inTank Media Baskets

HVani's 34g CADlights Mini-II-Let It Grow

HVani

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dooooooooooo it. what else did you order?!?!

You are a terrible influence

2 Peppermint Shrimp $13.00

1 White Claw Hermit $4.00

1 Red Mithrax Crab $5.00

2 Orange Claw Hermit Crab $1.20

1 Corky Sea Finger $19.00

1 Yellowhead Jawfish $13.50

1 Black Rock Urchin $12.50

1 Dwarf Cerith Snail 50 Lot $8.00

1 Nano Serpent Star $4.50

1 Assorted Oddball Ricordea $12.00

I guess I can wait to buy salt lol

Ok so along with the K&P order I went to a local reefer's house and picke dup some frags. He gave me a pretty good deal on everything.

I got a red digi to replace the one I lost

2 encrusting montis, one is a rainbow and the other is some sort of sunset. Both need some TLS

3 polyp frag of rastas

2 polyp frag of emerald on fire.

The zoas look insane under the nano box.

Hello me name is HVani and I have a problem lol.

Awesome Tank! That's a really nice Wellso you got. And I'm really digging that Octopus decal. Following! And you need an octopus statue in your tank. You need to get this for your tank! Lol.

mqlGhPOy6toafJp78fVhWLw.jpg

Ebay link here

Snail army arrived. I think they might all be dead :( I added them to the tank and hour ago and there's been no movement. The box wasn't insulated and the USPS guy just left it by the door. Didn't even ring the bell even tough someone was home. I'm so disappointed.

Hermits are enjoying a buffet of dead snails right now.

If snails can't survive the mail this time of year I won't be ordering any coral.

Ugh, that stinks. Gotta love our ridiculous weather.

What sort of frag(s) are you looking to add again? I might be able to get rid of a couple things at this point.

Did the snails definitely die? If they were dead, you would have known by the smell as soon as you opened the box. Sometimes, snails can go into a dormant state during shipping and can take up to 3 days to "wake up" after they're in your tank(especially florida Ceriths if I remember correctly). If you didn't have a horrible stench when you opened the box/bag, then you might still be in the clear.

Did the snails definitely die? If they were dead, you would have known by the smell as soon as you opened the box. Sometimes, snails can go into a dormant state during shipping and can take up to 3 days to "wake up" after they're in your tank(especially florida Ceriths if I remember correctly). If you didn't have a horrible stench when you opened the box/bag, then you might still be in the clear.

Well the florida cerith shells were all empty. I checked for the smell first and didn't notice any. The nerites are definitely dead. After a day they were all hanging out of their shells. Also the nass snails have not moved at all. I pulled the nerites but left the rest just in case. I emailed a picture to John a couple days ago but haven't heard anything back. I'm trying to find some nass snails locally. One place I went to wanted $3 per snail. Ridiculous.

I'm bored at work and trying to stock this thing.

I currently have a pair of onyx clowns and a horned blenny, with a yellow headed jawfish on the way. Another for sure is a firefish if I can find a helfrichi.

I don't have room for much else and I'm trying to figure out if I want to do a centerpiece fish or a bunch of little fish.

Options

Cherub angel: Pros active colorful and swims around. Cons: can be a bully, risk to coral

Midas Blenny: Pros: Colorful and active Cons: Can be a jerk

Sunburst Anthias: Pros very colorful and peaceful Cons: Trouble eating and can be shy

Or small fish

Green band gobies

Clown gobies

Cleaner gobies

Mix match from above.

HELP :(

You already have or will have some big fish. I say go for a trio or more of the green banded gobies. They are so adorable in groups. Much better than just one or two :).

K&P always delivers :) :) :)

Ok so my freebie was some extra dwarf ceriths and 3 extra orange claw hermits

Here's my original order

2 Peppermint Shrimp $13.00-One for the 8 gallon and 1 for the 34

1 White Claw Hermit $4.00-This guy went to work right away picking at some algae

1 Red Mithrax Crab $5.00-Kind of scary but cool looking. I may regret this decision

2 Orange Claw Hermit Crab $1.20-Sent me 3 extra, one of my favorite hermits

1 Corky Sea Finger $19.00-I wasn't at home long enough to see this open up but I think it has white polyps. A very strange gorg, it's very sponge like. It started to open up right away but it may be a while till it's fully open

1 Yellowhead Jawfish $13.50-He's totally freaked out but adorable. I turned out the lights to help him settle

1 Black Rock Urchin $12.50-Freaking sweet! Some of the black spines have purple tips

1 Dwarf Cerith Snail 50 Lot $8.00-Snail army went to work right away

1 Nano Serpent Star $4.50-Tiny little star. Tan and burgundy

1 Assorted Oddball Ricordea $12.00-Neat little ric. Sort of a sea foam green color

Everything was in tip top shape. Sadly I had to go back to work. I'm working a 12 today so I won't be home till late. Most likely no pictures for a few days.

Things seem to be settling. My urchin is testing my gluing of just about everything. I got some reef putty and bolted some things down. Hopefully it will work.

My rock flower anemone moved up on top of a rock so it's easier to feed now. My red mithrax crab took residence right under it so he was pretty happy with last night's feeding.

The gorg hasn't opened yet but I've been moving it all over the tank. I glued it down last night where I think it will be happy.

My tank is in my office, so last night I sat very still at my computer and after a few minutes this little yellow head would rise up from the sand :) I have so missed having a jawfish. 100% cooler than any pistol shrimp/goby compo IMO.

I'm gonna try and get some pictures tonight. I think if I sit in my computer chair and zoom in on the tank I will be able to get a shot of the jawfish.

My LFS didn't get in any helfrichi firefish this week. I'm starting to have second thoughts about what type of firefish to have in this tank. I really like the helfrichi but the red firefish are pretty awesome too. I showed my husband pictures of a purple, helfrichi and red firefish last night and asked which he liked best. He picked to red saying it would show up better in my tank. I'm still no closer to a decision. Oh well I have time.

In other news my clowns have started associating with the hammer coral and the welso. They can't seem to be able to make up their mind between the 2. Nevermind a nice bubble tip is right near that area, silly fish.

i love red firefish =). great color contrast, 1/5 the cost of a helfrichi. if you get one that's not shy, it's really awesome.

They have such a nice contrast and I love the longer top fin. Gah, this is impossible lol

Last night things seemed a little "off." I couldn't put my finger on it though. The corals looked great but the fish (clowns & jawfish) were acting a little weird. The jawfish may still be settling, I know they stress easily. The clowns were hanging out near the surface in the back of the tank. One was swimming pretty normally while the other just seemed off.

I did a full parameter check, everything checked out. I gave thew clowns another freshwater dip and turned the skimmer back on. The skimmer had not been pulling anything so I had turned it off. It still isn't pulling anything. The temp seemed warm but my hands are always cold so who knows. My thermometer's batteries died so I can only go by the temp on the heater which says it was 80.

Anyway I did a quick 10% water change (i love small tanks, this took no time). I did some light vasuuming, the sand was really clean I guess because of the flow. I also cleaned a sponge I have to catch juck at the intake.

As I watched the fish a little longer the clowns seems to settle and be a bit more normal. The jawfish was in a burrow so I don't know how he is. I might prazi the system like I did for the 8.

All inverts and corals are fine, well except my green acro. It's dying but it was most likely too soon for an acro.

Gonna hold off on the firefish until I feel things are ok.

Eveyrthing seems to be back to normal. I haven't seen the jawfish but he got really freaked out the other day so he most likely is just hiding. I can see evidence he's been working on his burrow so I assume he's ok.

I went looking for nass snails at the other 2 LFS in town and they were $3.50 at one and $3.99 at another. Seriously?? I'm gonna have to wait till I go to Milwaukee again. The store there has them for 1.29 each.

Sooo while I was at the lfs I may have picked up a tiny new addition. I can't get a picture but I'll just put this one here

lg-0710131-034.jpg

And is already eating prepared foods. Say him eat at the LFS.

Archived