Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

You probably had 'em and the amphipods had lunch.

Dang, I never thought of that :wacko: Now I hate 'em even more!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just thinking I NEVER see any amphipods in my tank. And then I remembered I have Pinky :D.

I wish I could figure out an easy way to get Fitzgerald out of the 10g tank. He'd love to have a little working vacation in this tank :)

Amphipods are the worst when you are running a coral only tank. They agitate my Zoas so bad! I'm thinking of doing a deep clean on the pico today. Would you recommend an 80% water change ?

I was just thinking I NEVER see any amphipods in my tank. And then I remembered I have Pinky :D.

This settles it. I need a PSW. I have amphipods all over, looks like the rock is moving some days.

I used to take a skewer and try to manually kill amphipods...it was not fun...haha

That's a little "Wax on, Wax off" obsessive! Good lesson in patience I"m sure!

So far no real change to the zoas. At least they aren't worse off than they were before. I'm going to recheck parameters later tonight.

Not much change in my parameters from last week:

Temp: 79
SG: 1.025
Nitrates: 2 (down from 3 last week)
Phosphate: 0 (using the low range Hanna checker)
Ca: 410 (down from 425 last week)
Kh: 7.34 (down from 7.56 last week)
Mag: 1260
I'm going to bring Ca and Kh up just a bit, but they aren't bad. Certainly not enough to stress the zoas.
I put in fresh ROX carbon but discontinued the GFO when I did the water change the other night, but the phosphate level is still zero. It will probably take a couple more days to see a change.

BLECH. i hate amphipods so much.

in my 3g there were no predators. well, neither

in my 8g. but they got nearly as big as my sexy

shrimps and were aggressive, stealing pellets

from the sexies!

i slayed most of them during the move, but i have

seen a few GIANT ones on occasion in 8g. but

i don't see them out or about much at all.

good luck, john!

The watermelons look healthy even if they are pissed, the pinkish ones don't look so hot.

Do you feed small particulate foods for the corals?

I agree. The watermelons look fine but most of them just don't open. I feed reef roids every other day. Sometimes I broadcast, sometimes I target feed.

BLECH. i hate amphipods so much.

in my 3g there were no predators. well, neither

in my 8g. but they got nearly as big as my sexy

shrimps and were aggressive, stealing pellets

from the sexies!

i slayed most of them during the move, but i have

seen a few GIANT ones on occasion in 8g. but

i don't see them out or about much at all.

good luck, john!

Thanks, Cindy! I'm curious to see what happens with so many amphipods removed from the tank now.

The zoas are pretty much the same as they have been. No real improvement, but they don't seem to be getting worse. I've been at work during the day all week, so tomorrow I'm hoping to see whether they are more open right after the lights come on.

I'm going on vacation for a week starting Sunday, so it will be interesting to see what shape they are in when I get back :wacko:

Well, I'm officially on vacation and won't be back till Sunday. I did small water changes on Saturday and Sunday before I left. The dog/tank sitter is going to feed a few pellets a day and nothing else. I hope the zoas recover while I'm gone :)

Yep, my new plan is to leave em alone. If they die then I figure out something else nice to put on those rocks :)

Great tank man. How is the jebao doser working for you? Has it been reliable and accurate on it's dosage?

Thanks! The jebao is working great. It's accurate as long as you dose at least 2ml at a time, so in my pico I dilute the dosing solution with RO water.

HarryPotter

Great tank man. How is the jebao doser working for you? Has it been reliable and accurate on it's dosage?

My jebao doser is leaking somehow.... Two of the four heads.

Dang, that stinks! Have you contacted them? I had one pump go bad and they mailed me a new one the same day I emailed them.

Have you checked the tubing. Over time those tubing start cracking and leaking

HarryPotter

Dang, that stinks! Have you contacted them? I had one pump go bad and they mailed me a new one the same day I emailed them.

It's almost new- like a month old. I'm thinking its a tubing problem? I'm going to take it out and run some tests first.

Have you checked the tubing. Over time those tubing start cracking and leaking

That's my theory- it's only a month old but the airline tubing I used was from my freshwater tank. Maybe caused Alk to precipitate

Archived