Pod Your Reef

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

I was sorry to read about the tank troubles but it seems you have taken the right steps to get things back on track.  I have no doubt that your tank is going to be restored to its former glory.  Actually it does not look bad now.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 hour ago, vlangel said:

I was sorry to read about the tank troubles but it seems you have taken the right steps to get things back on track.  I have no doubt that your tank is going to be restored to its former glory.  Actually it does not look bad now.

Thanks :) I agree that it's looking better than it was, but the few ailing corals really stick out to me.  I can't wait until everything is resolved (whether that's recovery, rehoming, or [hopefully not] death).  I'm hoping that the tank is back to it's low maintenance, low stress self by the time school starts. 

I forgot to mention that I did a 1l water change this afternoon.  Easiest water change ever!  I could totally handle regular small water changes to keep alk up.

• Like 4
fishfreak0114

Update time!

Bad: The four blastos are still struggling/receding.  I've continued to baste them with food.  I haven't seen Zeus or the ghost anemone shrimp in quite a while :(

Good:  The hammer frags are doing well, as are my finger leather and GSP frags.  I hope to get rid of them next Wednesday along with a couple other things.  The dendro continues to heal.  The softies, macro, most LPS, and zoas are happy.  Someone came by and took 5 of the plates yesterday (I suspect the remainders will be skeletons when I return home on Sunday).  The plates attached to the original plate's skeleton are still healthy.  I did a 2l water change today.  The white spot anemone is cool, and hanging out on the green Duncan at the moment :)

That's all for now!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Sorry about the blastos and Zeus and shrimpie. :(

Thanks.  I'm hoping Zeus and the ghost are just hiding really well.  But I'm not optimistic.

• Sad 1
fishfreak0114

I was looking on Weetie's MacGyver Slinky Dream tank, and there was a picture with codium in it.  I thought it looked somewhat like a macro I got way back when I bought my clowns, so I googled pics of codium.  They're all a brighter green than mine, except this one from yourreef.com

Codium (their picture)

That's pretty much identical to mine.  I wonder if mine is codium then? I'll keep reading.

1 hour ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I was looking on Weetie's MacGyver Slinky Dream tank, and there was a picture with codium in it.  I thought it looked somewhat like a macro I got way back when I bought my clowns, so I googled pics of codium.  They're all a brighter green than mine, except this one from yourreef.com

Codium (their picture)

That's pretty much identical to mine.  I wonder if mine is codium then? I'll keep reading.

If yours looks like that pic, it's Codium. 

It has a slightly spongey texture to it. 

I'm glad for all the improvements you're seeing and hope the Blastos improve. 

Mine always really liked low light, I don't know how strong the light is that you have them under now. 

31 minutes ago, HIppieRose said:

Now I want some of that in  my  tank.  Thanks for sharing.

I'll just have to work on growing some out for you!!

Wait, you're not in Canada like FF are you?

I need to just start a Macro business in Canada.....

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
6 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

If yours looks like that pic, it's Codium. 

It has a slightly spongey texture to it. 

I'm glad for all the improvements you're seeing and hope the Blastos improve. 

Mine always really liked low light, I don't know how strong the light is that you have them under now. 

I'll just have to work on growing some out for you!!

Wait, you're not in Canada like FF are you?

I need to just start a Macro business in Canada.....

I guess it's codium then! At last an ID!

The blastos are under, well, I'm not actually sure how strong my lighting is. But they were loving it back before the alk stuff. 

27 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

I guess it's codium then! At last an ID!

The blastos are under, well, I'm not actually sure how strong my lighting is. But they were loving it back before the alk stuff. 

Hmmm. 

In that case, sounds like you're already doing all the right stuff. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
43 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

Wow! its crazy how transparent that shrimp is! Nice pics!

It is pretty crazy! I'm glad the white spots are large or I would never find it lol.  And thanks :)

I was talking to my mom the other day about rescaping, and how I wish I had another tank to put the RFA into (because it is attached to the rock that would be removed) so that it wouldn't go on a crazy walk all over the place like when I bought it.  And her comment after hinted at me potentially having a second tank to put it into.  I hope that's a sign that I'll get approval for salty tank #2!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It is pretty crazy! I'm glad the white spots are large or I would never find it lol.  And thanks :)

I was talking to my mom the other day about rescaping, and how I wish I had another tank to put the RFA into (because it is attached to the rock that would be removed) so that it wouldn't go on a crazy walk all over the place like when I bought it.  And her comment after hinted at me potentially having a second tank to put it into.  I hope that's a sign that I'll get approval for salty tank #2!

yeeeeaaaahhh! more tanks! more tanks! more tanks!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

Just posted this in a topic in General Discussion

•  

I just walked in the door from a night away to my worst nightmare.  Everything in the tank is mad and closed.  I noticed that my return pump was not working, despite being plugged in.  I assumed it was jammed, but pulled it up to check.  There was an electrical hum near the cord, and I was somewhat electrocuted.  I'm fine, and the muscles in my hand have stopped twitching (still hurts though), but my tank is most certainly not.  I have no idea how long it was being electrocuted, but I assume not overly long because most things are alive.  I expect the impacts of this will be worse than on a healthy stable tank because I recently had those alk spikes that some of you may remember, and a week or two later I went away and the tank sitter closed the maintenance door and the temperature went up to 85 so things were still just recovering from that. What do I do from here?

My fish are pretty much all accounted for, and the crabs and shrimp are fine.  The snails are not doing great (all fell to the sand), but I have them in a separate container (Thought they were dead) and they are starting to move again, thank god.  Seeing as I have no return pump, I hooked up an AC30 or something around there with my purigen, a shit ton of carbon (I have a lot of leathers), and some floss.  I also have two air stones running, and the powerhead is going like normal.  I moved the heater to the main part of the tank.  I already see some very very bad looking corals (Like tissue gone/going), but most are just more pissed than I've ever seen in my life.  The only salt I have on hand is messed up RSCP that mixes to >15dkh, so a large water change isn't an option. 

A further examination of the return revealed the cord is totally corroded.  WTF!  It was fine last week!  I'll get pics of that and the tank up later, but first I need a hot shower because I am really freaking out right now and that'll calm me down somewhat.

Advice greatly appreciated!  Thanks everyone :)

• Sad 2
23 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Just posted this in a topic in General Discussion

•  

I just walked in the door from a night away to my worst nightmare.  Everything in the tank is mad and closed.  I noticed that my return pump was not working, despite being plugged in.  I assumed it was jammed, but pulled it up to check.  There was an electrical hum near the cord, and I was somewhat electrocuted.  I'm fine, and the muscles in my hand have stopped twitching (still hurts though), but my tank is most certainly not.  I have no idea how long it was being electrocuted, but I assume not overly long because most things are alive.  I expect the impacts of this will be worse than on a healthy stable tank because I recently had those alk spikes that some of you may remember, and a week or two later I went away and the tank sitter closed the maintenance door and the temperature went up to 85 so things were still just recovering from that. What do I do from here?

My fish are pretty much all accounted for, and the crabs and shrimp are fine.  The snails are not doing great (all fell to the sand), but I have them in a separate container (Thought they were dead) and they are starting to move again, thank god.  Seeing as I have no return pump, I hooked up an AC30 or something around there with my purigen, a shit ton of carbon (I have a lot of leathers), and some floss.  I also have two air stones running, and the powerhead is going like normal.  I moved the heater to the main part of the tank.  I already see some very very bad looking corals (Like tissue gone/going), but most are just more pissed than I've ever seen in my life.  The only salt I have on hand is messed up RSCP that mixes to >15dkh, so a large water change isn't an option. 

A further examination of the return revealed the cord is totally corroded.  WTF!  It was fine last week!  I'll get pics of that and the tank up later, but first I need a hot shower because I am really freaking out right now and that'll calm me down somewhat.

Advice greatly appreciated!  Thanks everyone :)

Goshdangit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh. 

Your immediate response were the right responses. 

As soon as you are able to get a different salt, do a WC. 

Only other thought I have is to maybe get a container of around 1-3 gallons, remove some tank water and put it in there with basic circulation and put the corals that you think look like they are losing tissue in there, so that if they die they don't pollute the tank, but they still have a chance to recover. 

So sorry, hope you know we're all rooting for you. :grouphug:

• Like 3
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

Goshdangit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh. 

Your immediate response were the right responses. 

As soon as you are able to get a different salt, do a WC. 

Only other thought I have is to maybe get a container of around 1-3 gallons, remove some tank water and put it in there with basic circulation and put the corals that you think look like they are losing tissue in there, so that if they die they don't pollute the tank, but they still have a chance to recover. 

So sorry, hope you know we're all rooting for you. :grouphug:

I'm just glad I wasn't electrocuted worse.  I only felt it in my left hand which I was holding the pump in (dumbass me didn't think to unplug it before lifting it out of the tank to unclog the impeller).

I assume I'm going to be making a trip to another city tomorrow for a new return pump.  Not sure what one I'll get.  I can get salt at the same time.  Should I get RSCP or Reef Crystals?  It sucks because I'm going to be going to one of the cities where I could get that stuff on Wednesday for the dentist, but I assume the tank can't wait until then?

As for the corals losing tissue, there aren't many (thankfully), mostly just the struggling blastos.  I don't know if I have a heater for a small container, but that's a good idea.  I'm also going to remove anything I can tell won't recover (ahem, the plates that were mostly dead before this).

Oh jeez, I'm so sorry to hear about this, I hope everything recovers well. I can't give specific advice on the tank itself, but I do want you to pay attention to yourself as well. Even mild electric shock* can have long lasting issues, so I would highly recommend looking up information online and be watchful if anything seems off. Not trying to worry you too much, but your health and safety should always be #1. 

Good luck with everything!

Edited by schgr.cube
Wrong term.
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Here's the cord

35867822074_21a5ff8e58_k.jpgP8200700 by orb1915, on Flickr

The tank

36307464170_307e79a161_k.jpgP8200697 by orb1915, on Flickr

35867822874_5d6f03e276_k.jpgP8200696 by orb1915, on Flickr

Should I be expecting corals to die/disintegrate over the coming days?  Or will they just open back up after a while?

It could go either way, you'll be able to tell a lot overnight. 

I can't believe that cord!!!!

And if it were me I'd totally get Reef Crystals. 

• Like 1