SaltCritters.com

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wanted to calibrate my temp probe, as well as calibrate my Ph probe and get it installed. Problem was, my PH probe isn't supposed to be completely submerged according to the Apex manual..... I haz no prob holder. How to fix this? Looking at 30.00 probe holders, I couldn't bring myself to buy one( outside fish stuff, I'm cheap as hell, my buddies say I,"Sqeak when I walk"). Started looking around....

On a cold and grey Virginia morn,

a rack to hold my probe is born,

In the Ghettooooo....... Getthooo

546FCF8F-2F01-4949-B832-5F75C33EB389_zps

37B6868D-F7C4-400D-8EB5-0EC5CB6943F6_zps

Merica.....

57F626D5-6883-45C0-B23D-44C51A0354D7_zps

5944D2F3-9EEA-464D-993D-F9E5D7EF2999_zps

How exactly? Lol

Ghetto-licious! Way to channel your inner Elvis.

Ghetto-licious! Way to channel your inner Elvis.

Free vs. 30.00, I'd call that winning!

wow thats crazy

its working like a charm now?

Yeah, sure is. Crazy, huh?

Now Dave needs to send me mah light!!!!lol

Finally got my ATO Float switches working......gah, what a PITA. For those who are also having problems, here is a step by step.

1. Create a Virtual Outlet( VO), refer to Apex manual for this part, its easy. This will make (4) VO, designation will be A1, A2, etc in the menus

2. Modify (2) outlets. Name them what you want, in my case I named them Switch1x5_1 and Switch1x5_2. Select programming as,"Advanced."

3. Program outlet, select Switch1x5_1( or whatever you named your first outlet, in my case it was Switch1x5_1). Programing lines as follows:

Set OFF
If Switch 1 CLOSED Then ON

Next, select the Power-strip outlet you wish to use on your EB8 for your ATO pump( in my case it was the top right outlet)program lines as follows:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet Switch1x5_1 = ON Then ON ( FYI, notice we are now actually referencing the VO, in my case the Switch1x5_1, or in your case whatever you named your first VO)

Now plug in something( a light worked well in my case) and test the one float switch. If moving the switch down( closed) turns on the light, then pushing it back up(open) turns off the light, we are good!

Now, you ATO should work. In my case, I am using a BACKUP float in the even my primary switch sticks and my pump doesn't shut off. Easy to add this in, simply do the same thing with your other VO and add the extra line to you Physical outlet. So your Switch1x5_2 should look like this:

Set OFF
If Sw1 CLOSED Then ON

If Sw2 Open Then OFF

Now you should be able to raise switch #2 when switch 1 is closed( and the ato plug on the EB8 s active) and shut if off. If your pump was hooked up this would stop you pump in the event SW! was stuck in the closed poistion.

ATO Plans:

Been looking at my ATO options, considering this ATO tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Acrylic-Auto-Top-Off-Container-for-Aquarium-Reef-Tank-Chalice-/251842087849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa2f54ba9

With two of these pumps:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4587+21414&pcatid=21414

I figure (1) Centrifugal 160 for inside the Reservoir, and (1) Centrifugal 200 to use as a pump to transfer water from my Buckets to the reservoir, as I don't wanna pull it out every time I need to fill it up. Plan to set outside the tank on the right hand side.

NorthGaHillbilly

ATO Plans:

Been looking at my ATO options, considering this ATO tank:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Acrylic-Auto-Top-Off-Container-for-Aquarium-Reef-Tank-Chalice-/251842087849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa2f54ba9

With two of these pumps:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4587+21414&pcatid=21414

I figure (1) Centrifugal 160 for inside the Reservoir, and (1) Centrifugal 200 to use as a pump to transfer water from my Buckets to the reservoir, as I don't wanna pull it out every time I need to fill it up. Plan to set outside the tank on the right hand side.

You've been busy man, glad you got both the skimmer and the ATO worked out.

I can't say enough about how happy I am with the aqua lifter as a ATO pump. I'd like to say it didn't run dry, but it's a pretty regular thing, and it's nice to have a pump that won't be damaged, or worse case scenario burn up.

You've been busy man, glad you got both the skimmer and the ATO worked out.

I can't say enough about how happy I am with the aqua lifter as a ATO pump. I'd like to say it didn't run dry, but it's a pretty regular thing, and it's nice to have a pump that won't be damaged, or worse case scenario burn up.

Fair enough, worried about the distance a little with the auqa lifter. Last time I did an ATO the aqualifter didn't have the ass to pump the water, it just dripped out. The hose will be about 1' to the pump and another 1-22 feet to the sump...... I plan to install a 3rd switch to stop the pump as well, a ,"ATO reservoir" low switch....

NorthGaHillbilly

Fair enough, worried about the distance a little with the auqa lifter. Last time I did an ATO the aqualifter didn't have the ass to pump the water, it just dripped out. The hose will be about 1' to the pump and another 1-22 feet to the sump...... I plan to install a 3rd switch to stop the pump as well, a ,"ATO reservoir" low switch....

Got ya, The low water cut Off switch gets rid of thay problem. I should have known, as your whole build has been extremely thought out

Mine pulls from a 5 gal buckt, then moves ~2' horizontally to the sump, but not much head pressure at all, so I haven't seen it's lack of oomph as a problem.

Got ya, The low water cut Off switch gets rid of thay problem. I should have known, as your whole build has been extremely thought out

Mine pulls from a 5 gal buckt, then moves ~2' horizontally to the sump, but not much head pressure at all, so I haven't seen it's lack of oomph as a problem.

I suppose I wouldn't have much head pressure either, maybe I'll try another aqua lifter!

My biggest worry at this point is the electronics. People seem to think they will be very corroded..... Worried. Even if I put a fan in I wonder if I'll be ok...

NorthGaHillbilly

I suppose I wouldn't have much head pressure either, maybe I'll try another aqua lifter!

My biggest worry at this point is the electronics. People seem to think they will be very corroded..... Worried. Even if I put a fan in I wonder if I'll be ok...

I think you'll be fine man, throw a humidity gauge down there and get some relatively solid numbers, but I expect It won't be an issue.

Hunidity gauge? Pardon my iggnorance, lol!

I think you'll be fine man, throw a humidity gauge down there and get some relatively solid numbers, but I expect It won't be an issue.

On a side note, since I'm 2 weeks plus away from getting mah light, I threw in a small piece of frozen shrimp, I want a good hard cycle. It disappeared.... Good thing I wanted a hard cycle. Hahaha!

NorthGaHillbilly

Hunidity gauge? Pardon my iggnorance, lol!

On a side note, since I'm 2 weeks plus away from getting mah light, I threw in a small piece of frozen shrimp, I want a good hard cycle. It disappeared.... Good thing I wanted a hard cycle. Hahaha!

Ive got a dual digital thing I got from walmart, temp and humidity. Im sure its FAR from top notch equipment, but it seems to work well enough.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

Ive got a dual digital thing I got from walmart, temp and humidity. Im sure its FAR from top notch equipment, but it seems to work well enough.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

Roger that, I'll pick one up. No matter what the humidity, I can install a 120mm x 120mmx 38 AC fan for about 25.00, probably will just because, lol. Thanks hillbilly!!!

Hahaha, only negitive is with the gooseneck, I'm at 120.00......lame. I might not even really run Macro....although for the pods it would be a good idea

Yeah, that is a big problem with the par bulbs. Had looked high and low for a "cheap" gooseneck, but to no avail. Have a couple of these laying around that I had used to hang a couple pars over my old 29g. Will just use 1 and staple it to the stand and call it a day. Think my fuge will consist of some porous rubble and chaeto and whatever else I throw in there solely for pod production.

NorthGaHillbilly

If your putting it inside your stand then one of these would work, its what im using and with a CF from HD its growing atleast a pound of cheato a week.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-2-Lamp-Outdoor-Bronze-Flood-Light-OFTH-300PR-120-BZ-M12/100652887?N=5yc1vZc7qfZ1z0z0msZ1z10r5u

Its not sexy, but it works

16613784046_8f706e2bd4_c.jpg20150224_204920 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Yeah, that is a big problem with the par bulbs. Had looked high and low for a "cheap" gooseneck, but to no avail. Have a couple of these laying around that I had used to hang a couple pars over my old 29g. Will just use 1 and staple it to the stand and call it a day. Think my fuge will consist of some porous rubble and chaeto and whatever else I throw in there solely for pod production.

I would like to know how good the light is, before I buy. No reviews on it.... I wonder if JedimasterBen might have input?

If your putting it inside your stand then one of these would work, its what im using and with a CF from HD its growing atleast a pound of cheato a week.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-2-Lamp-Outdoor-Bronze-Flood-Light-OFTH-300PR-120-BZ-M12/100652887?N=5yc1vZc7qfZ1z0z0msZ1z10r5u

Its not sexy, but it works

16613784046_8f706e2bd4_c.jpg20150224_204920 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

You're running dual lights? What kinda bulbs?

NorthGaHillbilly

I would like to know how good the light is, before I buy. No reviews on it.... I wonder if JedimasterBen might have input?

You're running dual lights? What kinda bulbs?

Just one bulb, the other socket will just screw out of the fixture.

Its a 25 watt, I think, CF "flood light" The bulb is inside with a reflector and diffuser around it

NorthGaHillbilly

Awesome, sold!

the bulbs were like 15 for two of them, and the socket was like 10, all you need is a cord... and it grows the shit out of some cheato, mangroves and the birdsnest I had down there.

Archived