Pod Your Reef

Dropped's Reef

dropped

This does sound like lack of oxygen. It reminds me of when I had issues running a small frag tank in my garage with a canister filter. I wasnt getting enough oxygen and the water developed a nasty film. I remember the water being cloudy like that as well. I also had a good amount of surface movement but with a good surface film, it didnt matter.

I ended up fixing it with an aerator inside a hang on filter. It did a good job of turning over and aerating the water column.

Have you checked you ph? If its low thats another sign of oxygen being an issue.

Cool, have put an air stone in the tank tonight lets hope that helps out. Ph is pretty normal sitting at around 8.

That's great advice! To answer the question about whether the skimmer helps with oxygenation, any bubbles are good. But I think (I could be wrong) that aeration in the display helps mostly because it gets the water gas exchange at the surface going and breaks up any surface film.

Yea, dont want to risk it, the corals dont like the bubbles but ill keep it going a while. I have also put a filter sock back in, and ill remove it in the morning before work. Hoping it doesnt over flow tonight!!

• Like 1

Night of Day 5 post NoPoX over dose

• 15L water change
  • Added new filter sock
  • No feeding fish tonight
  • No dosing aminos either
  • PH 8
  • Salinity 1.025
  • Alk 148
  • Like 2

Morning of Day 6 post NoPox Over dose

• Filled skimmer cup over night,running a very wet skim.
  • Filter sock not clogged at all this morning
  • Ph stable
  • Water is about 25% clearer (Air stone must be doing the job)
  • Noticed a small amount of bleaching on one of my pink birdsnests, everything else seems ok

There may be light at the end of this tunnel.

• Like 4

Morning of Day 7 post NoPox Over dose

• still skimming wet
  • Same filter sock in, still not clogged
  • Ph stable
  • 2 days of running an air stone
  • All SPS look ok today, some colour loss
  • no water change last night
  • Water is 95% clear
  • Like 1
vegasgundog

Looks like things are going well. Learning from your experience I'm going to use a sharpie marker and write what everything is on top of the cap of all my red sea stuff.... "NoPox, mag, CA, alk".

• Like 1

Glad to see things are all doing well so far mate. Told you not to write the corals of just yet ;) They are definitely more resilient then we give them credit sometimes.

• Like 1

Hopefully you're turning the corner!

Yip same here or I'd have nothing to put in the new tank!! Haha

So glad it looks like everything survived.

Cheers mate!

Glad to see things look like they are on the upswing.

Don't think we are totally out of the woods yet, but well on the way!

Looks like things are going well. Learning from your experience I'm going to use a sharpie marker and write what everything is on top of the cap of all my red sea stuff.... "NoPox, mag, CA, alk".

Haha yes!!! Me too!

Glad to see things are all doing well so far mate. Told you not to write the corals of just yet ;) They are definitely more resilient then we give them credit sometimes.

Yea I'm surprised, also just found my hermit crab, thought he was dead, looks like everything has made it so far!!

• Like 3

Morning of Day 8 post NoPox Over dose

• still skimming wet
  • Same filter sock in, still not clogged
  • Ph stable
  • Removed Air stone
  • no water change last night
  • Water is 98% clear
  • Alk intake is on the way up, from 0 ml per day to 16ml yesterday. have increased it to 24 ML today. previously uptake was 40ml per day.
  • Like 2

Morning of Day 12 post NoPox Over dose

• still skimming wet
  • Filter Sock replaced
  • Ph stable
  • Water is 100% clear
  • Alk intake is up to 45 ml per day

This will be the last update, looks like we made it through the other side.. Also tested nitrate and phosphate and they are both at zero... i wonder why :)

• Like 3

Morning of Day 12 post NoPox Over dose

• still skimming wet
  • Filter Sock replaced
  • Ph stable
  • Water is 100% clear
  • Alk intake is up to 45 ml per day

This will be the last update, looks like we made it through the other side.. Also tested nitrate and phosphate and they are both at zero... i wonder why :)

I have a theory about that if you are interested ;)

• Like 1

Seems that the only thing that has not survived was my snail population, so far 5 have died and i thought it was my shrimp and hermit crab killing them. But ive just seen one upside down and dead, so im guessing this is from the nopox OD, oh well could have been worse!

0AFF7F1D-8710-4DD8-B0E2-8E892A447724.jpg

Ive also made the decision to close down this tank..... instead of doing a tank transfer to the new 90 gallon tank. There are just too many small things that annoy me and a clean start will fix them. here is a list..

Macro Algae i cannot get rid of attached to most rocks

Flat worms are back

vermite snails

C105E4A6-28AB-41DB-ABA9-24CEA89E2664.jpg

( and yea all the crap builds up under my frag rack so ignore it haha)

thinking about it... i could fix month of those issues with fish...

what do you all think? ditch the rock and start again or try and fix it with fish?

pappadumplingz

Maybe try flatworm exit, from what I've seen it's quite effective. Maybe try a lawnmower blenny, or some algae eating fish to rid of the macro's.

• Like 1

a few pictures with the radion set to 10k and using the iphone app called "Manual" also set to 10k. if anyone has any tips to get a better pic let me know.

46CFD9EB-EA76-43B3-A932-6EF9CB1AA919.jpg

Excuse the heater in the DT i couldnt get it into the same place in the sump as the old one so its in the DT for now.

E56FF10A-FE06-45F5-8F55-A9D792F9E342.jpg

C94D76B4-5AF1-4C7D-9F67-F18385393006.jpg

6B6C63A2-C573-49FD-ACBA-D1837299CFC3.jpg

obviously there is a serious lack of colour after the nopox mishap.

• Like 4

Can anyone explain why moving from dosing alk @ 9 ml 5 times a day (total 45ML) to 2 ml 23 times per day (46ML) would increase ALK by 20 PPM in 24 hours?

Can anyone explain why moving from dosing alk @ 9 ml 5 times a day (total 45ML) to 2 ml 23 times per day (46ML) would increase ALK by 20 PPM in 24 hours?

Something wrong with the balance, most likely precipitate somewhere. Either that or dosing pump inaccuracy exaggerated by the numerous small doses.

I just landed here ... are you dosing the same alk and calcium daily? Recent Mg test?

Those flatworm vanish as a tank matures, though it seems either a yellow tail damsel or pygmy wrasse will eat them.

Still climbing back in the thread. I don't see how a nopox overdose will hurt other than possibly crash PH and make a snotty mess.

PO4 swings can be as deadly as Alk swings, learned this the hard way. If you are really sitting at 0 then concentrate on increasing both import and export to get more food moving through the system. Colors looked fine a couple of months ago, nice and saturated.

Did you grow this coral in this tank?

7327D4C2-5FE6-4E4C-87FC-54E130D92A9A.jpg

If so then try and return to what you were doing when it looked like this because those colors are terrific.

• Like 2

Ok, obviously not a new tank, really looking forward to the new 90 gallon though.

I am anti GFO and anti filter socks, especially on a larger tank. Right now in my 150 I'm dosing 3 drops of PhosphateRx daily, into the sump without a care in the world, PO4 stays at .03. Nitrates also 0 so I will occasionally dose Acropower if I see colors fade. If you plan to stick to SPS you need to learn to judge health by the way the acros look AND testing.

Get yourself a tang and stop worrying about algae. :)

• Like 2