Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Great colors in your tank!

Thanks, and actually the high maintenance needs of seahorses still scares me, too! Fitzgerald can't wear a monocle, that is for Col. Mustard who maliciously did in Mrs Peacock in the dining room with the lead pipe. Somehow it just wouldn't be fitting for Fitzgerald to whack the sexy shrimp in the aquarium using a hammer tentacle! (A reference to the board game Clue in case my prior statement doesn't make sense to everyone) LOL

Hahaha! I used to love to play Clue :) And you're right, he doesn't really doesn't like the villain. I'm sure if I eventually get the clowns my family has been asking for, one of the will be the type to whack the sexy shrimp in the aquarium using a hammer tentacle :D

Is the green plating monti the one that turns purple on its rims?

That's a great question! I'll let you know when it starts to grow. Right now the rim is more whitish. I think the purple tones on the rim in the picture is because of the overall purple/blue coloration in the white balance from the camera.

• Like 3

In other news, I snagged a used macro lens on Ebay the other day (Tamron 90mm). I swear I think I'm more excited to get this new lens than I was for the last batch of corals :D Can't wait for it to show up!

This is the lens I use and I love it!! Good luck with everything and the rest of your photos look good so far. :)

• Like 1

Thanks! I can't wait to try out the new lens!

Fitzgerald is really everything you guys said he would be. The whole family is in love with him :wub:

While I was feeding the tank the other night with the pumps off, Fitzgerald came out and investigated the MP10. If I'd ever had any doubts about keeping the filter screen on it, I don't now! He spent a good ten minutes in it. I had trouble getting decent pictures because the lighting wasn't good, but I was able to get a couple viewable ones by cranking up the exposure.

16091082677_cb87b11024_b.jpgFitzgerald hanging out by the MP10 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

16276950375_16780a2562_b.jpgFiztzgerald wondering "Should I go in?"; by TeenyReef, on Flickr

16089582580_53305853f6_b.jpgFitzgerald says "I like it in here!"; by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Thanks!

Unfortunately I can't give the ghost skimmer a glowing review. It works OK, but so far I can only keep it from producing microbubbles by cranking up the air venturi all the way. It skims pretty well on that setting but it's noisy and I still get a few microbubbles.

Other people have reported they got theirs to work OK after breaking it in and playing with the settings, so I haven't given up. But it's been way harder than it should be to get it going.

Very good fish!!!
  • Like 1

Hahaha! I used to love to play Clue :) And you're right, he doesn't really doesn't like the villain. I'm sure if I eventually get the clowns my family has been asking for, one of the will be the type to whack the sexy shrimp in the aquarium using a hammer tentacle :D

That's a great question! I'll let you know when it starts to grow. Right now the rim is more whitish. I think the purple tones on the rim in the picture is because of the overall purple/blue coloration in the white balance from the camera.

For sure, female clowns make awesome villains!
  • Like 1

It's amazing to me how big a rock a little snail or crab can knock over! At least once a week somebody knocks down the whole top pile of rocks (avalanche!!!). I got tired of rebuilding it every week so I got a big stick of red TLF Aquastik and a big tube of Seachem Reef Glue and spent about an hour gluing down rocks and corals. In my little 4g tank I've always used regular JB Waterweld and Loctite Gel Superglue. The problem with the Waterweld is it dries bright white and really sticks out. And the problem with the little bottles of Loctite is that is runs out in seconds when you're trying to really put a lot on (like when you are gluing rocks).

I really like both the Aquastik and the Reef Glue. You can barely tell where the Aquastik is because it matches the red/pink coraline that's already on the rocks. And the big tube of Reef Glue goes a lot longer than the Loctite. The best part is that I think the Reef Glue is cheaper than Loctite per ounce.

Both of the plating montis are hopefully in their permanent locations now, along with the Mogonian Gorgonian. I'll post pictures later once everything opens back up. :)

• Like 2

How did I miss that!? You got a Tracy Morgonian! Mine is one of my favorite pieces - one of the fastest growers I have. Fluffy as can be. I hope you like it too!

• Like 2

Updated FTS now that everything is glued in place. I'm still working on gradually increasing the lights to improve the color on the corals, but it's finally starting to look like a coral reef :)

https://flic.kr/p/pX1dz8'>15718655233_38a1c725e9_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/pX1dz8'>IM10 FTS - 01/19/2015 by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

How did I miss that!? You got a Tracy Morgonian! Mine is one of my favorite pieces - one of the fastest growers I have. Fluffy as can be. I hope you like it too!

I like it so far. It's really small and isn't super fluffy yet but it's been extended every day so I think it's just a matter of time.

16291003635_f32d198bb4_b.jpgTracy Morgonian Gorgonian? by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6

I've seen this guy moving around on the rocks but I've never been able to get a picture before today. He moves pretty quick but only when I'm not looking :)

After doing some googling, I think he's a fleshy limpet. You can just make out the shell under the flesh. This is what I was hoping for when I got uncured live rock :D

https://flic.kr/p/qzCmP1'>16133100838_9fb8be8588_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qzCmP1'>Fleshy Limpet by https://www.flickr.com/people/15628054@N06/'>TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 4

Neat red limpet! And what a great splash of color!

Thanks - I wasn't sure what the heck it was at first. When it was little I thought it was just a red sponge or mushroom. But when it started moving all over the tank from one day to the next I realized I needed to take a closer look. I'm pretty sure there are a few more in the tank but it's hard to tell when they're small and hidden in the crevices of the rock.

great pics with the new lens!

Thanks! I'm loving this lens. I know everybody says the glass is more important than the camera body, but it's really cool to see what that means in reality :)

It's really coming together and the limped is very cool.

Thank you, Dawn! Next I need to add some zoas and start working on more SPS :D

• Like 2

Bluuuuuuuuuuueeee! I keep looking at sticks for something blue. Or a clam :lol: That limpet is cool. I thought "mushroom" when I first saw the pic, then read your description. Makes the uncured rock totes worth it. I'm too much of a chicken about dealing with pests to do the uncured rock route.

• Like 3

Yep, I've definitely been thinking blue. Different shades of blue in some nice zoas down low in the front, and maybe an oregon tort growing up high on the rocks.

• Like 2
I'm on the lookout for blue too! Not confident enough to spend lots on a blue SPS, but maybe a blue clam!
I have a blue crocea clam, (that is actually more purple than blue) but crocea clams are nice for Nanos because they only grow to about 6" and they grow slower than other clams. They need intense light but that should not be a problem for you.

Yep - my tank needs to be a little more mature before I start investing in big bucks sticks :)
I suppose blue clove polyps might be too invasive in a small tank? They are pretty and usually cheap though.
  • Like 2

I have a blue crocea clam, (that is actually more purple than blue) but crocea clams are nice for Nanos because they only grow to about 6" and they grow slower than other clams. They need intense light but that should not be a problem for you.

I've got quite a few small pieces on or very near to the sand that need to heal up and grow out. Once I clear that space a little, a pretty blue clam is on the list!

• Like 2

Teeny,

Can I ask which rock you used from KP Aquatics? Did you use the 1o lb package of premium cured live rock or did you use the cultured rock? Are you happy with your KP experience?

I got the 10lb package of uncured live rock. I was very happy with it. Lots of coralline and macro algae, plenty of hitchhikers. The limpet was a hitchhiker, for example :)

I suppose blue clove polyps might be too invasive in a small tank? They are pretty and usually cheap though.

I do like the look of the blue clove polyps but I would be nervous about them taking over :)

I've got quite a few small pieces on or very near to the sand that need to heal up and grow out. Once I clear that space a little, a pretty blue clam is on the list!

Yay!!! I'd love to get a clam but this tank needs to mature for quite a while before that's on my list :D

• Like 2