inTank Media Baskets

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the McDonald's quote is quite appropriate here, because Im Lovin' It!

:lol: Thanks!

I hate leaving pictures of shriveled corals as the last thing on my thread, so here's an updated FTS. It's been less than 24 hours but everything is all puffed back up looking happy again :)

I put the green ric on a frag plug and set it in the front corner so it could get used to the frag plug. But it's already fighting with the duncan, so I'll have to move it soon :(

21646399221_74c0fb498e_b.jpgCADLights 4g FTS - 2015-09-22 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Can you make my tank grow like yours? :wub::naughtydance:

Sometimes I'm not sure how I get my tank to grow like mine, but thanks! And besides, your names are way cooler :)

I just love your tank. It makes me want to start up a pico

Doooo ittttt! And thanks :blush:

I don't think I've ever posted a picture of my big blue mushroom because it hangs out in the back corner of the tank, in the dark. If it gets much light at all, it changes from purplish blue to a truly ugly reddish purple. But I've never had the heart to throw it out since it's one of the oldest corals in this tank, and it's never tried to have babies and take over the world.

The other day I noticed that it's managed to jump completely off it's frag plug in the bottom of the sand, up onto one of the rocks about an inch overhead. I think it did it my anchoring to the rock with it's edge, letting go of the plug from it's foot, and basically chinning itself up onto the rock. I've got to give it big points for adaptability! :D

21478644839_d5c33351ae_b.jpgBlue Mushroom by TeenyReef, on Flickr

A non-fish-inclined friend of mine was over the other day looking at my tanks. In one of them is a frag rack of zoas. She asked me if the zoas would jump off the frag plugs once they were "grown up" and move to where they wanted in the tank.

I succeeded in not laughing out loud when she asked that! :)

However, it looks like your mushie wants to make me look like the fool!

In other news, I like the zoas on the right.

A non-fish-inclined friend of mine was over the other day looking at my tanks. In one of them is a frag rack of zoas. She asked me if the zoas would jump off the frag plugs once they were "grown up" and move to where they wanted in the tank.

I succeeded in not laughing out loud when she asked that! :)

However, it looks like your mushie wants to make me look like the fool!

In other news, I like the zoas on the right.

I saw that and had to laugh! But of course rics are notorious for doing exactly that so I guess it's actually not unreasonable :)

Speaking of which, the green ric detached from his frag plug after last night and drifted off behind the dendros, where they proceeded to sting half of it to death :(

So now I've done what I should have done in the first place: put the ric in a little cup with the frag plug. Hopefully it will recover and attach to the plug on it's own in a few days.

Here's a top down shot from feeding time tonight:

21656315442_1b30248367_b.jpg4G CADLights Top Down - 2015-09-23 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've been trying to feed the zoas almost every night and it really seems to be helping. Nearly all of them are opening up every day, and they are starting to spread again. The rastas in particular have really started to cover their rock, compared to the small number I had to begin with.

21549326450_bc8f38a391_b.jpg20150926-untitled-067.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I tried playing around with bokeh using my 35mm prime lens today. I like how this one turned out although I'm not sure about having the sexy shrimp's butt literally being the focus of the shot :lol: Stupid little photobomber :rolleyes:

21550467449_09ccb47c2d_b.jpgSexy Shrimp Butt by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I tried playing around with bokeh using my 35mm prime lens today. I like how this one turned out although I'm not sure about having the sexy shrimp's butt literally being the focus of the shot :lol: Stupid little photobomber :rolleyes:

The shrimp would have it no other way...

Love the new pictures. What have you been feeding the tank lately? It seems to be working.

Thanks! I feed mysis shrimp to the acans, rics, and softies. The zoas and SPS get a cocktail made up of reef roids and frozen calanus shrimp. Sometimes I add some frozen rotifers too. I broadcast a little pinch of reef roids to get things started, then I use a pipette to target feed the cocktail so that everybody gets plenty.

Water change night tonight - I'm still thinking about what to put on the upper right corner where I took out the monticap. Maybe some kind of branching acro but I don't have any frags that I'm willing to lose if they don't do well. Hmmmm...

After removing the biggest green mushroom from the middle of the rics, the remaining rics have already almost completely filled in the gap :)

21784874592_28b9335491_b.jpgRics by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The blue ric is growing new polyps where I trimmed it. It's been about a week, so that's a nice quick recovery.

21608598560_dd4474ac1d_b.jpgNew Growth by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I took a new picture of the Rainbow/jedi mind trick/fire polyp undata monti to compare notes with Patback (and Harry), trying ID this thing. I've never gotten a decent picture of it, though. The fluorescent green always blows out the camera, even with the exposure compensation way down.

21608374318_aab3c13531_b.jpg"Rainbow" Monti by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And finally, there are two new dendro heads! omgomgomg

The second new one is hard to see, it's just a little bump on the left side of the main head.

I've had this dendro for well over a year. For some reason, just in the last month, it's decided that it's finally time to grow up :D

21784876242_6a9f521839_b.jpgDendro Babies by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've ordered the new fan/control upgrade from Dave for the Nanobox mini tide. I think Dave will have them ready by mid October or so. I'm looking forward to upgrading the fan because the speed is controlled to match the lighting intensity. That means less noise at night :)

I've thought about upgrading to the V3 array with better LEDs and more channels, but the light looks so nice already I'm afraid I'll only mess it up. So I'm not going to fix what's not broke.

In the meantime, I'm also considering getting a custom acrylic top from Smiz, who made a beautiful one for Rehype. The aluminum frame top I have now actually blocks a fair amount of light near the top of the tank on the edges. A clear acrylic top might make a big difference. With any luck, the GSP will start growing right out of the tank :D

I've thought about upgrading to the V3 array with better LEDs and more channels, but the light looks so nice already I'm afraid I'll only mess it up. So I'm not going to fix what's not broke.

Which version of the array is used? Does it have lime or was it before that? If it was before, then I would definitely do the upgrade to it - lime's inclusion really makes a positive impact!

Which version of the array is used? Does it have lime or was it before that? If it was before, then I would definitely do the upgrade to it - lime's inclusion really makes a positive impact!

I've got the V2 array, but I can't remember for sure whether that came with the limes? I'm pretty sure it did but it's too bright to check right now :blink:

I got a new camera today omgomgomg

So I took some purely gratuitous acan macro shots, because, well, who doesn't like acan macros?

21862107771_0c69dcf5fb_b.jpgBlue Acan by TeenyReef, on Flickr

21664447270_50560e06b9_b.jpgRed Acans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Jasper spent some time at his absolute favorite activity in the whole world - chasing the laser pointer around on the floor. He is obsessed with lights and shadows. I'll try to upload a video later, but here's the happy dog after we finished :wub:

20401046353_f19633a607_b.jpgJasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Edit: here's the video:

I :wub: Jasper! I fell behind on your threads! YIKES!!!

jedimasterben

I've got the V2 array, but I can't remember for sure whether that came with the limes? I'm pretty sure it did but it's too bright to check right now :blink:

I think it did. If you can get a shot of the LEDs when they're barely on I can tell for sure :)

The V2 array did not have lime. The addition of the lime is what made V3.

Congrats on the dendro babies! Mine dendro eats like a pig, but has never shown any interest in making babies. Maybe some day...

And smiz you are right, you'd be crazy not to love acan macros!

jedimasterben

The V2 array did not have lime. The addition of the lime is what made V3.

V3 was the change from Rebel ES on the primary white/royals to Luxeon T.

Archived