inTank Media Baskets

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Yeah, he's darty when he's not staying in one spot, or hiding. And just tonight I saw him chasing Fitzgerald for the first time, not sure what was up with that.

My coral beauty in the 40g never touches the corals. He was on a short list of angels that @StinkyBunny said were consistently reef safe in his experience.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gena said:

@teenyreef thanks for the video!  Does he mostly stay in one spot like that?  Doesn't chase other fish?  It kinda reminds me of my orchid dottyback which was a darty fish.  I really need something that swims around like Doug LOL.  But I don't want a Doug.  I want an angel fish idealy but I don't trust them with my open brain coral and other LPS.  I would love to be able to get one of those pygmy angelfish but don't feel like having to net it when it starts misbehaving....sigh.

There are only a few relatively reef safe Centropyge angels, the Cherub race, Flameback, Fireball, Resplendent and Cherub as well as Coral Beauty angels. I've never seen those angels go for corals, the rest, ESPECIALLY the Flame will sample everything. Why not a Royal Gramma @gena ?

• Like 3
6 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

There are only a few relatively reef safe Centropyge angels, the Cherub race, Flameback, Fireball, Resplendent and Cherub as well as Coral Beauty angels. I've never seen those angels go for corals, the rest, ESPECIALLY the Flame will sample everything. Why not a Royal Gramma @gena ?

Does the royal gramma swim around?  I thought they mostly stayed in the rocks.  I love how active angels are.  I had a coral beauty before...great fish but it did bother my LPS occasionally.

• Like 1

Do you know where that Coral Beauty came from @gena ? The ones I get out of The Philippines are great, I've had mine for almost 2 years and all she goes after is algae. Was it a light Coral beauty or dark? There is a difference. I've never kept one from Fiji, I can't get the damn things to arrive alive.

Light- Fiji

Med-Indian Ocean/ Bali

Dark- Philippines, Australia (can be light as well depending on location) and Oceania

My first royal gramma hid, but he did live in Gertie's tank.  My second one in my 40g was always out n' about.  The pygmy I had to remove though.  Just by trying to nip for algae it was causing the rose coral to shut down.  And now that my clam is in there I made a good choice for removal.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Do you know where that Coral Beauty came from @gena ? The ones I get out of The Philippines are great, I've had mine for almost 2 years and all she goes after is algae. Was it a light Coral beauty or dark? There is a difference. I've never kept one from Fiji, I can't get the damn things to arrive alive.

Light- Fiji

Med-Indian Ocean/ Bali

Dark- Philippines, Australia (can be light as well depending on location) and Oceania

I have no idea where it was from.  I'll have to look for photos to see what it looked like again as far as light, med., or dark.  Off the top of my head, I don't think it was super dark.  Maybe medium.

10 hours ago, FlowerMama said:

My first royal gramma hid, but he did live in Gertie's tank.  My second one in my 40g was always out n' about.  The pygmy I had to remove though.  Just by trying to nip for algae it was causing the rose coral to shut down.  And now that my clam is in there I made a good choice for removal.

I see people having luck with pygmy angels but then I see people have the same issue as you.  I think I read they like coral mucus because it's nutritious and full of protein.  But like you said, it causes them to shut down.  I like looking at puffy happy coral :). 

• Like 1
On Fri Feb 17 2017 at 11:59 PM, gena said:

@teenyreef thanks for the video!  Does he mostly stay in one spot like that?  Doesn't chase other fish?  It kinda reminds me of my orchid dottyback which was a darty fish.  I really need something that swims around like Doug LOL.  But I don't want a Doug.  I want an angel fish idealy but I don't trust them with my open brain coral and other LPS.  I would love to be able to get one of those pygmy angelfish but don't feel like having to net it when it starts misbehaving....sigh.

Gena, look into a cherub angel.  Mine has been perfect.  Doesn't bother any of the corals, just pokes around the rocks and gsp wall looking for snacks.  I got him from KPA already trained to pellets.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Slowtwitch said:

Gena, look into a cherub angel.  Mine has been perfect.  Doesn't bother any of the corals, just pokes around the rocks and gsp wall looking for snacks.  I got him from KPA already trained to pellets.

You are tempting me!!!!  I think one of those would be perfect.  I'm just afraid to take a chance!!!!  I'll give it some more thought.  I really want a helfrichi firefish and yellow clown goby.  and and maybe a black clown goby.  I'll just overstock my tank LOL.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, gena said:

You are tempting me!!!!  I think one of those would be perfect.  I'm just afraid to take a chance!!!!  I'll give it some more thought.  I really want a helfrichi firefish and yellow clown goby.  and and maybe a black clown goby.  I'll just overstock my tank LOL.

Shoot, the two clowns will do more damage to your softies by humping them to death :lol:

• Like 3
1 minute ago, teenyreef said:

Shoot, the two clowns will do more damage to your softies by humping them to death :lol:

You'd think my open brain coral would be a skeleton by now LOL.  But nope :).

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Slowtwitch said:

50 / 50 chance.  Lucky yours doesn't but for every time I read that someone's dwarf angel doesn't nip, there is another story of someone else tearing down their tank to catch one that does nip.  Plus a cherub in a 20 gallon tank is not really recommended, especially one that's tall vs a 20 long...  I know they stay pretty small but I would think a small tank will make them more prone to nipping?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

50 / 50 chance.  Lucky yours doesn't but for every time I read that someone's dwarf angel doesn't nip, there is another story of someone else tearing down their tank to catch one that does nip.  Plus a cherub in a 20 gallon tank is not really recommended, especially one that's tall vs a 20 long...  I know they stay pretty small but I would think a small tank will make them more prone to nipping?

That's a good point, I forgot Gena's tank's only 20g. My coral beauty does great, but that's in a 40g tank with a lot more room to swim around and find interesting things to eat. That aren't corals.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

12 hours ago, teenyreef said:

That's a good point, I forgot Gena's tank's only 20g. My coral beauty does great, but that's in a 40g tank with a lot more room to swim around and find interesting things to eat. That aren't corals.

You guys are no fun :lol:.  But that's true.  I remember reading that in a smaller tank there is a greater risk of bad behavior.  I wish it was really easy to catch these guys.  If it was, I'd totally try one out.  But I think I'll just be safe and not even take the chance.  Because I know I'd end up having to take everything out of my tank to catch it.

• Like 3

Roosevelt, one of the two green banded gobies, died today :(

He looked unwell last night with a lot of swelling around the gills, and sure enough I found his body tonight. All the other fish are fine, including Lincoln, the other GBG, so it may have just been his time.

I'd like to find another one, so I'll have to start keeping my eyes open at the LFS's.

52 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

He looked unwell last night with a lot of swelling around the gills, and sure enough I found his body tonight. All the other fish are fine, including Lincoln, the other GBG, so it may have just been his time.

I'd like to find another one, so I'll have to start keeping my eyes open at the LFS's.

Sorry to hear.  They don't live long :(.  My female died.  She got all bloated and was gone by the next day.  My remaining one, blind in one eye, is slowing down.  He's not bloated yet, but I'm anticipating it will be soon.  I wish they lived longer.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gena said:

Sorry to hear.  They don't live long :(.  My female died.  She got all bloated and was gone by the next day.  My remaining one, blind in one eye, is slowing down.  He's not bloated yet, but I'm anticipating it will be soon.  I wish they lived longer.

Thanks, Gena, that's exactly what happened with Roosevelt. All bloated one night and gone the next. 

I just checked, I got these guys in March 2015, so they're almost two years old. That's probably about as much as we can expect of these little fish, unfortunately.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks, Gena, that's exactly what happened with Roosevelt. All bloated one night and gone the next. 

I just checked, I got these guys in March 2015, so they're almost two years old. That's probably about as much as we can expect of these little fish, unfortunately.

It's hard to know how old they were when we got them too.  Was yours from the eBay seller or someplace else?  I got like 5 of them from eBay, and they dwindled to just 2.  Now I have the one left.  I think I remember reading the life expectancy is like 2 or 3 years.  Such a shame.  They are great little fish.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, J-Ranko said:

Sorry to hear about the goby.  Knowing how well you take care of your tank, I'm sure he had a good life. :)

Thanks - I think he did. The two of them were often chasing each other around like they were courting, so I think they've been pretty happy.

Just now, gena said:

It's hard to know how old they were when we got them too.  Was yours from the eBay seller or someplace else?  I got like 5 of them from eBay, and they dwindled to just 2.  Now I have the one left.  I think I remember reading the life expectancy is like 2 or 3 years.  Such a shame.  They are great little fish.

Yep, Caribbean Fish Collectors, I think he's called. I'm tempted to order another five, and put two in this tank and three in the 40g. Or maybe in the 30g frag tank. So many choices :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Thanks - I think he did. The two of them were often chasing each other around like they were courting, so I think they've been pretty happy.

Yep, Caribbean Fish Collectors, I think he's called. I'm tempted to order another five, and put two in this tank and three in the 40g. Or maybe in the 30g frag tank. So many choices :)

If I still had the big tank, I'd totally order another 5.  But can't do it with this 20g.  I see them at my LFS occasionally, so that's good for when I need to replace him.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Shitty.  I've wanted a handful of those guys since seeing them in your tank.

RIP, Roosevelt.  

Pouring a glass in his honor now......brb.

• Like 3