SaltCritters.com

Dropped's Reef

dropped

Your plumbing looks familiar lol. Looking good mate. I'd be keen to hear how you get on with that skimmer once you're up and running. Looking at these and bubble magus again for my next tank. I already know how quiet the jebao pumps are.

Hahaha the plumbing is one of the few things i did not copy, i did copy o0steveo0o from NZMAS on the sump though.

Epic FAIL this morning....

I don't know what i was thinking when i designed the size of the teeth on the overflow box, turns out i didn't account for water tension between the teeth which is approximately 5-10mm.

So this meant that the water level was way to high!! so off comes the overflow box DOH!!!!

Wow, a truly inspiring build. Definitely following.

It's really awesome of you to share all of your custom work here. The tanks and stands are amazing. And that plumbing! Gives me something to aspire to. Can't wait to see how this project goes on.

• Like 1

Kinda thought the overflow looked a bit high.

Real sorry mate, it will be worth it when you got it sorted.

All sorted now :)

just waiting for the silicone to cure then i can fill it up to test.

tanked_kiwi

Hahaha the plumbing is one of the few things i did not copy, i did copy o0steveo0o from NZMAS on the sump though.

Wasn't implying you copied it, though thats probably what it looked like over the net lol. Just found it funny that its so similar.

You must be close to starting it up???

Haha kind of sounded like it, but im not one to take offence to much.

Yip ready for salt water!!!! Just need the ro unit to turn up, and i can get going!!!!

Also need to test the overflow box now that I've

lowered it.

tanked_kiwi

Haha kind of sounded like it, but im not one to take offence to much.

Yip ready for salt water!!!! Just need the ro unit to turn up, and i can get going!!!!

Also need to test the overflow box now that I've

lowered it.

How far did you lower it?

Lowered it a good 15mm, so when the tank is level, which is isnt now, there will be about 25mm between the water level and top of the tank.

now that i think of it... maybe its not enough.

That sounds about perfect

Guess i will know tonight, fingers crossed, i think i like your overflow setup better, more robust.

Sounds good providing your not having much wave action.

What are using for water movement?

I think its a jaebo wp-8, ill have to check the box, i dont have an intention of having waves but i guess you never know.

The Jaebo wp series are awesome pumps and you can adjust the flow anyways.

Waves lol....... Not the best description I have ever made but perhaps side to side water wobble would describe what I mean.

• Like 1

Haha i got what you meant, waves described it to me perfectly!

Its hard to tell what flow is like without any life in the tank, i personally think my return pump could supply enough flow haha.

DO NOT BUY THE API REEF MASTER TEST KIT!!! Red Sea Foundations or Salifert kits. Red Sea tends to be cheaper and easier to use.

• Like 1

DO NOT BUY THE API REEF MASTER TEST KIT!!! Red Sea Foundations or Salifert kits. Red Sea tends to be cheaper and easier to use.

haha thanks mate! i had read that in the past hence the "??"

now i just have to try and find one in NZ...

tanked_kiwi

Agreed, although I feel API is all you need for ammonia and nitrite during cycling.

haha thanks mate! i had read that in the past hence the "??"

now i just have to try and find one in NZ...

The Red Sea kits are widely available here, I use them for N03, P04, kH, Ca and Mg and they're sweet as. Only the phosphate test is hard to distinguish colours between 0 and 0.06.

• Like 1

Tank has now been cycling for 48 hours..... only 682 hours to go...

I feel you man haha. Waiting always sucks for cycling :|

Love how everything has turned out so far, def gonna be following along for the ride!

I feel you man haha. Waiting always sucks for cycling :|

Love how everything has turned out so far, def gonna be following along for the ride!

haha cheers mate, its been a few months in the making so another wont hurt, i have a couple picaso clowns on hold for when the tank is ready. so will finally see some life.

when can the clean up crew go in?

• Like 1

haha cheers mate, its been a few months in the making so another wont hurt, i have a couple picaso clowns on hold for when the tank is ready. so will finally see some life.

when can the clean up crew go in?

Once you start seeing Diatoms (brown stringy stuff on the rocks) I would throw in the CUC. That way they have stuff to munch on

The house is getting to much moisture in it at the moment, so the misses asked (ordered) me to put lids on the tank and sump.

17e46a24d2cd2b3cb3d74a827d2a6020.jpg

cut out a place for the filter sock, skimmer and return pump

1a21e1ffdf577dfe27393c00a00c301d.jpg

everything fits perfectly

56cdd3fa1567b081a75a2d386ce37896.jpg

And to stop the filter sock from over flowing over the top of the sump when it clogs, I'm going to cut a hole in the filter socks above the water line but under the sump lid, hopefully that should stop the water over flowing out the top of the sump.

• Like 2