Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

I used to have excellent luck with Zoas in my previous tank and had amazing colonies, never had a single colony die, and growth was amazing, but haven't been as lucky with my new tank.

Old tank: T5 lighting, less maintenance, more live rock, no carbon, no skimming.

New tank: LED lighting, more maintenance, less live rock, carbon and skimming.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm back from vacation, tanned and tired :)

The tank did well while I was gone. The zoas have improved, although they aren't back to normal yet. Some of the colonies are still about 50% closed, but there seems to be some new growth and a few of the polyps are even getting bigger.

I think somebody noted that the weird bulges in the stalks of my really long zoas might be new growth. When I got back, sure enough, some new polyps had popped out where the bulges were. I'll post some before/after pics tomorrow night.

Tenny dose anything to ATO when you go holidays?

Yes, I've got an Tunze Nano ATO, and a Jebao doser for two part dosing. It really helps keep things stable. And it's less work :)

Other than the still recovering zoas, everything looked really healthy in the tank today. Benign neglect while I was on vacation really seems to have worked out well! :happydance:

Here's a new FTS I took tonight:

20104515336_32763ea8e9_b.jpg2015-07-29 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I took about a zillion pictures, and some of them actually turned out pretty good.

The pipe organ is bushier than it's been in a couple months:

19508160494_ed3368af64_b.jpgPipe Organ by TeenyReef, on Flickr

About half of this colony is open now:

20136334061_b9c7f3d914_b.jpgRecovering Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Green Banded Goby #1 decided to photobomb my picture of the cyphastrea:

20122767362_4f1065a4ca_b.jpgGBG #1 with cyphastrea by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I love these rastas. You can see crud all over the stalks, which seems to be on a lot of the zoas that are struggling. I still don't know what it is or if I should be doing anything other than letting them recover :(

20122772312_4bb52a077d_b.jpgRastas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The zoas in the middle of this picture are almost completely recovered. The ones on the left still look unhealthy and have stuff all over them, but there are new polyps growing out of the bulges in the stalks.

19944125309_9458eab7a1_b.jpgZoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Flash, the rusty goby, made a rare appearance near the rics :wub:

20122776932_7cca5d4652_b.jpgFlash by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The SPS are all growing like crazy. The rainbow monti is back to normal and has great PE now. The red mille is finally growing up instead of encrusting, although I'm not in love with the color. It was one of my first SPS corals, and at the time I didn't realize how close "red" is to "poop brown". Maybe someday when I get the lights brighter it will turn out to be beautiful, but for now it's a great example of why you should only keep corals you really love. Especially if you're like me and can't stand to get rid of anything :rolleyes:

19508174684_bd4cef1a11_b.jpgSPS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The acans are doing great, and the vice zoas are the only ones that haven't had any trouble. Which is a huge relief since they're some of my favorites.

19509835883_09daf351e8_b.jpgAcans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The duncans and the torch are starting to overflow their designated space (no surprise there). The yellow scroll coral is getting stung by the torch, so I'm probably going to have to find a new spot for it.

19944136409_16722b61bb_b.jpgDuncans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

19942794060_fb74de3ebc_b.jpgHammer by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I took some top down shots with the cell phone. For some reason, the cell phone renders the colors and focuses much better than the DSLR.

Edit: this is the third version of the top down FTS I've put in this post. It took several tries to adjust the white balance accurately.

20157778885_aa009b2816_b.jpg2015-07-30 Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I cannot even begin to express how much I love your tank. :wub: It looks so lush and filled with life. I really hope my LFS is able to find some green banded gobies, your picture of one just reminds me how much I enjoy them. Glad to see that your zoas are recovering, even if it is slowly.

Yep, it's definitely getting full, but I really like the challenge of making everything fit. Kind of like a bonsai tree :)

I think long term I will trim things back or remove overgrown corals and replace them with frags of themselves. I do have the 10g tank to put things in, and I do plan to upgrade that one eventually.

Here are a few more top down shots.

Still love those vice zoas :wub:

19970922230_a9bf9e7be7_b.jpgVice Zoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The softie side of the tank:

19970855548_31aac48e44_b.jpgLPS Goodness by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Closeup of the PE and new growth on the rainbow monti. You can also see that the red mille actually has green flesh. But the red polyps are still basically brown :mellow:

19972293319_681821f062_b.jpgRed Millepora and Rainbow Montipora by TeenyReef, on Flickr

i am surprised your corals play so nice together! my acans + rics did not get along.

Neither do mine! It's funny but I just posted about how my rics are bullying my acans in my 10g tank thread. In this tank, the acans are glued to the rocks right down at the sand bed level, and the rics are a couple inches above them, so they do just fine.

Oh, and the red mushroom you can see next to the red mille? I kill them off with boiling water every couple of months. They add great color and contrast, but they pretty much kill anything they touch :( But since they always grow back, I just think of pouring boiling water on them as something like doing regular pruning on a bush.

I do find it interesting that the blue sponge I got from Zia is growing up from beneath the rics and neither of them bother each other at all.

Your colors are so vivid. Just love it.

Thanks! I'm really happy with the balance of the colors I get from the Nanobox on this tank. I've thought about upgrading it to Dave's newer array but I can't really see a good reason to change it :)

Hmmmm, I think I should put the lid back on the tank before I got to bed :lol:

19539364674_7deb6bca46_b.jpgNerite Goes Exploring by TeenyReef, on Flickr

PS: just for the record, please note that the dendro is nice and fluffy in this picture. He never comes out when I'm taking pictures with the lights on B)

Other than the still recovering zoas, everything looked really healthy in the tank today. Benign neglect while I was on vacation really seems to have worked out well! :happydance:

Here's a new FTS I took tonight:

20104515336_32763ea8e9_b.jpg2015-07-29 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Wow teeny, your tank looks wonderful!

Teeny!! How do you keep your hammer happy??

Nothing special. They are in a spot where's there's enough flow to keep them constantly moving, and I feed each head a brine shrimp when I target feed the tank. I actually don't want them to grow too fast, so I skip feeding them a lot. I don't think I target feed them more than once or twice a week.

Nothing special. They are in a spot where's there's enough flow to keep them constantly moving, and I feed each head a brine shrimp when I target feed the tank. I actually don't want them to grow too fast, so I skip feeding them a lot. I don't think I target feed them more than once or twice a week.

My hammers/torches/frogspawn never take food. But I also buy the small 1-head ones cause they are cheapest. They never do very well and sort of slowly die.

Any tips on keeping them happy? Should I go for bigger ones? I wonder if, like my tiny RFA's that shrank and died, the 1-head guys are too young and fragile to make it in my tank?

Archived