ML's 40 Fusion! Upgrade Enroute

ml86743

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good 40 fusion brother.

Thanks! So is yours!!!

UPDATE:

Hmm the borealis acro and scipps stag have no PE as of late...Really puzzling stuff. No alk swings...Mg is good...CA is good...po4 is undetectable...Havent made any crazy changes...

CORALS ARE EFFING WEIRD

CORALS ARE EFFING WEIRD

Heck yes. 10 months in and my plate has starts receding. MY PLATE!! One of the first corals I got that had been soooo easy. :/

Heck yes. 10 months in and my plate has starts receding. MY PLATE!! One of the first corals I got that had been soooo easy. :/

It's so weird how somethimes they just decide to go nutzzzz

Jeez I have been so busy with work and getting things all set to head down to school. Im actually going down to Jacksonville to sign a lease with my two friends down there next week! I'm going to try and get up early tmr and get some pictures up before work...But I tend to sleep until the last minute possible...Just did my WC today cleaned the equipment, sucked out the back chambers and siphoned sand...I can't seem to kick these damn algae blooms on my sand bed..

I do need to grab some more chemipure ..but IDK...I feed a lot... lol.

I need some advice....I'm having issues with my scripps stag...borealis acro nd milepora, also the orange digi is showing no PE at all. The symptoms are all the same..no PE and dulling of color. Beforehand, I was having great success with these guys but I'm not relly sure whats going on here...I also have a stylo...birdnest...various encrusting montis and they all are fine. I haven't made any changes to the tank recently, just the normal up keep. alk sits around 8.5-9 calcium is 480+ and MG is around 1450. These levels have been consistent since the tank was established. This tank is still young, only about 5 months old. In my previous posts I shared a disaster when my protein skimmer overflowed and the ATO went nuts a dropped the salinity from 1.025 to 1.022. Could this have been the issue? Just a delayed reaction? I know after that happened my zoas showed some signs of being angry..but they didn't show it right away..it took about 5 days? All LPS and other corals are fine and look like they always have.. I dose seachem reef fusion 1-2 daily with a calculated manual dose, and Acropower daily. The only thing I can really think of would be temperature...My tank sat at around 77-79 during the winter and now with the increased temperature it will shoot up to about 80-81 on the hottest days so far. Any input would be appreciated

Today things looked better. Kept the AC on to keep temp stable. I can't believe how fast my Bird of Paradise is growing...It's ridiculous. I'll put up some shots in about a half an hour.

Today things looked better. Kept the AC on to keep temp stable. I can't believe how fast my Bird of Paradise is growing...It's ridiculous. I'll put up some shots in about a half an hour.

You better post some pics lol.

Holy crap thats some growth.

Its nuts right? I cant believe it...but at the same time my damn scripps and borealis haven't open in days...Doesn't make any sense whatsoooever. I'm still waiting for somebody to chime in on the matter...The polyps just have refused to come out and it really makes me angry..

Just a squirrel tryna get his nut...LOL :P

I think I've figured out what the deal is with some of my browning SPS...I don't know why I didn't test out sooner...But my phosphates were sitting around .10ppm's and they usually show up as undetectable. I guess the change is really what caused the sudden meltdown..along with the crazy salinity swing I had they probably got really angry. Haha..

Course Of Action:

I changed out both my chemipure elite bags hoping that will help with phosphate reduction..

I'm cutting back on feeding the fish from 2x a day to 1x a day.

If this fails I'll pick up a BRS reactor and run some GFO.

Any other suggestions would be welcomed.

On a lighter note, I just put in an order with World Wide Corals. I picked up this amazing purple/green cyphestrea, seafoam palys and a seasons greeting cap. I couldn't resist its been too long since I put in an online coral order...I wish I saved the picture of the cyphestrea becauses it's awesome!

EDIT:

Found it:)

JF style!

lps-07-2.jpg?1430942385

Nice shots. Looking good.

Thanks!

You are getting really good with photos if you don't mind me asking. What settings are you using?

Thanks! What I usually do is set up my tripod..kill the pumps..lowest ISO setting possible. Aperture and shutter speed I adjust accordingly...What really helped me was throwing the camera timer on to minimize any shakes or bumps. For color balance I'm just keeping AWB for now..until I have time to properly adjust the ratios. Off the top of my head that's all I can think of..

NOW, if I can just get the stag nd borealis to color up I'll be a happy camper..

Be cautious adding all the SPS, if they get happy Alk usage will climb quickly. :)

Are the acros ok now, or still mad? I'm still not exactly sure what harms mine but I suspect, based on input from others, that it's not so much high phosphates but he relation to nitrate. If nitrate is high then high phosphates will brown but not cause health issues. If nitrate is low then phosphate spikes can cause all kinds of problems.

I'm not sure about this though.

Oh, fantastic photos and FTS, everything looks great IMO.

Be cautious adding all the SPS, if they get happy Alk usage will climb quickly. :)

Are the acros ok now, or still mad? I'm still not exactly sure what harms mine but I suspect, based on input from others, that it's not so much high phosphates but he relation to nitrate. If nitrate is high then high phosphates will brown but not cause health issues. If nitrate is low then phosphate spikes can cause all kinds of problems.

I'm not sure about this though.

Oh, fantastic photos and FTS, everything looks great IMO.

I was hoping you would comment about this issue...and yes the nitrates read out at <0. The stag, mile and borealis are still showing no PE and are browning..Its really starting to get to me....My cap has a small patch of brown right near the center but the rest is green as can be. On the cap, algae keeps settling in only where its slightly brown. I keep blowing it off with my baster...All other SPS seem fine

On another note...I've noticed my torch dropping the top of a tentacle here and there...but is still out and well colored...I don't know if there is any correlation. I've been religiously testing and I cannot find anything that is extremely out of the norm...Hope its not headed for a meltdown...

HarryPotter

I was hoping you would comment about this issue...and yes the nitrates read out at <0. The stag, mile and borealis are still showing no PE and are browning..Its really starting to get to me....My cap has a small patch of brown right near the center but the rest is green as can be. On the cap, algae keeps settling in only where its slightly brown. I keep blowing it off with my baster...All other SPS seem fine

On another note...I've noticed my torch dropping the top of a tentacle here and there...but is still out and well colored...I don't know if there is any correlation. I've been religiously testing and I cannot find anything that is extremely out of the norm...Hope its not headed for a meltdown...

To me this sounds like you are starving the corals. Maybe try to get your nutrients up a bit? Just my thoughts

Can you get a clear shot with a good camera, nice and close with good detail?

Gotcha.

To me this sounds like you are starving the corals. Maybe try to get your nutrients up a bit? Just my thoughts

I feed them very often with reef roids, acropower, and reef energy a+b. I don't run GFO or anything crazayyyyy. Just chemipure.

THE PROBLEM CHILDREN.....This is why we can't have nice things...

If you need better shots I can try mark..Its just tough with the telephoto lens and the 18/55 or whatever isn't much better.

17742063483_8ed40b1d5a_o.jpgIMG_1419 by Ty D, on Flickr

18336294096_d20c7c999c_o.jpgIMG_1418 by Ty D, on Flickr

17742063933_c9fa5ce54c_o.jpgIMG_1417 by Ty D, on Flickr

18336294186_d48f9684f7_o.jpgIMG_1415 by Ty D, on Flickr

Archived