Top Shelf Aquatics

HVani's 34g CADlights Mini-II-Let It Grow

HVani

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good man. I like the scape, lots of room for growth and frags. The flow took me some time to figure out and find a sweet spot. I have my rw-4 on w2 at 20-30%. The return pump that the tank comes with is quite powerful for a stock pump. I dialed it down as far as it went on the adjustment on the intake of the pump. I took me a couple days of playing with the placement of the locline to find a good location that wouldn't kick up a sandstorm and keep dead spots to a minimum.

The stock pump is crazy strong. My poor hammer is pretty unhappy with all the flow. I'm still moving things around, trying to get it right. My RW4 is turned down all the way and seems to be in a good spot. I honestly didn't know I could turn down the flow for the stock pump. I will look into it tonight.

how are the corals looking now? are you planning on hanging the nanobox quad? i like the slim profile right now

They are getting there. I had to light turned up too high at first and I bleached a couple things.

I'm planning on hanging it but I like it the way it is now as well. But that means I have to keep the glass top. I don't think the net one would be strong enough to hold the light.

Right now the glass top is nice because it's cutting down on evaporation while I get my ATO set up and dialed in. But it has a corner cut out of it on the side and I have lost fish to jumping with this kind of set up.

I'm in the planning stages of stocking right now while things settle down. Here's what I'm thinking:

Pair of onyx clowns

Helfichi firefish

Yellow headed jawfish or yasha goby with candycane pistol( I'm leaning more jawfish)

Yellow line goby(tank bred)

Horned Blenny(already have)

Not sure if I would have much room after that but if things seem to be going well I will be looking into other tiny gobies and fun little fish.

As you can see I have a few jumpers there so I will need a secure top

They are getting there. I had to light turned up too high at first and I bleached a couple things.

I'm planning on hanging it but I like it the way it is now as well. But that means I have to keep the glass top. I don't think the net one would be strong enough to hold the light.

Right now the glass top is nice because it's cutting down on evaporation while I get my ATO set up and dialed in. But it has a corner cut out of it on the side and I have lost fish to jumping with this kind of set up.

You know, at first I did not like the glass top. I made my own screen top, and in the process ended up breaking the glass top(long story). Now that I have the screen top, I kinda miss the glass top, though. I think I may try to make a new glass top for it, without the cutout you were talking about. I am pretty sure you can get glass cut at Lowes, and by what I see online, it would be under $10. I would just have to figure out how to go about beveling the edges myself. I'll let you know how it goes if I end up going down that route.

what about putting a wedding veil type thing over the glass cutout? i bought my dad the cadlight 4g and I like the glass top too. It has a similar corner cutout.

as for the fish stocking, u r making me super jealous =P. I would add a yellow coris wrasse or another free swimming fish for more movement.

I'm on the fence on another swimming fish. I've seen some full grown yellow coris wrasse and they can get big. I'm leaning cherub/flameback angel instead. Not sure yet. I'm not a huge fan of the color yellow. I would like to add something with some blue or purple instead. My other idea is a fathead sunburt anthias.

Things are still pretty unhappy.

My hammer is still pretty closed up due to flow. I kind of want to turn off the rw4 while things settle. Several my my SPS don't have much polyp extension. My frag from Mr. Microscope bleached and I think it might be dead :(

The bubble tips haven't been moved over yet (4) I pulled one and put it in as a canary in the mine scenario. We shall see. Last night I did some testing. My salinity was off so I fixed that. I also pulled the sponges before then get too nasty. I added some rock rubble and a bag of chemi pure blue.

Fish seem perfectly fine. I lost a serpent star and my harlequin shrimp won't come out, not even for a star fish :(

But this kind of stuff always happens when I transfer tanks. The last move (25 to 65) was the worst. This one is at least going smoother. Just a crappy time of year to loose things since shipping is out until spring.

Sorry to hear everything's still pissy.

Where did you get your decal? I'm kind of in love with it!!

Etsy! I got to choose the size and color I wanted. They have tons of cool stuff like that.

Etsy! I got to choose the size and color I wanted. They have tons of cool stuff like that.

Cool! I've never actually used that site... To me, most of the sellers seem pretentious and way over charge. I know it's hard to put a price on the time you spend on a project, but I'm pretty crafty myself so... Just my opinion... But that doesn't look like something I can duplicate, so I'll probably look into it! ;)

I LOVE etsy. I've gotten a lot of really neat stuff from there. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I can make jewelry all day but can't knit to save my life. So I wouldn't buy something like jewelry from there but thing I can't make I consider.

sorry to hear. hopefully things will turn around soon. moving tank is always a headache and a gamble.

You know one way or another it was going to happen. Either I was going to downsize or I would have had to move to the tank to redo the floors. I'm not too worried about it to be honest.

Things are starting to look a lot better. I think I finally have the flow figured out.

The harlequin shrimp started eating again and slowly my zoas are starting to open up. I'm also starting to get a little algae but it's to be expected. The satosa frag I got from Mr Microscope is not dead! Just bleached. I can see tiny pink polyps sticking out of it. My SPS don't have great polyp extension but they are opening up. I think I really shocked everything with the light. My sunset monti might be dead, but I'll leave it where it is and hopefully it comes around. That things has almost died several times and it always seems to come back.

Gena's lovely rock flower anemone made a run for it. I searched all through the rock with a flash light last night looking for it :( Hopefully it pops out again.

Also the nano box looks amazing on this tank!!! I think the 65 might have been too tall for it. I had it turned up but things never really popped like I wanted. It seems perfect for this tank.

Cool man, glad to hear things are starting to make a turn around for the better. Give it a couple more days and I'm sure everything will be happy! Hoe are you liking the tank itself? Gotta love that glass and those rounded corners!

Cool man, glad to hear things are starting to make a turn around for the better. Give it a couple more days and I'm sure everything will be happy! Hoe are you liking the tank itself? Gotta love that glass and those rounded corners!

The tank is just gorgeous. I love my Nuvo 8 but you can tell this tank is much nicer. I've been meaning to write up a review.

Ug to the wire to the back up float switch on the ATO busted. It won't work without it so it hasn't been hooked up yet. I've been trying to stay on top of salinity but my refractometer keeps getting off and my hygrometer also seems off. I re adjusted everything this weekend and tried again. I also tested everything else:

Salinity: 1.025

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate:0 (could be off, algae is growing and maybe taking up all the nitrate)

KH: 9

Not bad at all. I've lost a couple SPS, I think they just don't like the change. Other corals are opening slowly. I for sure bleached some zoas.

I also added an emerald crab for some hair algae clean up.

Archived