Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dropped's Reef

dropped

It is always tricky to move an established tank to a new one. Can I ask why you are doing water changes so often?

Your bacteria levels have plummeted since your tank transfer, and corals depend on a myriad network of them for biological functions, some of which aren't understood fully today. As long as you're not detecting ammonia/nitrite I wouldn't be doing any water changes to try and bring your dead artificial sea water back to life. Adding liverock and livesand from very established and clean systems will most probably help.

It is always tricky to move an established tank to a new one. Can I ask why you are doing water changes so often?

Your bacteria levels have plummeted since your tank transfer, and corals depend on a myriad network of them for biological functions, some of which aren't understood fully today. As long as you're not detecting ammonia/nitrite I wouldn't be doing any water changes to try and bring your dead artificial sea water back to life. Adding liverock and livesand from very established and clean systems will most probably help.

The tank was stable for almost three weeks with no problems post the move, then i introduced the new rock and increased my photo period over my fuge last weekend and since then...... sh*&t has hit the wall.

Ammonia 0

Nitrates are currently at 0.2

phosphate at 0.8.

this tank was 14 months or so old before the move, im going to ride this out and not add any more rock, yea might loose some coral in the process.

Corals don't like to be moved. I wish I knew the secret to those tanks that upgrade and move and all that without any casualties. I learnt the hard way that my new tank water was much too clean for my established colonies. Yours just look like they pooped out their colors but are alive. Mine were RTNing like crazy.

I would venture to guess that a combination of clear and clean water with a lot of light and it being new and low in nutrients caused them stress and they decided to show a stress response. Feeding is one way to get them to survive, amino acids are good also. What is your alkalinity at? and calcium?

Nitrate and phosphate levels seem good - but they are deceptive. The high nitrate could be the last bit of cycling that is happening with the addition of the new rock - there would have been some die off. And the phosphate level is also explained by the same rocks - they could be leeching. Both these things are not bad, they might actually help.

• Like 2

Hope things turn around for you. I think you're doing the right thing by holding steady rather than undoing.

Its hard to not pull it all out, but i think holding steady is the lesser of the two evils haha.

Corals don't like to be moved. I wish I knew the secret to those tanks that upgrade and move and all that without any casualties. I learnt the hard way that my new tank water was much too clean for my established colonies. Yours just look like they pooped out their colors but are alive. Mine were RTNing like crazy.

I would venture to guess that a combination of clear and clean water with a lot of light and it being new and low in nutrients caused them stress and they decided to show a stress response. Feeding is one way to get them to survive, amino acids are good also. What is your alkalinity at? and calcium?

Nitrate and phosphate levels seem good - but they are deceptive. The high nitrate could be the last bit of cycling that is happening with the addition of the new rock - there would have been some die off. And the phosphate level is also explained by the same rocks - they could be leeching. Both these things are not bad, they might actually help.

Well the tank was fine for three weeks until i added the rock and messed with my fuge lighting... But i think you are bang on about it being the end of the cycle and the tank being too clean and clear. I dont see any RTN or STN yet but they are all pretty white.

I've also turned my radion down to 30% and shortened the T5 light period.

I'm currently dosing Red Sea energy A & B at a half dose morning and night and also reef frenzy at night once the lights are out.

Here are my current levels

aquarium8501.png

So sorry dropped! Hoping everything comes around soon for you. Hang in there.

Cheers Mate!

if the rock you added is likely the source of the problem why continue leaving it in there?

Amonnia is gone, damage is done. Its about the recovery now.

• Like 1

Update:

I have been dosing 8ML of both Red Sea Energy A & B per day and at night after the lights are out feeding the tank reef frenzy.

Colour: my largest acro is starting to show blue/purple tips again, i think colour is slowly coming back.

Losses so far:

2 x aussie acro (under an 3CM in size)

1x gorgonian about 35CM tall

The gorg is the biggest loss so far, ive had it since the start of my reefing and it was growing really well, have even had to frag it a few times.

Alk has been stable at 8.9 DKH i have reduced the dosing from 45 ML per day to 27 ML all other parameters are stable.

my skimate is the best its ever been! must be due to all the reef frenzy and red sea energy.

• Like 3

I'm glad things are starting to bounce back for you mate.

thanks mate! Some days i think there is slightly more colour (color for the Americans :) ) and other days i think its going backwards.. so i guess we will see.

• Like 2

thanks mate! Some days i think there is slightly more colour (color for the Americans :) ) and other days i think its going backwards.. so i guess we will see.

Time will tell my friend. If this hobby has taught me anything it's that good things take time.

• Like 2

Nice to hear your stuff is colouring up again. Hope it keeps getting better

It's funny how the damage is done so quickly and the recovery takes ages. But yea some colour is coming back. I've had to put a couple of acans back into my nano as they were going translucent, not sure what's better, keep them in there or move them to a healthier environment.

Glad to hear things are better. More coral food = more skimmate :)

Haha yip! I've found there is a line though, between what the tank can process and what causes amonnia/ nitrate spikes. My nitrates are at about 0.3 currently.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Well here is some disappointment caused by rushing.

the bigger colony on the right is bigger than a spread hand, it was the largest colony in the tank.

7A6F75C4-F340-4899-ABB4-667C41DD92C1.jpg

• Sad 1