SaltCritters.com

Gulf's ever evolving nano party mix tape!

gulfsurfer101

gulfsurfer101

Love those clowns!!! I've been thinking about just picking up another snowflake, or a regular old clown to finish my pair. And get one quite a bit bigger than the one I've got!

Digging the new scape! And I still love that color on that big ole hammer that's on the sand bed!

That sucker is huge! I want to chop it up and trade it for more sps frags but my fiance will have have a conniption if I were to cut her favorite coral! I cut my frogspawn and sold half it for beer money at my local pizza joint lol! I didn't tell her and she has no clue that I did so this was test run before I chop that one up lol!
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gulfsurfer101

I'm not too sure if the pistol shrimp was such a great idea! I have sand all over my zoas and around all my rockwork and I'm worried about rock collapsing into coral. Luckily most of the bigger rocks on the sand are nice and stable!

I was curious about a pistol shrimp in a smaller tank....I don't have very much it could mess up, so I thought about getting a goby and shrimp early since it couldn't mess with anything. I'm sure once he gets settled your Zoas will be sand free!! :P

gulfsurfer101

I ended up moving them to a corner and putting my flowerpot frag where the big disk of zoas were. I'll see how things look tomorrow and adjust as needed. They are definitely digging those two! I think they're planning a jail break lol!

gulfsurfer101

Decided to drive into town and and get some 1/4" abs to work on my overflow for my 75g. I'm thinking a coast to coast side wall about an inch and half thick!

gulfsurfer101

That's really thick, why not just brace it with a grid on the back and add room for pods and stuff?

I going to be running a fuge in my sump for all that. The overflow box in my tank will only be 1.5 inches wide by 6 inches tall. Not very much room in there for pods especially when I plan on running 1200+gph through it. Coast to coast just means it's going to run from one side of tbe glass to to other on the side of the tank across the top. I don't want some nasty bulky box taking up room in the tank.
gulfsurfer101

Oh, lol. For some reason I read that as if you were going to build up the wall to a thickness of 1.5"

Yes if you can imagine a slim overflow box sitting high on the side wall like a peninsula tank but only taking up the first six inches of the tank up top. I'll drill through the tank and into the bulkhead box I made.

davidanthony921

Hey man, love the thread. Btw you were looking for an ID on a polyp a few pages back. I'm almost positive it's an everlasting gobstopper. I just picked up one myself. Crazy pink glow with a neon green mouth?

Anyway after your recommendation and checking out your thread I' I'm almost positive I'm going to go full DIY. But i do have a few questions.

1. what do you use to bond the acrylic to the glass with?

2. Where do you buy your thick glass and acrylic from? Do they ship? How are their prices?

3. When joining glass or acrylic to glass do you inject the silicone into the gap or just put the pieces together and silicone the seams?

4. What do you use to cut the skimmer slots with? diamond coated router bits?

5. What are your baffle heights for your sump?

Sorry about all the questions but i really want to make this work. I'm pretty handy and do most things DIY but i just don't have much experience with this as all of my tanks have been AIO or hang on the back systems.

THANKS

gulfsurfer101

Hey man, love the thread. Btw you were looking for an ID on a polyp a few pages back. I'm almost positive it's an everlasting gobstopper. I just picked up one myself. Crazy pink glow with a neon green mouth?

Anyway after your recommendation and checking out your thread I' I'm almost positive I'm going to go full DIY. But i do have a few questions.

1. what do you use to bond the acrylic to the glass with?

2. Where do you buy your thick glass and acrylic from? Do they ship? How are their prices?

3. When joining glass or acrylic to glass do you inject the silicone into the gap or just put the pieces together and silicone the seams?

4. What do you use to cut the skimmer slots with? diamond coated router bits?

5. What are your baffle heights for your sump?

Sorry about all the questions but i really want to make this work. I'm pretty handy and do most things DIY but i just don't have much experience with this as all of my tanks have been AIO or hang on the back systems.

THANKS

1. Rtv silicone 103 or 108 if I want black. Ge 100% silicone I without mold inhibitors will work just as good for small jobs though.

2. I buy my acrylic local and the b old guy doesn't ship as far as I know. Check your local plastic shops and ask to dig through their scrap pile for bargain finds.

3. I mark everywhere the acrylic will make contact the glass with a dry erase marker and lay a bead down for the areas I won't be able to get to then apply my false wall in place then place a small amount weight on it. Once it sets an hour or so later I'll lay a bead where the wall sits in the tank. I usually leave an 1/8" gap on both sides to fill in with silicone.

4. I use a fine finish carbide tip 7" blade on a circular saw. I usually clamp the acrlic to a 2x4 and cut the teeth into the acrylic with the wood clamped on behind it. This keeps teeth from chipping or breaking off.

5. I honestly don't remember. I think they're all 8-9 inches. The last baffle is grooved with teeth to prevent surface scum buildup in that compartment!

davidanthony921

1. Rtv silicone 103 or 108 if I want black. Ge 100% silicone I without mold inhibitors will work just as good for small jobs though.

2. I buy my acrylic local and the b old guy doesn't ship as far as I know. Check your local plastic shops and ask to dig through their scrap pile for bargain finds.

3. I mark everywhere the acrylic will make contact the glass with a dry erase marker and lay a bead down for the areas I won't be able to get to then apply my false wall in place then place a small amount weight on it. Once it sets an hour or so later I'll lay a bead where the wall sits in the tank. I usually leave an 1/8" gap on both sides to fill in with silicone.

4. I use a fine finish carbide tip 7" blade on a circular saw. I usually clamp the acrlic to a 2x4 and cut the teeth into the acrylic with the wood clamped on behind it. This keeps teeth from chipping or breaking off.

5. I honestly don't remember. I think they're all 8-9 inches. The last baffle is grooved with teeth to prevent surface scum buildup in that compartment!

Thanks alot for your time and response. I think it's a go.

gulfsurfer101

Thanks alot for your time and response. I think it's a go.

Do it man! I can't wait to get my 75g back up. This tank was only supposed to be a temporary tank till I was ready to set it back up. Been longer than I thought it would be though!
davidanthony921

Do it man! I can't wait to get my 75g back up. This tank was only supposed to be a temporary tank till I was ready to set it back up. Been longer than I thought it would be though!

Definitely.. I'm patiently awaiting your 75 build man. Fire it up already. How are you going to light your 75?

gulfsurfer101

Definitely.. I'm patiently awaiting your 75 build man. Fire it up already. How are you going to light your 75?

I'm building a canopy to hold my retrofit 4bulb reflector along with two more bulbs and an led stunner strip I built myself. I'm trying to get the walls taped and floated this week so we can paint next weekend. Then I'll be ready to get salty!
gulfsurfer101

Cali tort!

20160309_105047_zpsqdwm5lud.jpg

Another unknown! Wd possibly lololol!

20160309_105026_zpsglcrn0us.jpg

Golden milli!

20160309_105040_zpsncax9c0i.jpg

What the frag is going on here!

20160309_104954_zpsylq1wyhd.jpg

The you feel yeah garden has been relocated!

20160309_105321_zps6kjov5xz.jpg

The holy grail!

20160309_105332_zpsgndjp87w.jpg

gulfsurfer101

Things are getting crazy for me right now. We got a due date for the 21st which is more than two and a half weeks earlier than our initial due date. I'm hoping to get the walls painted by the end of next week followed shortly after by getting my 75g filled in our nursery! Everything is happening way to fast! I've been coasting till now. Now I need to turn up and get sh#t done!

gulfsurfer101

Came home to find a shrimp tail on my sand bed! I was worried my ywg had eaten my pistol! Turns out it was the peppermint shrimp I was looking to remove. Looks like something removed him. I'll wonder what could've eaten my shrimp though!

Loving those last pics! And shoot yeah you better get going!!! Haha....glad to hear the shrimp got taken care of, even if it happened mysteriously! Jealous of that torch!

gulfsurfer101

Loving those last pics! And shoot yeah you better get going!!! Haha....glad to hear the shrimp got taken care of, even if it happened mysteriously! Jealous of that torch!

It's definitely my favorite! I have four different ones but that one is the brightest. I can't wait to see it under t5's!

Wow, it's looking great! Good luck with the baby preps :)

Thanks man! I'm finishing up the taping and floating this weekend hopefully. As soon as the paint dries on the walls I'll be filling her up lol!

O boy, you are getting to the fun stuff now. I will be anxious to see it once its wet.

Hey, congrats and best wishes for the new baby coming!

gulfsurfer101

O boy, you are getting to the fun stuff now. I will be anxious to see it once its wet.

Hey, congrats and best wishes for the new baby coming!

Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't call it fun lol! My wifey wanted sheetrock. If we went with paneling like I wanted I'd be done already lol! I could be looking at my tank cycle by now!
gulfsurfer101

Lil buddy Boogaloo was out this morning pushing rocks and dirt up out his hole! Him and grumpy fish seem to have hit it off right from the drop!

20160316_132035_zps6dnpjvay.jpg

20160316_132045_zpsvle6v87l.jpg

Archived