Top Shelf Aquatics

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

Guess it's time to post here. Been following your build for the last few weeks, great job man! Looking great so far, you get the overflow trickle taken care of? I remember when I had it, i had to put a cap over the T, drill a hole and put some tubing in it (knock-off Megaflow design)

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steensj2004

Cool beans,

When I dump my collection cup, I clean the slime and gunk out of the collector neck and lid, keeps the skimmer running tits between bi monthly cleaning of the whole unit.

Nano box? What did you get, the duo, quad or hybrid?

Hybrid of course!

Guess it's time to post here. Been following your build for the last few weeks, great job man! Looking great so far, you get the overflow trickle taken care of? I remember when I had it, i had to put a cap over the T, drill a hole and put some tubing in it (knock-off Megaflow design)

Kinda got it fixed, some filter floss to keep water slowed down. Trickle comes from surface skimmer teeth and the water running off the little knobs for the adjustible plate, stupid design. Much better, don't notice the trickle much.

Thanks for the compliments!!

NorthGaHillbilly

Hybrid of course!

Kinda got it fixed, some filter floss to keep water slowed down. Trickle comes from surface skimmer teeth and the water running off the little knobs for the adjustible plate, stupid design. Much better, don't notice the trickle much.

Thanks for the compliments!!

ever raise the dorso?

Steensj2004

ever raise the dorso?

Not yet, planned to grab some more PVC on my next trip to the lowes or Home Depot.... Haven't been to either as I've been working so much. I need to grab some hinges too, going to hinge the doors( like you said in the beginning, lol, hush yo mouth!). I'll probably get there this week, I'll need line for the ATO and pump. I'm also not sure exactly what size the tubing is

NorthGaHillbilly

Not yet, planned to grab some more PVC on my next trip to the lowes or Home Depot.... Haven't been to either as I've been working so much. I need to grab some hinges too, going to hinge the doors( like you said in the beginning, lol, hush yo mouth!). I'll probably get there this week, I'll need line for the ATO and pump. I'm also not sure exactly what size the tubing is

I think that will solve your urinal sound, let you get rid of that floss.

:lol: Ive never been a big fan of the removable panel thing, I look at my sump alot more often than I want to deal with a big panel.

Steensj2004

I think that will solve your urinal sound, let you get rid of that floss.

:lol: Ive never been a big fan of the removable panel thing, I look at my sump alot more often than I want to deal with a big panel.

I've learnes I also frequent my sump to much for the full panel deal, lol.

Anyone know the size of the larger PVC in the overflow? It tapers down to 1" I believe, but the PVC is 1-1/4 or something close to that...

Spiderguardnano

Raised to 6 it's looking good

Did you get microbubbles coming out of the skimmer?

When it breaks in it should disappear right?

NorthGaHillbilly

I've learnes I also frequent my sump to much for the full panel deal, lol.

Anyone know the size of the larger PVC in the overflow? It tapers down to 1" I believe, but the PVC is 1-1/4 or something close to that...

its 1 1/4

Don't get me wrong, IM makes great tanks! But Ive had one, and the AIO drove me NUTS! Thats why I didn't get one and drill/convert it to have a sump. Whats the point? Why not just do a build with a normal tank, and have a sump? lol. There are some advantages to AIO, for example I am fighting humidity in my stand, I leave the doors off most days. I plan to open up the back this week. I am also putting a 120CFM fan inside the stand. I am worried about my electronics.

I think I solved my whole AIO vs traditional setup.... 75g (with sump built by one of the LFS that I like and trust (of course, the one hardest to get to!!!)) for the main, and then either an IM Fusion 20 or Fusion 40 over by my about to be new (it gets ordered in two days!) desk..... With the AIO being a "frag" tank (aka some aquascaping and fixed items, but a reasonable amount of room for frags). only problem is I'm already going "but for the same price I could build up a nice 40 breeder with sump" for the second tank - although, for argument's sake, I already did get spousal approval for the 75g + an AIO "frag tank".... Decisions, decisions.

Innovative Marine tanks are rather gorgeous, I fell in love with the SR60 something like a year and a half ago but the price was just too hard to stomach. Fusion series isn't anywhere near as bad for pricing, and I really do like the idea of the Fusion 40 (why not, same price as the 30)...

Steensj2004

Raised to 6 it's looking good

Did you get microbubbles coming out of the skimmer?

When it breaks in it should disappear right?

Meh, I get a few, not sure if they stopped or not as my Bubble trap stopped them from day one. So I've never had to worry about fixing them. Ill check when I get home tonight.

its 1 1/4

You dah MAN, thanks! I assumed it was, but couldnt be sure as it is intalled currently.

How did you break in your skimmer no cup for 24hrs?

Also how much is the red pipe opened?

Broke it in by opening the drain, and allowing it to skim very wet, and with the drain open it flowed right back into the sump. Mine started skimming well soon after I started with it. Mine was lightly used when I bought it, that may have helped some?

I cannot wait for this reactor, hopfull it helps utilize th carbon so I don't get this smell.

Steensj2004

GOODIES FROM UPS!! omgomgomg

04749646-48C9-4106-94E3-00C950E61E84_zps

Packed well, although the Sicce box was a little smooshed.....

27C9BDA4-5D95-4399-8091-647538B6D2FA_zps

Unpacking the ATO, A little confused as the protective bad was damaged....no damage to the box or item though, so no biggie....

FD671C95-87D2-48DA-BAF7-43E8115A3687_zps

3F322955-4C06-417E-B7CD-CD3B2C80F2BE_zps

Sicce Micra ( 90gph) pump for the ATO next to the reservoir...

E0F94F90-3142-40DE-B23A-86C5397631A9_zps

Picked up some Krylon Fusion black paint, plan to paint the blue ATO box tomorrow...get it set up . Fits well next to the stand. Now waiting on my light, reactor from a NR member( IM Midsized for 100 bones!).... need to get some vent holes in the stand as well. :naughtydance:

F2840236-BC1E-4996-9756-6DE025CCF971_zps

Also plan to grab some 1 1/4' PVC to raise the Durso to stop this damn trickle noise, suggestion from NGHB.

jedimasterben

Sigh.....

Nanobox delay, 2 more weeks.....ugh <_<

Dave received my Sunpower on October 27th. I don't want to hear complaining about an extra two weeks ;)

Steensj2004

very nice set up, looks great!

Thanks!!

Dave received my Sunpower on October 27th. I don't want to hear complaining about an extra two weeks ;)

Lol, mah bad..... Now I feel like a douche.

Steen can you please upload a new video of th skimmer running

th_4068DACE-D922-49B6-ACAB-7ED8EB15D298_ click to view the video, not sure exactly what you want to see though. Let me know if you want something different.

All looks good, man. Are you going to drop the Sicce in the reservoir and connect it to the threading inside? I went the other way, using a Aqualifter. Some airline attached to the murlock and should be good to go. Can't wait to see it painted.

Steensj2004

All looks good, man. Are you going to drop the Sicce in the reservoir and connect it to the threading inside? I went the other way, using a Aqualifter. Some airline attached to the murlock and should be good to go. Can't wait to see it painted.

Might do an aqua lifter attached to the front valve. Had planned to drop sicce inside, dunno. Hmmmmmm

Only problems I would forsee with the pump being inside is the cord out of the top, getting connection worked out and depending on height of pump, would have to fill ATO prematurely.

Steensj2004

Only problems I would forsee with the pump being inside is the cord out of the top, getting connection worked out and depending on height of pump, would have to fill ATO prematurely.

, right, but was concerned about distance, last time I tried a aqua lifter on my Nuvo 16 it barely trickled.....

Think it'll work ok, has about 2' to go and a raise of about 13"

Ah, thats true. Remember you bringing up that concern earlier. You should be able to find a female thread to fit on the valve inside and connect to pump. May need to keep it on its side, but for the lil that it'll be runnin should be all good. That pump shouldn't have any problem pushing that far. Could try notching the lid with a dremel so that the cord has an exit and lit still sits nice and purdy.

Steensj2004

Thinking about setting against side of stand, and passing a line through upper side of reservoir into tank...

Thinking about setting against side of stand, and passing a line through upper side of reservoir into tank...

And bypassing the drain already there? That could do, just some extra work (if drilling it). And obviously, you'd just have to make sure its lower than the sump so no syphon is created.

Steensj2004

And bypassing the drain already there? That could do, just some extra work (if drilling it). And obviously, you'd just have to make sure its lower than the sump so no syphon is created.

Wouldn't put the line in the sump water. That drain would be a PITA to hook up to my pump internally

Sitting upright I lose very little water usage

Nah, looks like it is a 1/4" fitting, should be able to go with a reducing bushing from BRS like this and then connect a barb to that and hose to pump..... Well, ok, I relent, a big PITA, but worth it.

Archived