as my bubble magus, but it seems rock solid now that it's all programmed.

Alk is steady at 147 ppm which is 2 ppm higher than I want, but it's not worth chasing 2 ppm.

• Like 1
rickztahone

It's taken me a week, but I finally have the alk steady after installing the jebao dp4 dosing pump. It's not as friendly on the programming side as my bubble magus, but it seems rock solid now that it's all programmed.

Alk is steady at 147 ppm which is 2 ppm higher than I want, but it's not worth chasing 2 ppm.

Why'd you make the switch? I've been looking at both of these dosers.

• Like 1

Why'd you make the switch? I've been looking at both of these dosers.

I had thought that the dosing heads on my bubble magus were slipping and not dosing the correct amount and i wanted a 4th dosing head. Turns out the bubble magus was perfect....

The secondary set of heads for the bubble magus were quite expensive and i didnt have room for another unit under the tank, so somehow i justified it to myself that switching to the jebao dp4 would be a good idea and they are cheap from fish street and shipping was $2.

Looking back on my decision, the bubble magus is a good pump you just need to replace the tubes every once and a while like any dosing pump. The programming is also a lot easier as you can select say... 50 mls to be dosed and split that up into as many as 24 doses per day automatically and it does all the work. Where the DP4 you need to manual set each dosing time and how much to dose, in saying that once its set it very easy to work with.

one other thing, you can calibrate the DP4 where you cannot calibrate the bubble magus.

I am still using both pumps and am very happy with both.

• Like 1