Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dropped's Reef

dropped

Loving the twin tanks and loving the DIY, The cubes are very similar to my current tank in size. Nice work on the reef sump, I think the fuge idea will work just fine, similar to what I am running and what I plan to run on my new tank. What are your thoughts on the DC-3000? I purchased one for my 30G about a month ago, tested it in a bucket and decided to hold off until I set up my 50G lol. Seemed fairly quiet and had a ton of head pressure from what I saw in the bucket.

56cdd3fa1567b081a75a2d386ce37896.jpg

Pro!

Thanks mate, i have no idea what im doing, just winging it!

Loving the twin tanks and loving the DIY, The cubes are very similar to my current tank in size. Nice work on the reef sump, I think the fuge idea will work just fine, similar to what I am running and what I plan to run on my new tank. What are your thoughts on the DC-3000? I purchased one for my 30G about a month ago, tested it in a bucket and decided to hold off until I set up my 50G lol. Seemed fairly quiet and had a ton of head pressure from what I saw in the bucket.

Cheers mate, they are really coming along, the cycle is the painful process, i have also rescaped the freshwater tank.

The DC-3000 is a beast of a pump, it has no issues pushing the right amount of water. I have it set on level 1 and it still pushes a lot of water and is silent, even on the highest level its pretty dam quiet, honestly think i could get away without a power head in the tank due to the pumps return flow.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts. The pump seemed like a good contender and the price was very reasonable for a DC return pump. I hope I enjoy mine as much as you enjoy yours :).

I would still contact the seller and see if you can at least get a partial refund.

Yip have that all underway, needs to be sorted out by them.

Looks promising :-)

When you get the tank running I would love to hear what you think about your skimmer

Well its been cycling for a week now, so ill let you know in three weeks or so.

My rock tank is starting to get a bit boring, the rocks never move or do anything interesting. Sometimes the sand moves, but i think that's the power head.

I thought i saw something moving, but it turns out.... it was my pet dead shrimp, which seems to be getting smaller and smaller by the day, he does not do much either...

but seriously, as my signature says, im 8 days into the cycle and not a lot is happening apart from ammonia.

How long before i should start seeing nitrates and nitrites?

• Like 2

My rock tank is starting to get a bit boring, the rocks never move or do anything interesting. Sometimes the sand moves, but i think that's the power head.

I thought i saw something moving, but it turns out.... it was my pet dead shrimp, which seems to be getting smaller and smaller by the day, he does not do much either...

but seriously, as my signature says, im 8 days into the cycle and not a lot is happening apart from ammonia.

No real way of knowing. I typically use some sort of bottled bacteria to help the process along and it usually takes me about 2 weeks.

If you're using RODI then there should be no reason for Prime. Prime removes the chlorine and chloramines which your RODI unit should do. Using prime past that would actually hurt the cycling process since Prime locks up ammonia as ammonium for a little while.

• Like 1

I am in the same situation.............

Even though I used dry rock I find myself looking for pods or other glimmers of life like a crazy person :)

Unless I have some how found the secret formula for creating life then I am going to continue to be disappointed.

• Like 2

I am in the same situation.............

Even though I used dry rock I find myself looking for pods or other glimmers of life like a crazy person :)

Unless I have some how found the secret formula for creating life then I am going to continue to be disappointed.

Haha pretty much, i know other people who have started their cycle at the same time as i did, they did use live rock though, and they are already seeing nitrates and nitrites. A local guy is going to give me a rock out of his sump to start the seed faster. He has lots of pods so it should help get some life into the tank

If you're using RODI then there should be no reason for Prime. Prime removes the chlorine and chloramines which your RODI unit should do. Using prime past that would actually hurt the cycling process since Prime locks up ammonia as ammonium for a little while.

Perfect thank you for that explanation!

Yea I was lucky enough to get some free bits of live rock rubble from a fellow reefer in my area on the way home from work today.

So I will be on pod watch all night!!

• Like 1
HarryPotter

This cycle is taking forever, its been 18 days now, and I am only seeing ammonia....

How high is the Ammonia? If it is too high, you will be preventing bacteria from breaking it down.

Whats the PPM? If too high, (IMO 2.5ppm+), you might want to consider a water change.

• Like 1

This cycle is taking forever, its been 18 days now, and I am only seeing ammonia....

Tell me about it hey!!! My cycle took exactly one month!!! Super frustrating but just know for sure that your tank will cycle, no question about that!

• Like 1

How high is the Ammonia? If it is too high, you will be preventing bacteria from breaking it down.

Whats the PPM? If too high, (IMO 2.5ppm+), you might want to consider a water change.

It was about 4ppm, it has come down to about 2 or 3 PPM now.

Tell me about it hey!!! My cycle took exactly one month!!! Super frustrating but just know for sure that your tank will cycle, no question about that!

Yes super painful, i guess time will tell.

Are you using any bacteria supplement?

I have a piece of LR in there, hoping that will help.

just took the tour- nice job on the build! love the shots of the two tanks together. You filling this tank up with sps?

Cheers mate, i think the two tanks would look better if i had a real camera, and knew how to use it haha.

Ive got no idea what im going to fill it up with yet, ive got my two clowns ordered and a BTA, apart from that, ill have to wait and see.

I found a bargain on a Maxspect razor 160w, so i ordered it even though its going to be 10cm to long for the tank haha, its also my excuse for when i want to upgrade to a larger tank... "ive got the light, so why not" haha

Here is my cycle results for the last 20 days

post-87675-0-47685300-1436402966_thumb.jpg

• Like 1