Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
natalia_la_loca

This tank is so beautiful. Does that crud on the rastas come off if you blow them with a turkey baster?

Very nice pictures. Benign neglect? Taking a page out of Richard Ross philosophy I see. :)

Need some fluffy Jasper on this new page. :)

:lol:

Since you asked, here's Jasper's baby picture. Fluffy enough?

19550355764_6f11926dbf_b.jpgJasper's Baby Picture by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This tank is so beautiful. Does that crud on the rastas come off if you blow them with a turkey baster?

Thanks! No, the crud looks like it's something growing on them, or something that's sloughing or flaking off.

Teeny - what are your NB settings?

Blues are 160 and whites are 80. I reduced the intensity a few weeks ago to try to help out the zoas. I don't think it really made much difference though, so I'll ramping it back up a bit. Usually I have them on 180/90.

Whatever level I use, though, I always keep the whites at 50% of the blues. That seems to give the best color balance in this tank.

Thanks! No, the crud looks like it's something growing on them, or something that's sloughing or flaking off.

That is adorable. Like almost cuteness overload adorable!!!!

Blues are 160 and whites are 80. I reduced the intensity a few weeks ago to try to help out the zoas. I don't think it really made much difference though, so I'll ramping it back up a bit. Usually I have them on 180/90.

Whatever level I use, though, I always keep the whites at 50% of the blues. That seems to give the best color balance in this tank.

Gotcha. Mine are at 140 blues, 125 whites and my zoas are stretching like crazy. What about your IM10 settings?

Gotcha. Mine are at 140 blues, 125 whites and my zoas are stretching like crazy. What about your IM10 settings?

Yeah, mine too, which is why I want to get it even higher. The rics are cupping a bit too. My IM10 is set to 200/90. Still working on getting that one a bit higher, especially in the whites. I had a problem where the rainbow acans all turned plain red, and backing the whites down seemed to help. Once my new acros get adjusted I'm going to try to bring it up very slowly.

Yeah, mine too, which is why I want to get it even higher. The rics are cupping a bit too. My IM10 is set to 200/90. Still working on getting that one a bit higher, especially in the whites. I had a problem where the rainbow acans all turned plain red, and backing the whites down seemed to help. Once my new acros get adjusted I'm going to try to bring it up very slowly.

Good to know! I'll start to up my LEDs again.

The acans looked really puffy the other day, so even though I just posted close ups of them recently, I thought it was nice to see how they're all growing together now. You can also see some of the unhappy zoas. Some are closed up after getting trampled by the sexy shrimp, but most of them stay the way they are in the picture all the time.

18865524063_0bc5c5ed26_b.jpgAcans with Unhappy Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I LOVE this shot! Everything looks so full and fluffy :)

SO FLUFFY omgomgomgomgomgomg:wub:

That is probably one of the fluffiest dogs I've seen

Good to know! I'll start to up my LEDs again.

Good luck!

I LOVE this shot! Everything looks so full and fluffy :)

SO FLUFFY omgomgomgomgomgomg:wub:

That is probably one of the fluffiest dogs I've seen

Thanks, yoshii!

Hmmmm, the mysteries of the zoas. Four hours after the lights came on today, almost every single zoa was open omgomgomg

20169989382_12e803126a_b.jpgZoas in Full Bloom by TeenyReef, on Flickr

My hammers/torches/frogspawn never take food. But I also buy the small 1-head ones cause they are cheapest. They never do very well and sort of slowly die.

Any tips on keeping them happy? Should I go for bigger ones? I wonder if, like my tiny RFA's that shrank and died, the 1-head guys are too young and fragile to make it in my tank?

I've found that a lot of LPS corals need to be trained to respond well to feeding. When I first got my hammers, I would place a frozen brine shrimp or mysis shrimp on the tentacles and nothing would happen. Usually the shrimp would get blown off right away. So I stop all the pumps and just let it sit there for fifteen or twenty minutes. After doing this for a few days, I noticed that they were starting to eat the shrimp, and now after doing it for months, they pretty much slurp it in in less than a minute. The key is to leave the pumps off so they have time to figure out what's going on.

I also broadcast feed a small pinch of reed roids with the filters off, and circulation pumps on, and let it go for about ten minutes, before I do any other feeding. That seems to get everybody in the tank interested and open, so they are more ready for the target feeding.

:wub: Teeny, I'm always awe-inspired by your photos and your tanks. You have such a gift!

Thanks, Stella. I'm loving your new tank, but I don't know how you will be able stand taking anything out of the old tank, since it looks so nice and full right now :)

YAAAAAY!!! Now, what has changed? (please please please don't say "nothing," lol)

Arrrgh....nothing. In fact, I haven't even done a water change since the day I went on vacation, so it's been almost two weeks. I'm afraid to do anything :scarry:

As of now it's been about two hours since I took that picture, and I can see that some of them have already closed up again. This is what I've been seeing for the last month - the later it gets in the day, the more they close up.

I've found that a lot of LPS corals need to be trained to respond well to feeding. When I first got my hammers, I would place a frozen brine shrimp or mysis shrimp on the tentacles and nothing would happen. Usually the shrimp would get blown off right away. So I stop all the pumps and just let it sit there for fifteen or twenty minutes. After doing this for a few days, I noticed that they were starting to eat the shrimp, and now after doing it for months, they pretty much slurp it in in less than a minute. The key is to leave the pumps off so they have time to figure out what's going on.

I also broadcast feed a small pinch of reed roids with the filters off, and circulation pumps on, and let it go for about ten minutes, before I do any other feeding. That seems to get everybody in the tank interested and open, so they are more ready for the target feeding.

Good info. I used to try spot feeding things like hammers/torches/frogspawn and the'd never take anything. But I would only leave the pumps off for about 5 minutes. Impatient. I will try leaving it for longer!

Good info. I used to try spot feeding things like hammers/torches/frogspawn and the'd never take anything. But I would only leave the pumps off for about 5 minutes. Impatient. I will try leaving it for longer!

Good luck! And don't hesitate to try it every day or two for a couple weeks. They'll learn eventually :)

natalia_la_loca

As of now it's been about two hours since I took that picture, and I can see that some of them have already closed up again. This is what I've been seeing for the last month - the later it gets in the day, the more they close up.

Do you ever test parameters early in the day and late in the evening to compare? Maybe there's a big change in alkalinity over the course of the day and that's making them mad.

Do you ever test parameters early in the day and late in the evening to compare? Maybe there's a big change in alkalinity over the course of the day and that's making them mad.

You know, that's a great question. I will have to check. My doser goes every six hours and alternates between alk and ca. Maybe I should only dose alk when it's dark.

natalia_la_loca

Definitely worth a try. FWIW, I had a period of zoa dieoff/failure to thrive in late fall, early winter that was directly related to overdosing of alk buffers.

Thanks, Stella. I'm loving your new tank, but I don't know how you will be able stand taking anything out of the old tank, since it looks so nice and full right now :)

It looks like a coral explosion disaster :lol: thanks Teeny!! I need to go head over to your 10 thread and check it out!

Definitely worth a try. FWIW, I had a period of zoa dieoff/failure to thrive in late fall, early winter that was directly related to overdosing of alk buffers.

I did a random spot check of my alk yesterday. It was 7.84, as compared to 7.73 at 11:30 PM the night before. I was surprised that there wasn't more difference, actually, since I know it goes down when the lights are off and goes up when they are on. But I have a late light cycle (11 AM to 11 PM, with ramps), so both of those times are when alk should be close to the highest levels.

I went ahead changed the dosing schedule to dose alk at 4 AM and 10 AM, during the time when alk is lowest. Ca now gets dosed at 4 PM and 10 PM.

My doser isn't very accurate at 1ml doses, so right now I dilute my dosing solution 2:1 with RODI, and dose 2ml at a time as pretty much the minimum amount I can dose at a time to stay accurate. I'm thinking of diluting 4:1 so that I can dose 2ml at a time four times a day instead of just twice a day. That way I won't be spiking the alk so much every time I dose.

My storm controller is set to simulate clouds periodically by dimming the whites for a few seconds at a time. When I was taking picutres the other day I got a change to get a few shots with just blue lights as well as the regular lights, purely by chance. I have definitely learned to pay attention to the lighting used in the pictures for online coral vendors :)

20132689606_da8cb373d8_b.jpgFull Lighting by TeenyReef, on Flickr

19537972543_f48dc97873_b.jpgBlues by TeenyReef, on Flickr

20150848802_967935b208_b.jpgFull Lights by TeenyReef, on Flickr

20150851832_7546e1d75d_b.jpgBlue Lights by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Awesome little tank! I don't know how you pico guys do it.

Thanks! Lots of frequent maintenance! Of course it really helps when a water change takes about three minutes :)

Archived