Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Good luck!

Thanks, yoshii!

Hmmmm, the mysteries of the zoas. Four hours after the lights came on today, almost every single zoa was open omgomgomg

20169989382_12e803126a_b.jpgZoas in Full Bloom by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Gorgeous! Didn't you remove the sexies from this tank? Maybe they close up at night from PTS! Mine close up at night too but I think that's their natural reaction. They are fully open during the day.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I missed the update 3 days ago, just now cruising through all the photos. Just wow, I agree with Dave, hands down best Pico out there.

Gorgeous! Didn't you remove the sexies from this tank? Maybe they close up at night from PTS! Mine close up at night too but I think that's their natural reaction. They are fully open during the day.

Thanks, Gena! Yes, I did take them out, but I still can't really say if that did any good. My zoas have always closed up at night and opened back up in the morning, like clockwork. What's new for the last month or two is that they close up halfway through the day and don't open back up until the following morning.

They do seem to be getting better, though, so I'm not changing anything else until they make a full recovery :)

I am glad that everything is doing so well. Your pics look great!

Thanks, Dawn. Congratulations on the impending baby seahorses :wub:

I missed the update 3 days ago, just now cruising through all the photos. Just wow, I agree with Dave, hands down best Pico out there.

Wow, thanks, Mark! :blush:

Just lovely!!

Thank you! Fingers crossed for your new house plans!

Thanks, Gena! Yes, I did take them out, but I still can't really say if that did any good. My zoas have always closed up at night and opened back up in the morning, like clockwork. What's new for the last month or two is that they close up halfway through the day and don't open back up until the following morning.

They do seem to be getting better, though, so I'm not changing anything else until they make a full recovery :)

That's good news! Did you do anything that you think is making them happier?

stunning!!!

That's good news! Did you do anything that you think is making them happier?

I tried a few things like removing the sexy shrimp, and reducing the lighting levels. But none of it had any effect for at least a week. But when I got back from vacation, things were improved, and they seem to be improving just a bit more every day now. I sure wish I knew why :unsure:

Glad to hear they are coming back. I swear that corals get "sick" and then bounce back. I had a frag of Undata for years, then for 4-5 months looked terrible. Then in one week it looked better than it ever had. Who knows, I don't think anyone will know!

-Dave

BRADYBUNCH7

Tank is looking amazing :wub:

Just wondering how you mount your coral? Since its such a small reef do you keep your frag plugs? Thanks

Just got back from a trip out of town and a busy weekend! New pictures soon :)

Glad that your tank/s are in 'picture' shape even though you were out of town. I hope I find my tanks in good shape after we go camping with our kids for a week, starting Sunday!

Wow, things have been busy and they won't be getting any better any time soon. Between now and the middle of next week, I have to work overtime on a new proposal at work every night, help my son with his eagle scout project, watch my youngest daughter while my wife and oldest daughter are on a trip, go to Colorado Springs and back in three days, and do my full time job. Oh, and take care of the tanks, hang out on NR, and post some pictures :)

So, to get a head start, here's a picture of the new dendro baby :wub: It's a little hard to see but it's just behind the main dendro head.

I've had this dendro almost as long as I've had the tank, and he's never really grown much. But over the last month, he suddenly started getting much fluffier and bigger, and the other day I noticed a new baby! I'm really excited by this - you just never know when a coral is going to decide to take off :)

20366479979_f589a00ff1_b.jpgBaby Dendro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And here's a quick and dirty FTS from the cell phone. Not much change since last time. The zoas are very slowly improving, although I do have a couple patches with some brown spots.

20559656911_f1b81986d8_b.jpg4g CADLights by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Tank is looking amazing :wub:

Just wondering how you mount your coral? Since its such a small reef do you keep your frag plugs? Thanks

I don't keep the frag plugs if I can avoid it, but it's taken me a long time to learn that you can take almost everything off of a frag plug. My birdsnest is actually on a frag plug, although you can't really tell any more. I even take zoas off their plugs now.

jedimasterben

I don't keep the frag plugs if I can avoid it, but it's taken me a long time to learn that you can take almost everything off of a frag plug. My birdsnest is actually on a frag plug, although you can't really tell any more. I even take zoas off their plugs now.

This. #thepluglifedidntchooseme

Full to the brim! Looking good for sure! Colorado Springs- enjoy- I am not sure of any fish stores that way but I am sure there are

Wow, those corals are really stuffed in there :)

Looks great!

Thanks! Exactly what you were talking about in your tank thread about what happens when little frags get a chance to grow up together :)

This. #thepluglifedidntchooseme

:lol: I was scared to death the first time I scraped zoas off their plug.

Full to the brim! Looking good for sure! Colorado Springs- enjoy- I am not sure of any fish stores that way but I am sure there are

Thanks! Don't think I'll have time to visit any stores anyway. I fly in Sunday night, spend all day Monday with work visits, drink beer with coworkers Monday night, and fly back first thing Tuesday. But it's a beautiful place to visit B)

Glad that your tank/s are in 'picture' shape even though you were out of town. I hope I find my tanks in good shape after we go camping with our kids for a week, starting Sunday!

Have a great trip! I love camping but we haven't been able to work in a trip in years.

Tank is looking great. :)

Thank you!

Nano sapiens

:lol: I was scared to death the first time I scraped zoas off their plug.

I just whittle down the plug with a pair of sturdy dikes until I get to the diameter of the Zoas and then glue to the live rock.. That way the Zoas are not injured. After 4-6 months it's hard to tell the plug remnant is even there.

Wow, things have been busy and they won't be getting any better any time soon. Between now and the middle of next week, I have to work overtime on a new proposal at work every night, help my son with his eagle scout project, watch my youngest daughter while my wife and oldest daughter are on a trip, go to Colorado Springs and back in three days, and do my full time job. Oh, and take care of the tanks, hang out on NR, and post some pictures :)

So, to get a head start, here's a picture of the new dendro baby :wub: It's a little hard to see but it's just behind the main dendro head.

I've had this dendro almost as long as I've had the tank, and he's never really grown much. But over the last month, he suddenly started getting much fluffier and bigger, and the other day I noticed a new baby! I'm really excited by this - you just never know when a coral is going to decide to take off :)

20366479979_f589a00ff1_b.jpgBaby Dendro by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And here's a quick and dirty FTS from the cell phone. Not much change since last time. The zoas are very slowly improving, although I do have a couple patches with some brown spots.

20559656911_f1b81986d8_b.jpg4g CADLights by TeenyReef, on Flickr

How exciting. Both the baby and the eagle project. My oldest is working on his as well. Good luck to your son. I hope it goes well.

Archived