ReefCleaners.org

Dropped's Reef

dropped

That's probably not too terribly bad, then. Your nitrates level should be pretty good over the next couple days :D

I guess we could look at the positive side of it haha.

Im sure ive done this twice now without knowing, oh well i guess we will have to wait and see over the next few days/weeks

• Like 1

Damn that sucks!

Btw alk issues seem like they started after the doser, did you check to make sure it is running properly?

• Like 1

Damn that sucks!

Btw alk issues seem like they started after the doser, did you check to make sure it is running properly?

Yea, alk is stable now at 140ppm and has been for the last 9 days so im happy with that.

• Like 2

That sucks dude but I think you will be fine. NoPox is basically vinegar and while excess doses can drop Alk it will basically just get skimmed out. If you have been dosing it daily just cut the dosing back for a few days. Keep an eye on your levels and see if the corals are distressed. I think you will be fine, nowhere near as bad as dosing 40ml of Alk buffer. FYI, I did buy a bottle of NoPox to help with Cyano, worked really well and I went up to something like 5ml per day while I had it. I feel like I'm getting better results using white vinegar at the moment, at a fraction of the cost but it is a larger dose.

• Like 2

That sucks dude but I think you will be fine. NoPox is basically vinegar and while excess doses can drop Alk it will basically just get skimmed out. If you have been dosing it daily just cut the dosing back for a few days. Keep an eye on your levels and see if the corals are distressed. I think you will be fine, nowhere near as bad as dosing 40ml of Alk buffer. FYI, I did buy a bottle of NoPox to help with Cyano, worked really well and I went up to something like 5ml per day while I had it. I feel like I'm getting better results using white vinegar at the moment, at a fraction of the cost but it is a larger dose.

Im not even going to ask what the results of 40ML of ALK was :)

But you have a good point, i think i have done this twice. thinking back... i think it was at the same time as my alk swinging up.

I wonder if that much NoPox would piss the coral off enough for it to slow in alk up take?

• Like 1

Im not even going to ask what the results of 40ML of ALK was :)

But you have a good point, i think i have done this twice. thinking back... i think it was at the same time as my alk swinging up.

I wonder if that much NoPox would piss the coral off enough for it to slow in alk up take?

Luckily, I haven't experienced overdosing on Alk either but I can't imagine the outcome would be pretty.

I'd say the Alk creeping up would be more of a correlation to you missing the Mag dose. Mag is imperative to the stability of Alk and its absorption, I'd put it down to that.

• Like 1

Luckily, I haven't experienced overdosing on Alk either but I can't imagine the outcome would be pretty.

I'd say the Alk creeping up would be more of a correlation to you missing the Mag dose. Mag is imperative to the stability of Alk and its absorption, I'd put it down to that.

If mag was really low id agree, but it was only at 1290.

Day 4 post NoPox over dose.

• 10 Litre water change completed,
  • water is cloudy, not super cloudy but noticeable.
  • All Coral seems to be fine
  • Dosed Red Sea Reef energy A+B

Is the water actually cloudy or do you have a very fine film on the inside of the glass? When I dosed too much vinegar I found that I got a really fine film on the glass, scared the crap out of me until I realised. I'd also advise on keeping a bottle of Seachem Prime on hand as an emergency precaution. It detoxifies ammonia and can be used with corals in the tank, great to keep in your tool kit if you ever need it.

• Like 1

Morning of Day 5 post NoPoX over dose

• Woke up to the return pump sucking air and ATO running dry, turns out my filter sock that i changed a day ago was completely clogged and was over flowing out of the sump onto the floor (never had a sock clog once)
  • Clean floor
  • involuntary 10L water change at 6 am
  • Water is now super cloudy
  • Every thing is slimy
  • GFO has vanished.. guessing the NoPox destroyed it.

Great way to start the day/birthday, now i'm off to work... gah!!!

Cheers Teeny.

Some good news though, my Hanna Alk regents arrived today, ive been blind to what my alk has been for the last few days... cant wait to get home and find out what its like. Dear God i hope its no way to low/high.

• Like 1

Happy birthday dude, sorry to hear about the troubles this morning though. I have noticed that my filter socks have been getting clogged quicker now also, I wonder if it is something to do with the vinegar dosing.

• Like 1

Just to show how cloudy the water is

4ECD7923-3ABC-4F56-9467-371B51661AB0.jpg

Is the water actually cloudy or do you have a very fine film on the inside of the glass? When I dosed too much vinegar I found that I got a really fine film on the glass, scared the crap out of me until I realised. I'd also advise on keeping a bottle of Seachem Prime on hand as an emergency precaution. It detoxifies ammonia and can be used with corals in the tank, great to keep in your tool kit if you ever need it.

Cleaning the glass did help a little bit but yea the water is horrible.

Happy birthday dude, sorry to hear about the troubles this morning though. I have noticed that my filter socks have been getting clogged quicker now also, I wonder if it is something to do with the vinegar dosing.

Oh it total is the carbon dosing! the sock was clean, but super slimy with gunk and goo and over flowing out the top within 48 hours.

The tank is officially crashing :( Maybe ill do a massive water change tonight.

Did you check the salinity this morning? I would imagine it would be low after dumping the contents of your ATO chamber into the tank. I would imagine that you may have some die off due to this (evident in the water), I hope there is minimal impact on your livestock though. My tank looked similar after 36 hours without power. A water change and some prime later things bounced back quite well. I lost a few SPS pieces but the majority of them survived despite losing colour. Don't discount it just yet, corals, even SPS are more resilient than we give them credit for some times.

• Like 1

Did you check the salinity this morning? I would imagine it would be low after dumping the contents of your ATO chamber into the tank. I would imagine that you may have some die off due to this (evident in the water), I hope there is minimal impact on your livestock though. My tank looked similar after 36 hours without power. A water change and some prime later things bounced back quite well. I lost a few SPS pieces but the majority of them survived despite losing colour. Don't discount it just yet, corals, even SPS are more resilient than we give them credit for some times.

Lucky i had not filled the ATO up since i went away last week so there was only 1 or 2 litres in there. I have a new Seneye so ill chuck that in to monitor p04 when i get home. Im thinking 50% water change tonight, which is totally going to mess with my ALK as my salt is red sea coral plus which has super high alk levels. Although i expect my ALK will already be quiet high as i would think the SPS would stop consuming it while stressed out.

salinity is at 1.025 so its pretty good.

On a side note... i did notice that my GFO was completely gone this morning, im guessing the NoPox destroyed it.

Happy Birthday.

With a carbon overdose the biggest worry is lack of oxygen. If you have a skimmer have it skim wet. If you don't throw in an airstone or something to keep the water aerated.

^this!

Since the whole point of carbon dosing is to encourage bacteria to grow, overdosing carbon causes a bacterial bloom. They suck up all the oxygen. That may be partly why your tank is cloudy.

• Like 3

On a side note... i did notice that my GFO was completely gone this morning, im guessing the NoPox destroyed it.

That is odd, haven't experienced this myself before.

I'm no expert in the theory of carbon dosing but I believe Kat and teeny are right. Would explain why the filter sock got clogged also.

• Like 1

^this!

Since the whole point of carbon dosing is to encourage bacteria to grow, overdosing carbon causes a bacterial bloom. They suck up all the oxygen. That may be partly why your tank is cloudy.

Skimmers would help with aeration shouldn't they?

Happy Birthday.

With a carbon overdose the biggest worry is lack of oxygen. If you have a skimmer have it skim wet. If you don't throw in an airstone or something to keep the water aerated.

Yea i have a wet skim going currently, i didnt dear put another filter sock in just incase it over flows again.

ill put an airstone in when i get home. I also have a fair bit of surface agitation.

• Like 2

This does sound like lack of oxygen. It reminds me of when I had issues running a small frag tank in my garage with a canister filter. I wasnt getting enough oxygen and the water developed a nasty film. I remember the water being cloudy like that as well. I also had a good amount of surface movement but with a good surface film, it didnt matter.

I ended up fixing it with an aerator inside a hang on filter. It did a good job of turning over and aerating the water column.

Have you checked you ph? If its low thats another sign of oxygen being an issue.

• Like 4

That's great advice! To answer the question about whether the skimmer helps with oxygenation, any bubbles are good. But I think (I could be wrong) that aeration in the display helps mostly because it gets the water gas exchange at the surface going and breaks up any surface film.

• Like 2