inTank Media Baskets

Fishfreak's foxy BC29: Brine Shrimp!

fishfreak0114

awesome fishfreak! one question, what are those green bubbly things growing around the zoas? i thought that they were bubble algae at first but then i got a closer look at them and now im skeptical...

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
12 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

awesome fishfreak! one question, what are those green bubbly things growing around the zoas? i thought that they were bubble algae at first but then i got a closer look at them and now im skeptical...

Thanks! :) It's grape caulerpa.  It grows so fast, I have to prune it every week or two.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
52 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Great photo dump! Looks like everything made it through the temperature spike?

Thanks!  Yep, everything but the baby plates seem alright.  One of the watermelon favia frags was a bit damaged too.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Thanks for the compliment. Fragging was a cinch. Stems break off pretty easily.  But just be careful that you don't break off more than you want to. When it starts getting too big, it seems to get too heavy for itself and starts breaking.

Happy 2.5 birthday, FF tanky, so many beautiful things!!!

Love the GCG, the marking on the Misbar Clown, the happy Dendro and the happy and improving Blastos!!

Very happy that you are seeing improvements. :)

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
3 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Happy 2.5 birthday, FF tanky, so many beautiful things!!!

Love the GCG, the marking on the Misbar Clown, the happy Dendro and the happy and improving Blastos!!

Very happy that you are seeing improvements. :)

Thanks Weetie :) I'm very happy also that everything is starting to get back to normal!

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I still haven't seen Bert.  I'm thinking he is no longer with us.  Haven't seen Wayne either, but I don't really expect to.  I hear Garth clicking away in there, so I know he's alright.  And Ernie has decided that his favorite place to hang out is right next to the overflow openings.  No wonder he ended up back there!

I guess I know the sex of my peacock cichlids now!  I always assumed I had two males despite one not having an elongated dorsal fin because they don't harass each other.  But yesterday I noticed that Marble-y wasn't eating, and upon closer inspection she's holding!  How exciting!  I know cross breeding of peacocks is generally frowned upon, but I might keep one or two (if I can catch them) for myself.  I definitely won't raise any to rehome though.  I might be buying some more cichlids today, we're on our way to a fish store a couple hours away.  The owner loves cichlids, so there should be a decent selection!

Mama

36485419095_2c7e037ba8_k.jpgP8090627 by orb1915, on Flickr

Dad

36485420765_8d098b52f3_k.jpgP8090625 by orb1915, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
fishfreak0114

Today my coral dip ran out.  This stuff worked really well for me for the last 2.5 years.  I don't think I'll be able to find it again, but I do have Revive to start using

36325049372_221e6d5d5d_k.jpgP8100632 by orb1915, on Flickr

Today we visited a fairly small shop that had lots f cichlids and rainbows.  That didn't change from last year.  But what was new was a frag tank!  I wasn't planning on adding anything until I was sure that things were ok again, but softies don't seem to be affected by what's been going on.  I got these two small toadstools (same type).  They have really long polyps!

36493262835_0945384ff8_k.jpgP8100633 by orb1915, on Flickr

I also got this red macro which is really is really similar to one I have now, but a bit thinner and pointier and brighter red.

36493262635_06c4c223aa_k.jpgP8100636 by orb1915, on Flickr

I thought I'd note that this guy has grown a decent amount

36493262305_78d137af99_k.jpgP8100635 by orb1915, on Flickr

I put a rock at the base of the toadstool and I'm hoping that will help prop it up.  We'll see tomorrow I guess...

36325048842_b1a856c5bd_k.jpgP8100634 by orb1915, on Flickr

I'm thinking about rehoming some of my LPS.  I find that most of them just cause me undue stress, and I enjoy the movement of the softies way more.  I need to think a little more on it, but when I picture a tank minus all the struggling LPS and the couple that I just don't like very much, I feel happier and more relaxed.  I'll try to get up a pic of the new toadstools tomorrow as well as a quick FTS to show the where the algae is.

• Like 5
On 8/9/2017 at 7:57 PM, Pjanssen said:

Ha. I can't keep my hammer from growing. Every year I sell off a bunch of it and it just keeps growing. I'm due to frag some off again.IMG_3987.thumb.jpg.80c920d2a8777316abf1b2b6ab0a97a2.jpg

So dope!!!! ???

Do the frags fall off or is do you use a bandsaw?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

Today my coral dip ran out.  This stuff worked really well for me for the last 2.5 years.  I don't think I'll be able to find it again, but I do have Revive to start using

36325049372_221e6d5d5d_k.jpgP8100632 by orb1915, on Flickr

Today we visited a fairly small shop that had lots f cichlids and rainbows.  That didn't change from last year.  But what was new was a frag tank!  I wasn't planning on adding anything until I was sure that things were ok again, but softies don't seem to be affected by what's been going on.  I got these two small toadstools (same type).  They have really long polyps!

36493262835_0945384ff8_k.jpgP8100633 by orb1915, on Flickr

I also got this red macro which is really is really similar to one I have now, but a bit thinner and pointier and brighter red.

36493262635_06c4c223aa_k.jpgP8100636 by orb1915, on Flickr

I thought I'd note that this guy has grown a decent amount

36493262305_78d137af99_k.jpgP8100635 by orb1915, on Flickr

I put a rock at the base of the toadstool and I'm hoping that will help prop it up.  We'll see tomorrow I guess...

36325048842_b1a856c5bd_k.jpgP8100634 by orb1915, on Flickr

I'm thinking about rehoming some of my LPS.  I find that most of them just cause me undue stress, and I enjoy the movement of the softies way more.  I need to think a little more on it, but when I picture a tank minus all the struggling LPS and the couple that I just don't like very much, I feel happier and more relaxed.  I'll try to get up a pic of the new toadstools tomorrow as well as a quick FTS to show the where the algae is.

I would love to take some of the unwanted LPS but shipping out of canada to the states has got to be super expensive and you're not within driving distance :blush:

2 minutes ago, I'm Batman said:

So dope!!!! ???

O-H!

• Like 2
fishfreak0114
17 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

I would love to take some of the unwanted LPS but shipping out of canada to the states has got to be super expensive and you're not within driving distance :blush:

O-H!

Yah, it'd require permits too.  I'll probably just give it to someone in Kelowna or something.  It's only an hour and a half away.

I think the things I'm not liking/are dying are the acan, lobo (probably won't make it until I can go to Kelowna), the trumpets, and two of the favias.  Even though the blastos are giving me some grief, they're my favorites so I'll definitely be keeping those and hopefully they all do alright.  The two duncans, watermelon favia, and hammers haven't had any issues so they can stay :) Gotta keep the dendro too.  The corky finger has not reopened since the stinging incident, but it's not dying either.  Perhaps it would prefer a different tank. 

56 minutes ago, JoeMan02 said:

O-H!

Represent!! And you sure are in driving distance lol!! 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
18 minutes ago, jack1978 said:

Your tank is looking really nice!

Go for an all softie tank! 

Thanks!  I don't think I could get rid of every single LPS, but I definitely want to reduce their numbers.  Hopefully with less I won't have to dose! 

I really want a second tank for softies and macros, but it's not gonna be easy to convince my mom to let me set up a second tank, especially after the dosing debacle...

5 minutes ago, fishfreak0114 said:

It's not gonna be easy to convince my mom to let me set up a second tank,

Tell her you're starting a coral fragging business and you can make tons of money and a supplemental income from it and pay any additional electricity bill costs (which should only be about $3 a month lol) ?

• Like 2
8 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

So dope!!!! ???

I can generally just pry part of it away from the base with a table or utility  knife-definetly never had to use a band saw. 

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
11 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

Tell her you're starting a coral fragging business and you can make tons of money and a supplemental income from it and pay any additional electricity bill costs (which should only be about $3 a month lol) ?

I wish!  I think that idea would actually make her more reluctant because she doesn't like meeting all the "strangers" from the local reef facebook group.  I'll just hope that there's an EVO 5 under the Christmas tree :) Maybe I'll make an informative brochure with costs and stock lists and everything on it.  That's how I got approval for a gecko and a 26g fw planted lol.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114

I looked in the tank and the hammers were retracted.  Not a huge deal, lights hadn't been on that long.   But I went closer because they've still yet to open and their mesenterial filaments are all sticking out!  And the dendro's tissue jumped ship again.  WTF!?  I'm off to test all parameters that I can.  The really shitty thing is, I'm not even sure if I can do a water change because I've been busy this week and haven't stirred the salt.  Guess I'll be doing that this morning.

fishfreak0114

Alk: 6.7

Ca: 425

Mg: 1290

Temp: 81

Sg: 1.026

I'm at a loss as to why there are suddenly issues.  The parameters seem alright. 

The only thing I can think to do right now is change the carbon and purigen?  I switched them out not long ago though.

fishfreak0114

I mixed the bucket of salt really well, and although alk dropped compared to the last bucket, it's still too high to measure with the salifert kit.  So this is what I got:

Alk: >15dkh (took 1.2ml of solution to turn pink vs. 1.6ml before mixing the salt)

Ca: 500

Mg: 1500

I think I got a bad batch, so I'll be contacting Red Sea to see if they'll replace it or something.  I really hope they do because a bucket of that stuff costs me $100.

There's no change with the hammers.  On of my blastos also has mesenterial filaments out now :(

Oh no :(. Alk swings will definitely piss off your euphilia. 6.7 dKH is pretty low, especially with your calcium being up to 425, but you definitely don't want it to go up anywhere near 15dKH. maybe try micro water changes-1/2 gallon or less per day.

Can you show us some pictures?

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
3 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

Oh no :(. Alk swings will definitely piss off your euphilia. 6.7 dKH is pretty low, especially with your calcium being up to 425, but you definitely don't want it to go up anywhere near 15dKH. maybe try micro water changes-1/2 gallon or less per day.

Can you show us some pictures?

What I find weird is that nothing has changed since last night, other than adding the toadstools and macro.  I hope they'll be alright.  I'll get up a pic of the hammer in a minute.

I had my biggest loss of euphillia with a salinity swing. lost a torch, couple of duncan heads and a frogspawn. That's when decided to get an ATO. My reefing life changed dramatically after that. Still troubles for sure, but on a whole my parameters stay so much more stable.

• Like 1
fishfreak0114
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

I had my biggest loss of euphillia with a salinity swing. lost a torch, couple of duncan heads and a frogspawn. That's when decided to get an ATO. My reefing life changed dramatically after that. Still troubles for sure, but on a whole my parameters stay so much more stable.

My salinity stays pretty stable.  I top up manually daily.

In very sad news, I just went to change my floss and Ernie was laying dead on top :tears: I'm not enjoying this hobby right now.