SaltCritters.com

Innovative Marine Fusion 10 Club

obeythefro

34 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i had a couple beers last night and watched some videos of it and decided to spend the $27 bucks or whatever and give it a go :lol:

More importantly, can we get more information on the type and brewery of these aforementioned "cold-beers" (as they say in the South). Maybe even a play-by-play?

1 hour ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

yes hinnenkm thank you!

it is pretty much what i expected, and it just may come a little too close to my birdsnest but...

i had a couple beers last night and watched some videos of it and decided to spend the $27 bucks or whatever and give it a go :lol:

everyone seems to love it, and i am quickly realizing the importance of randomized flow now that my tank is filling in a bit.  i'll report back soon when i have it installed and have an opinion on it!

oh yeah, what return pump are you using hinnenkm?

Glad that helped! I am using the sicce 1.0 and really like it, although I've got more LPS and softies. I would imagine you'd need more flow if you've got it filled with SPS. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it!

1 hour ago, Cannedfish said:

More importantly, can we get more information on the type and brewery of these aforementioned "cold-beers" (as they say in the South). Maybe even a play-by-play?

haha i see you found your way over to the IM10 club thread.  your poetic shenanigans are surely welcome over here too!:lol:

as far as those beers go, i've been on a stout kick lately. tis the season i guess? but more importantly, i've been on a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout kick.  so, when i say i had a couple beers last night, i meant i was drunk haha.  this beer is incredible

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/epic-big-bad-baptist/154043/

i live in Colorado, where beer is trendy and overhyped, but undeniably awesome.  and i have worked at a brewery for 4 years, so i certainly have a little beer snob in me!

14 minutes ago, hinnenkm said:

Glad that helped! I am using the sicce 1.0 and really like it, although I've got more LPS and softies. I would imagine you'd need more flow if you've got it filled with SPS. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it!

...back to fish stuff!  my tank is a mixed reef, mostly LPS with a few SPS and i have a hard time balancing the flow throughout the tank, keeping the SPS in higher flow without whipping my euphyllia around too much.  i'm convinced i need the RFG if i'm set on not adding another powerhead to the display. 

my only problem now is that i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to get the Sicce 1.0.  i currently run the 0.5 at max but know the RFG will cut back the output.  oh well, another 50-some bucks into the tank...i'll have to catch a buzz this weekend and get it ordered haha

10 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

haha i see you found your way over to the IM10 club thread.  your poetic shenanigans are surely welcome over here too!:lol:

as far as those beers go, i've been on a stout kick lately. tis the season i guess? but more importantly, i've been on a bourbon barrel aged imperial stout kick.  so, when i say i had a couple beers last night, i meant i was drunk haha.  this beer is incredible

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/epic-big-bad-baptist/154043/

i live in Colorado, where beer is trendy and overhyped, but undeniably awesome.  and i have worked at a brewery for 4 years, so i certainly have a little beer snob in me!

...back to fish stuff!  my tank is a mixed reef, mostly LPS with a few SPS and i have a hard time balancing the flow throughout the tank, keeping the SPS in higher flow without whipping my euphyllia around too much.  i'm convinced i need the RFG if i'm set on not adding another powerhead to the display. 

my only problem now is that i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to get the Sicce 1.0.  i currently run the 0.5 at max but know the RFG will cut back the output.  oh well, another 50-some bucks into the tank...i'll have to catch a buzz this weekend and get it ordered haha

Oh man, cant get much better then a good barrel aged stout.  Stout season is the BEST.  Here in STL we have 4hands, and they put out a beer called Absensce of Light, which is a peanut butter chocolate milk stout, and its amazing.  Also horded some Founders KBS, which is an amazing barrel aged beer.  Best part is a couple and im down for the count. 

Ive been close to picking up one of these RFG, but have a mp10, so keep talking myself out of it.  I see enough of them and it may be my next purchase haha.  

Has anyone ever experienced the stock return pump getting clogged quickly. I noticed that the pump's inlet cage has small openings and it gets clogged quick with detritus/gunk and it slows down the pump flow significantly. has anyone thought about cutting the cage openings slightly so stuff will not clog up the pump easily?

I know the picture isn't the actual pump but the inlet is similar on the bottom.

103MaxiPowerhead2.jpg

Russell's Reef_721
On 11/6/2017 at 5:50 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

i'm a big fan of not having any other powerheads in my display but i am looking at other options for more flow.  i just think the RFG will look kind of dumb in my display if it's as big as i think it is. 

Same here, I hate having equimpent in my display area. If VCA made a slip-fit RFG nozzle, that would be killer.

well i got my RFG in and installed it.  it doesn't look too bad, it is a little big...but with my Sicce 0.5 it has hardly any flow throughout the tank.  so as i expected, i will have to either get the Sicce 1.0 or sell the RFG.

30 minutes ago, Russell's Reef_721 said:

Same here, I hate having equimpent in my display area. If VCA made a slip-fit RFG nozzle, that would be killer.

they do.  you need to get the adapter in 16 mm or 19 mm drop.  it slides right on the stock fitting that the nozzle is connected to.

3 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

well i got my RFG in and installed it.  it doesn't look too bad, it is a little big...but with my Sicce 0.5 it has hardly any flow throughout the tank.  so as i expected, i will have to either get the Sicce 1.0 or sell the RFG.

they do.  you need to get the adapter in 16 mm or 19 mm drop.  it slides right on the stock fitting that the nozzle is connected to.

I currently use a cheap 330 gph pump and a spin stream in mine.  It does a pretty decent job outside of the noise the SS makes.  I ordered a couple of chinese knock off's that should be here soon and plan to try them out.  If they are noisy as well, Ill just have to toss a jaebo SW-2 in there (although like you guys, I dont like an extra powerhead in the display)

Russell's Reef_721
12 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

I know that, I just meant one that slips on like the stock return jet. Just a little piece with loc-line at the end would make it so much smaller

I don't like the look of a powerhead in the tank either, i'm going to have mostly SPS so i'm really excited about the IceCap 2k Gyre and how that will look in the 10.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NanoxNoe said:

I don't like the look of a powerhead in the tank either, i'm going to have mostly SPS so i'm really excited about the IceCap 2k Gyre and how that will look in the 10.

The looks of Power heads don't bother me too much but they do take up space valuable space, especially in a nano. That 2K Gyre looks nice and low profile. I was planning on maybe getting one for a Nuvo 30L build I'm working on as long as the reviews are good

Here’s a quick video to give an idea of the Random Flow Generator in a Nuvo 10 with a Sicce 1.0 as the only flow in the tank. Sorry my lights changed at the end :)

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, VaporCountry said:

Looks great, thats the only flow in your tank? Also what is the location of the frogspawn? Thanks so much for sharing

Correct, no other powerheads... and this is in the bottom right corner. I've got a couple torches up in the top left as well that move around the same way this one does.

• Thanks 1

Hey guys, just wanted to share an update on my progress. I am really loving this great lil nano tank. Its been a month and things have been really smooth, lets hope the luck streak continues. The tank cycled super fast, I added two clowns and a blasto coral 2 weeks ago. Black Friday deals coming up right now so picked up a wall hammer coral today and some zoa colonies. Can you guys help identify what type of zoas this is and will be they be growing in new holes on this rock? It seems a little different than what I'm used to seeing in zoa frags. Any tips or reef improvements let me know! Love this addicting hobby.

What zoa is this??

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.a959200d51526ad8730c234e336d245e.jpg

Full tank shot and side shots:

IMG_1663.thumb.JPG.2afd329608e1898479ca20f4dc1b20db.JPG

IMG_1665.thumb.JPG.ed89d6d99690b8cf539bb4bc2a2ea5a9.JPG

FullSizeRender(1).thumb.jpg.c684b3b21dbdab92ef9d5be081bf0fd1.jpg

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.6f0a095da78c314fbc575321af568e65.JPG

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Hey guys, what kind of chemical filtration are you all running??

Ive been using 2 nano bags of chemipure blue changed out one every other month, and have recently gone down to only using 1... i keep getting a stubborn algae on the sandbed i can't seem to shake. 

i did lights out for 3 days and it wiped it out and my light is turned down to a low percentage and the algae still comes back.... I'm getting frustrated... corals look so so, I'm not sure whats going on or what to do...

Meanwhile, my cousin has the very same tank, same light, NO FILTRATION, and heavily stocked and its running great....

2 hours ago, SouthFlorida_Tron said:

Ive been using 2 nano bags of chemipure blue changed out one every other month, and have recently gone down to only using 1... i keep getting a stubborn algae on the sandbed i can't seem to shake. 

i did lights out for 3 days and it wiped it out and my light is turned down to a low percentage and the algae still comes back.... I'm getting frustrated... corals look so so, I'm not sure whats going on or what to do...

Meanwhile, my cousin has the very same tank, same light, NO FILTRATION, and heavily stocked and its running great....

are you vacuuming your sand?

On 11/29/2017 at 1:57 PM, gone_PHiSHin said:

are you vacuuming your sand?

On 11/29/2017 at 11:19 AM, SouthFlorida_Tron said:

I was also about to say that, vacuuming the sand makes a great difference for my IM tank. I also noticed when i don't vacuum the sand, i get some slime algae in the sand and more glass algae growth. I'm guessing because the sand builds up a bunch of detritus/crud in it. I always see the nasty hazy stuff in water the gravel vac pulls up when i siphon the sand. hope this helps you out.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Im moving at the new years, i think ill be just breaking down the tank and changing to an anemone tank with no sand.... seems to be more stress than anything... will be my first bare bottom tank...

Im sure the clown in there will be pleased although ill be missing the goby/pistol pair :(

On 11/29/2017 at 11:19 AM, SouthFlorida_Tron said:

I've actually cut back on my chemical filtration. I run a bag of carbon once a month for 3-7 days (depending on when I get around to taking it back out). The filter floss and the skimmer take care of everything else.

I agree the sandbed maintenance is critical. I use a turkey baster to gently stir up the sand in place every couple days, and I pull rocks out to vacuum under the sand every few months. Come to think of it, about as often as I vacuum under the furniture in the house :lol:

I also siphon water out of the back chambers during water changes about once a month. Before I siphon it out, I insert the siphon tube as far down/back as I can and blow into it to get things stirred up so I can siphon out as much gunk as I can. The dead chamber underneath sections 1 and 2 can really accumulate a lot of crap.

What color is the algae? Red or green or brown?

• Like 1
On 11/8/2017 at 12:10 PM, FishDooD65 said:

Has anyone ever experienced the stock return pump getting clogged quickly. I noticed that the pump's inlet cage has small openings and it gets clogged quick with detritus/gunk and it slows down the pump flow significantly. has anyone thought about cutting the cage openings slightly so stuff will not clog up the pump easily?

I know the picture isn't the actual pump but the inlet is similar on the bottom.

103MaxiPowerhead2.jpg

Mine clogs up there too. Although as the tank has matured and it processes waster more effectively, it doesn't happen as often. When I siphon out water from the back chambers, I blow into the siphon tube to try to break up whatever's clogged up so it can get siphoned out. But I end up pulling the pump and using a toothbrush on the slots about every three or four months. I take it all apart and clean it thoroughly about once a year.