Top Shelf Aquatics

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

Holy cow! I'm glad you're okay, I never unplug stuff when I check it out either. must be a teenager thing :lol: I hope you reef recovers! I swear that sucker just does not want to cooperate! As for groundbreaking/tank saving info, I don't have anything new. Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job taking care of the situation! Keep up the good work gal, maybe sit down and have a warm cup of maple syrup or something... that's what canadians do right? right?;)

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
7 minutes ago, schgr.cube said:

Oh jeez, I'm so sorry to hear about this, I hope everything recovers well. I can't give specific advice on the tank itself, but I do want you to pay attention to yourself as well. Even mild electrocution can have long lasting issues, so I would highly recommend looking up information online and be watchful if anything seems off. Not trying to worry you too much, but your health and safety should always be #1. 

Good luck with everything!

Thank you.  I'll do some reading about it.  It was a pretty mild shock, not like an immediate burst of pain, but more like an aching hum in my hand which then turned to pain.  That's when I put the pump back own and went to unplug it.  I'm happy to report that the aching has stopped.

4 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

It could go either way, you'll be able to tell a lot overnight. 

I can't believe that cord!!!!

And if it were me I'd totally get Reef Crystals. 

Why do I feel like I'm not gonna be sleeping well tonight?  I'll probably end up coming out to look at the tank with a  flashlight a million times.  Tank wise, I'm deeming this the summer from hell.  I'm going away Thursday until Saturday, and I'm ####ing terrified.  Especially because I don't know what I'll be dealing with at that point.

I have no idea how the cord got wrecked so bad so quickly!  I'm not sure what pump to buy, I have to do some reading.  I guess I'll pick up Reef Crystals then so that I can do regular sized water changes if/when needed :).

I just thought to add some prime to the tank in case of any ammonia from the die off.  I also think I'm going to put an air stone in the rear chambers of my tank to keep things moving back there.

• Like 1

Oh no! That cord is unbelievable, but I'm so glad you're OK, that's the most important thing.

Since you're alk is not as high as fresh RSCP or Reef Crystals, you might consider using Instant Ocean. It mixes with lower alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium, but you have everything on hand to dose now. RSCP and Reef Crystals are made for people that don't dose, and have higher levels that your target so that it replenishes those levels when you do a water change. 

@Weetabix7 had great advice, if you can remove the corals that look the worst, you'll improve the chances of saving the rest.

You've had such a run of bad luck lately! Stay strong and power through it. We're all pulling for you :grouphug:

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
2 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

Holy cow! I'm glad you're okay, I never unplug stuff when I check it out either. must be a teenager thing :lol: I hope you reef recovers! I swear that sucker just does not want to cooperate! As for groundbreaking/tank saving info, I don't have anything new. Sounds like you're doing a fantastic job taking care of the situation! Keep up the good work gal, maybe sit down and have a warm cup of maple syrup or something... that's what canadians do right? right?;)

It must be! I figured it would be easier to tell if it was just stuck or totally dead if I poked the impeller while it was plugged in.  If it started spinning, then it worked, if not, it would be dead.  This really has been a string of unfortunate events!   And thanks, I feel like I should be doing something more, anything more, but I can't think of anything. :lol: No hot maple syrup for me, but I do have some maple flavored marshmallows!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Oh no! That cord is unbelievable, but I'm so glad you're OK, that's the most important thing.

Since you're alk is not as high as fresh RSCP or Reef Crystals, you might consider using Instant Ocean. It mixes with lower alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium, but you have everything on hand to dose now. RSCP and Reef Crystals are made for people that don't dose, and have higher levels that your target so that it replenishes those levels when you do a water change. 

@Weetabix7 had great advice, if you can remove the corals that look the worst, you'll improve the chances of saving the rest.

You've had such a run of bad luck lately! Stay strong and power through it. We're all pulling for you :grouphug:

Thanks, I think the whole thing freaked my mom out more than me.  She was immediately like "do you need to go to the emergency room?!"  I didn't even stop for a second, I just started running around grabbing anything and everything that could help the tank.

Perhaps I could use IO supplemented with small RSCP water changes to keep levels up?  I actually don't have a calcium supplement, and I have zero confidence in dosing Reef Builder.

I still need to check if I have a heater for a coral container. Oh, better idea!  What if I float a Tupperware in the tank with the corals in it and an air stone!  Then it'll stay the same temperature as the tank.

I really appreciate all of your guys and gals' support and advice :flower:.  I'm sure that without it, I would have lost a lot more livestock through recent events, become discouraged and given up.  I mean, I'm still feeling kind of burnt out on the hobby right now, but I'm stubborn so I refuse to give up, and even though things suck right now and it's a major source of stress and unhappiness, I will have a happy, healthy reef again, dammit! :lol:  And in the mean time, while my tank is (I assume) an eyesore, I can look at all your guys and gals' tanks and be totally jelly :)

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

In the Tupperware are 5 of my blastos, the hammer frags, and the splatter hammer.  Frank is receding, the big toadstool looks about ready to kick the bucket, and my once big and beautiful Japanese leather is shriveled and limp :tears:

1 minute ago, gogeta said:

that's so unlucky! Glad to hear your ok though!

• Sad 2
fishfreak0114

Quick update:

Frank is receding, splatter hammer is receding.  Leathers look as bad as ever.  Not sure about the RFA.  It's really tightly closed, and either starting to open, or starting to die.  I can't tell because the shrimp is sitting on it.  Watermelon favia not looking so hot.

A couple zoas are peeking out.  It was suggested in the other thread I started to put the fish in a separate tank.  Should I?  If it's because of pollution from coral loss, wouldn't the shrimp, crabs, snails, etc be more affected?

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks, I think the whole thing freaked my mom out more than me.  She was immediately like "do you need to go to the emergency room?!"  I didn't even stop for a second, I just started running around grabbing anything and everything that could help the tank.

Perhaps I could use IO supplemented with small RSCP water changes to keep levels up?  I actually don't have a calcium supplement, and I have zero confidence in dosing Reef Builder.

I still need to check if I have a heater for a coral container. Oh, better idea!  What if I float a Tupperware in the tank with the corals in it and an air stone!  Then it'll stay the same temperature as the tank.

I really appreciate all of your guys and gals' support and advice :flower:.  I'm sure that without it, I would have lost a lot more livestock through recent events, become discouraged and given up.  I mean, I'm still feeling kind of burnt out on the hobby right now, but I'm stubborn so I refuse to give up, and even though things suck right now and it's a major source of stress and unhappiness, I will have a happy, healthy reef again, dammit! :lol:  And in the mean time, while my tank is (I assume) an eyesore, I can look at all your guys and gals' tanks and be totally jelly :)

moms *rolls eyes* lol here's some get well soon flowers fishy:flower:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
4 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

moms *rolls eyes* lol here's some get well soon flowers fishy:flower:

No good news unfortunately.  More of my blastos are receding, the dendro looks like it has a couple spots of tissue loss, and my big toadstool is in REALLY bad shape.  With all the die off I'm afraid to go to sleep.  I might set a couple alarms to get up and check.  That way if something is a goner I can get it out quick.  I'm really worried about the health of my fish and inverts with all the die off.

• Sad 1
fishfreak0114
48 minutes ago, Madcat said:

I'm so sorry! Man, when it rains it pours, huh? :( Keep us posted!

That it does.  I've just gotta remember that it's followed by a rainbow :) 

13 minutes ago, I'm Batman said:

What make and model return pump?

It was the stock pump, so I guess this:

http://www.marineandreef.com/Coralife_Size_29_Size_32_BioCube_Pump_p/res03160.htm

I think I'll likely be getting a Sicce pump.  Not sure what size, but it's the only thing I could find nearby (1.5hrs).  Sucks because I don't actually have $80+ dollars to drop on a pump at the moment, so it'll be going on my tab.  Why do I feel like September's paycheck will be spent completely before I get it?

I'm so sorry.

I'm glad that nothing serious happened to you. 

Your health is the number 1 concern.

The corals may not look good now but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't recover. It may just take time.

• Like 2
fishfreak0114

Quick update:

Coral removed: baby plates (were mostly dead), neon trumpet (mostly dead), watermelon favia frag (mostly dead)

I have two tupperwares hanging in the tank with clothes pins.  Both have an air pump bubbling away (no air stone) and a piece of pantyhose with carbon.  In them are the things that are A) dying the most or B] sliming and maybe dying.  I had to be selective about what went in because I only have four air pumps).  All my blastos look bad, but I left the less-bad ones in the main tank so that they aren't subjected to the added stress of dying stuff pollution in the tupperware

Tupperware 1: 5 blastos (looking mostly dead), 3 hammers (receding, expect dead by morning), and the watermelon favia (not looking horrible, some skeleton, lot of slime)

Tupperware 2: Finger leather and its frags, Japanese leather, big toadstool.  They all look really rough, and they're sliming so much I didn't want that polluting the tank.  They're also (mostly) large pieces so if they die they'll make a real mess which I didn't want in the main tank

So the tank has two tupperwares hanging off, each with an air pump and carbon, there's an airstone in the tank, and one in chamber 3.  The heater is in the main tank. The aquaclear has floss, a ton of carbon, and a ton of purigen (I just added more).   I have a blue recycling bag covering the tank, clothes-pinned in place so it doesn't touch the water.

I'm not too worried about my fish dying in the night from pollution now that I've isolated the most likely to die and pollute corals.  Thank you for the idea @Weetabix7!  I have alarms set for 1:30 and 4:00 so I can check up on things and remove things that have died (hopefully that's not necessary!).  I should probably go to bed soon, but good luck sleeping!  I'm still honestly in shock (no pun intended) about this whole thing.  I'm sure it'll set in tomorrow and I'll have a massive meltdown, but for now I'm laser focused on giving everything the best chances for survival).

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
Just now, Clown79 said:

I'm so sorry.

I'm glad that nothing serious happened to you. 

Your health is the number 1 concern.

The corals may not look good now but that doesn't necessarily mean they won't recover. It may just take time.

Thanks, I think I got really lucky.  When I was holding the pump my hand was literally inches from the exposed wires!  Although it hurt, it could have been way worse.

I really hope things can bounce back from this.  In the mean time, I shall do everything in my power to provide the best conditions for their recovery :)

• Like 1

You've got a great plan! I can't think of anything else to do and with all the effort you're making I really hope everything pulls through. :flower:

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Here's a real quick pic of what's going on up top.  No, the tank is not orange.  The flash did weird things to the colors.

36705678265_70265682ce_k.jpgP8200702 by orb1915, on Flickr

1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

You've got a great plan! I can't think of anything else to do and with all the effort you're making I really hope everything pulls through. :flower:

Thank you :)

• Like 3
fishfreak0114

I forgot to add that my big stomatella is confirmed alive, as is Steve the serpent star!  And I just saw a little flash of green, so Jim is alright :)

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

Final update before I actually start to relax and go to bed.

The green Duncan's skin appears to be, well, I can't describe it well.  Developing white lines as it separates?  That's definitely not it, but I can't describe it any better.  Frank's tissue is falling apart someone around the base of the heads.  Watermelon favia has increasing amounts of skeleton showing.  I think I might chuck it back in the main tank since it isn't a very fleshy coral.

Not sure if there'll be a 1AM update.  I guess it depends how it's going and if I feel like sitting down to type when a warm bed awaits.

• Sad 1
Just now, fishfreak0114 said:

Thanks :) at this point I'm hoping for 50% survival of coral. 

Worse case.....you can always cut up your leathers and they should make it.  

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, jack1978 said:

Worse case.....you can always cut up your leathers and they should make it.  

Really?  How would cutting them up help their recovery?