Top Shelf Aquatics

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

4 hours ago, SouthFlorida_Tron said:

Im moving at the new years, i think ill be just breaking down the tank and changing to an anemone tank with no sand.... seems to be more stress than anything... will be my first bare bottom tank...

Im sure the clown in there will be pleased although ill be missing the goby/pistol pair :(

I like the bare bottom in my 30g frag tank. But since the detritus shows up so clearly, I siphon it out a couple times a week. And algae tends to grow on the bottom glass, which means pulling things out so I can get at it with a scraper. Ideally, you want to grow encrusting corals on the bare bottom to avoid those kinds of problems.

On 11/28/2017 at 2:33 PM, tommygun said:

Post Thanksgiving Updates! Looks better after dosing.

FullSizeRender_2.thumb.jpg.c206a6e6d56a796cba42a765f68f01f6.jpg

FullSizeRender_3.thumb.jpg.3d35769d4fac18574d18972e4d8272ec.jpg

Closeup3.thumb.jpg.ff7167034aa18b11f0c49968327e1901.jpg

Closeup4.thumb.jpg.c95f6af2a51aa172fa3b9c3bdaeee6b6.jpg

Coseup1.thumb.jpg.bdff5672cf5012857e401680144c60e1.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nice! Those blastos on the sandbed are beautiful :wub:

• Like 1
On 10/23/2017 at 2:25 AM, tommygun said:

Aww man I'll have to rescape? ? I noticed all the corals in store came attached to rocks already so I figured after I finished adding corals and frags it will fill out the rocks. 

I wanted a deeper sand bed look and read about benefits but I can vacuum some out.

Do you or anyone here recommend a protein skimmer or a media reactor in this tank? I think I can only fit one or the other in the 2nd chamber. 

Thanks!

Congratulations on the new set up! I've found a very shallow sand bed (just enough for looks) is easiest to keep clean. And good thinking about what things will look like after your corals grow in.

I run a protein skimmer in the second chamber. When I run media, I just put it in a bag in the media basket in the first chamber.

On 11/21/2017 at 2:36 AM, Russell's Reef_721 said:

Any way I'd be able to get my build thread added to the list?

Welcome to the club! :welcome:

Unfortunately, the owner of this thread is no longer active on N-R, so no one can edit the first post to add new people to the list. But if you add a link to your build thread to your signature in your profile, it will make it easy for people to click on your thread and check it out!

On 12/2/2017 at 2:55 PM, teenyreef said:

Mine clogs up there too. Although as the tank has matured and it processes waster more effectively, it doesn't happen as often. When I siphon out water from the back chambers, I blow into the siphon tube to try to break up whatever's clogged up so it can get siphoned out. But I end up pulling the pump and using a toothbrush on the slots about every three or four months. I take it all apart and clean it thoroughly about once a year. 

cool glad i wasn't the only one. I ended up swapping out the pump for a stronger pump I had laying around. I threw in a rio 600 pump (200gph), the water ports are larger on the pump. I ended up siphoning and cleaning out the back chambers as well. Also, I noticed that ever since I swapped out the pump, the filter floss get clogged up quicker daily. It's probably from the extra water circulation doubling from the factory pump which has less output. Either way, things are good.

• Like 1

Newbie to the site! Thought I would post some pics and see what you guys think so far! I switched over from planted tanks and found saltwater is way more fun!......and expensive.......!

20170924_201527.jpg

20171006_173512.jpg

20171026_070411.jpg

20171118_112836.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks! Its been up just about 1 year exactly. 

Yeah, that Monti is out of control! I have to throw away pieces all the time because it gets too big. I should be selling them for credit at local store! The thing is a weed.

• Like 1

Picked up a prime HD, my God what a difference. I still need to play with the settings and what not but I really forgot how bright these little bastards are. received_10155947597666532.jpgreceived_10155947597746532.jpg

• Like 5

What pumps are you guys using ? I like the stock one because it's tiny and quiet, however would like more flow.

Tried using my Cobalt MJ-600 I have for salt mixing, but it was loud and too big, couldn't use base with suction cups for it, it would not fit, had to just lay it without suction cups on floor.

• Like 1

You want fill the water until you have it dropping about 1/2" to 1" from the second into the third chamber. Make sure the pump is running when you make the final adjustments.

I would not use that much Purigen, personally, It can be pretty powerful stuff, and I've killed lots of corals more than once by using too much phosphate removing media and dropping phosphates too quickly. In fact, I stopped using Purigen completely because I could never get the right amount dialed in with small tanks. But lots of people use it successfully, and I think it's good stuff. I just couldn't get it to work for me.

On 12/13/2017 at 8:19 PM, M4rtin said:

What pumps are you guys using ? I like the stock one because it's tiny and quiet, however would like more flow.

Tried using my Cobalt MJ-600 I have for salt mixing, but it was loud and too big, couldn't use base with suction cups for it, it would not fit, had to just lay it without suction cups on floor.

I'm using the stock return pump. I use an MP10 for flow :)

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, M4rtin said:

At what level should water be at back chambers ?

And I put in floss>chemipure blue>purigen in media basket. Is the prepacked 100ml purigen bag too big ?

The problem you're going to have is starving the flow to the return pump.  The overflow is very small on these 10/14 tanks.  With this much resistance to flow, you will have trouble getting enough flow through the media... so the level will rise in your main tank, to increase the flow through the overflow.... at some point, even with the return slots fully covered, you won't get enough flow through... then your ATO will start to add water as level in your flow starved sump starts to drop (assuming you have ATO, and ATO is in back return pump area), and this extra water just gets pumped into the display tank, raising the level.

I just had this happen on a 14 Peninsula.... had floss and two small bags of Chemipure.... level in main tank had risen to the point where the plastic clips that hold the top on were slightly submerged... when this happens they wick water out of the tank and down the side of the tank.  I found water all over the table where my tank sits.

So... be careful with flow restrictions, and change floss often.

6 minutes ago, LX20000 said:

The problem you're going to have is starving the flow to the return pump.  The overflow is very small on these 10/14 tanks.  With this much resistance to flow, you will have trouble getting enough flow through the media... so the level will rise in your main tank, to increase the flow through the overflow.... at some point, even with the return slots fully covered, you won't get enough flow through... then your ATO will start to add water as level drops, and this extra water just gets pumped into the display tank, raising the level.

I just had this happen on a 14 Peninsula.... had floss and two small bags of Chemipure.... level in main tank had risen to the point where the plastic clips that hold the top on were slightly submerged... when this happens they wick water out of the tank and down the side of the tank.  I found water all over the table where my tank sits.

So... be careful with flow restrictions, and change floss often.

Good words of advice. For anyone who wants to make sure there isn't water dripping down the sides of their tank, I watched a youtube video and if you drill or hammer a hole at the top of the plastic clip, the water won't be drawn out of the tank :) with that being said, you don't want your water levels too high though!

• Like 1
On 12/18/2017 at 11:23 AM, hinnenkm said:

Good words of advice. For anyone who wants to make sure there isn't water dripping down the sides of their tank, I watched a youtube video and if you drill or hammer a hole at the top of the plastic clip, the water won't be drawn out of the tank :) with that being said, you don't want your water levels too high though!

I had to do this fix one mine due to the spin stream pushing water onto my clips.

Just took a drill to the top / sides of the clip, and put holes in each and it doesnt pull water anymore.

On 12/18/2017 at 12:23 PM, hinnenkm said:

That's a great tip! I had the same problem at one point when I used a lot more media than I do now. Wish I had know about this back then :)

1 hour ago, Kosta Fusion 10 Gallon said:

Smart ato micro

That's the one I use in my 30g tank. I much prefer it over either of the Tunze ATO's, which I have in my other two tanks. And all three are much better than the Hydor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i'll also support the Smart ATO Micro, perfect for this tank. i originally ran the Tunze 3152 and would NOT recommend it.  if i could go back, this is pretty much the only thing i would change about my tank's progression/purchases.

i had an 'almost' disaster with the Tunze 3152 at the beginning of my IM10.  it got stuck on, pumping in almost all of my ATO reservoir one morning.  my gf and i amazingly woke up RIGHT as the tank started overflowing.  it lowered my salinity to around 1.016 if i recall, and damn near caused me a hefty bill in apartment damages.  luckily almost all of the corals recovered over the next few months but it turned me off to Tunze since then.  

after contacting them, it turns out it was a faulty controller and they wanted me to do a bunch of things to get it replaced so it's remained in a closet since i got the Smart Micro.  never looked back

• Like 1
CinnamonTorch
3 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i'll also support the Smart ATO Micro, perfect for this tank. i originally ran the Tunze 3152 and would NOT recommend it.  if i could go back, this is pretty much the only thing i would change about my tank's progression/purchases.

i had an 'almost' disaster with the Tunze 3152 at the beginning of my IM10.  it got stuck on, pumping in almost all of my ATO reservoir one morning.  my gf and i amazingly woke up RIGHT as the tank started overflowing.  it lowered my salinity to around 1.016 if i recall, and damn near caused me a hefty bill in apartment damages.  luckily almost all of the corals recovered over the next few months but it turned me off to Tunze since then.  

after contacting them, it turns out it was a faulty controller and they wanted me to do a bunch of things to get it replaced so it's remained in a closet since i got the Smart Micro.  never looked back

I believe it. I've been trying to get a new smart auto micro for my IM 10 but they are completely sold out everywhere. just my luck of course. They are the best though. Have one on my other tank.

CinnamonTorch

Hey everyone! I've tried searching for my answer on this discussion however I can't find anything. Im currently experiencing a huge amount of particles in my tank. Everything is running correctly.

I have media basket filled with filter floss, chemipure elite, and purigen. Nothing is working. it seems like the particles/detritus does not get better because it is constantly being pulled into the return pump and pushed through to the main display. My guess is that I have a huge amount of detritus trapped at the bottom of chamber 3 all the way to the right (dead zone underneath chambers 1 and 2). when I point my flashlight to this section of the tank, I see a HUGE amount of dirt/detritus however I can't remove it because I can't get anything to fit under there!! Is it possible my return pump has been sucking in all that gunk and just spitting it back into the main display?!? please help :( really can't seem to fix the particles/detritus.

Even went to the extent of buying a reef glass protein skimmer, and a mini max reactor filled with carbon, again, nothing has helped.

Hope someone can help! I attached a pic of the back chamber and where the dirt/detritus lies (underweight chambers 1 and 2. Return chamber all the way to the right).

Maybe if I can siphon it out, it will start being clear again?!!

Thanks everyone. happy reefing.

imageproxy.php.jpeg