Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 4g PicoParadise

teenyreef

Green banded goby! Love these guys.... That pipe organ coral looks beautiful too!

Thanks! It's always been one of my favorites.

I am with Bunster, I really think the pipe organ is pretty and NO, please don't name the GBG! It's too cute.

OK, I will stick with GBG #1 and GBG #2! :lol:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime I see a FTS of this tank:

:o:o:o:bowdown::wub:

:blush: Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to do a new FTS this Friday, if I can get off work.

With feedback like that, how can I not post more pictures?

Quick and dirty top down from last night. Not everything is open but since the last shot I posted was right after a water change, this one looks a lot better :D

20916001459_8d8f20245e_b.jpg4g Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Zoas in the middle of the tank:

21090095982_d2d56be94d_b.jpgZoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

More zoas :)

21107871181_eb391f2a13_b.jpg20150830-untitled-028.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And still more zoas. I love the rastas :wub:

20912080030_0b9e865144_b.jpgRastas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Those duncans on the right look incredible!

Also, that's like the cleanest in-tank powerhead I've ever seen :lol: Do you clean it with every water change or something??

Those duncans on the right look incredible!

Also, that's like the cleanest in-tank powerhead I've ever seen :lol: Do you clean it with every water change or something??

Thanks!

It's a Hydo Flo water deflector, and it doesn't usually look like that :D

It was covered in hair algae and coralline until a few days ago. I gave it a good vinegar soak while I was cleaning the back chambers and the pump.

Ben posted how to make a DIY version of Coral Snow recently. Under the general principle that anything that's good for Ben has got be good for me, I ordered some of my own Calcium Carbonate.

I got my little baggie from Amazon today. My daughter in college shares my Amazon account so she got copied on the shipment notification. She sent me a text asking "Is this cocaine?"
21123624095_67e7f035d5_b.jpg2015-09-03 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Isn't Amazon great? You can get anything there :D

Anyway...here's my 4g tank right after dosing. I'll post an update after it clears.
20501030764_77d16b8987_b.jpg20150903_191505.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's the link to Ben's thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364821-diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity/

Can you believe I still have four out of the five I got from the Ebay guy? That was a fantastic deal B)

That's awesome! I only have 2 left. But they are a pair and I see babies in the tank occasionally. One of these days I have to try to raise them :).

Here's the duncans this morning, nice and fluffy :)

21022049481_bce97d7445_b.jpgDuncans by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Yummy duncans, I love me some duncans gimmee moar

:blush: Thanks! Hopefully I'll get to do a new FTS this Friday, if I can get off work.

With feedback like that, how can I not post more pictures?

Quick and dirty top down from last night. Not everything is open but since the last shot I posted was right after a water change, this one looks a lot better :D

20916001459_8d8f20245e_b.jpg4g Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Zoas in the middle of the tank:

21090095982_d2d56be94d_b.jpgZoas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

More zoas :)

21107871181_eb391f2a13_b.jpg20150830-untitled-028.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And still more zoas. I love the rastas :wub:

20912080030_0b9e865144_b.jpgRastas by TeenyReef, on Flickr

the top down is amazing great work

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Ben posted how to make a DIY version of Coral Snow recently. Under the general principle that anything that's good for Ben has got be good for me, I ordered some of my own Calcium Carbonate.

I got my little baggie from Amazon today. My daughter in college shares my Amazon account so she got copied on the shipment notification. She sent me a text asking "Is this cocaine?"21123624095_67e7f035d5_b.jpg2015-09-03 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Isn't Amazon great? You can get anything there :D

Anyway...here's my 4g tank right after dosing. I'll post an update after it clears.20501030764_77d16b8987_b.jpg20150903_191505.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here's the link to Ben's thread: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364821-diy-kz-coral-snow-with-97-purity/

LOL! :)

That's awesome! I only have 2 left. But they are a pair and I see babies in the tank occasionally. One of these days I have to try to raise them :).

I see some fry in my 10g tank every once in a while. I've assumed they are from the clown fish but I guess I have know way of knowing...

Stunning

Yummy duncans, I love me some duncans gimmee moar

the top down is amazing great work

Thank you! I really like the duncans. I'd like to frag them but while they keep growing new heads, they aren't getting any length on the branches. So I've been afraid to cut anything off.

If they keep growing the way they have, though, I won't have any choice but to frag them just so they will still fit in the tank :mellow:

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. Can you guess from looking this picture?

21128662265_1772918eb0_b.jpgOops by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Yep, I put the reagent right into the checker, instead of the glass vial :rant:

Fortunately, I was able to rinse it out and dry it carefully with a rolled up paper towel. It seems to be working fine still. Whew :rolleyes:

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Well, it had to happen sooner or later. Can you guess from looking this picture?

21128662265_1772918eb0_b.jpgOops by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Yep, I put the reagent right into the checker, instead of the glass vial :rant:

Fortunately, I was able to rinse it out and dry it carefully with a rolled up paper towel. It seems to be working fine still. Whew :rolleyes:

We've all done at some point (except for me cause I'm to poor for a checker).

Jasper spent some time at his absolute favorite activity in the whole world - chasing the laser pointer around on the floor. He is obsessed with lights and shadows. I'll try to upload a video later, but here's the happy dog after we finished :wub:

20401046353_f19633a607_b.jpgJasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Jasper is so handsome. My wife had shelties when she was a kid. If it wasn't for her bad allergies, we would have 2 shelties right now. They are smart, loving, obedient, and gentle. And fur shedding machines =P.

September FTS:

21114337606_a638a5316a_b.jpgCADLights 4G FTS - 2015-09-04 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The water cleared up nicely from last night :)

Arrgh, I missed that line of water spilled down the front on the left side :angry:

We've all done at some point (except for me cause I'm to poor for a checker).

This is the only one of three Hanna checkers I use all the time. The Calcium one never gives the same reading twice in a row, and the phophorus one works fine but is such a pain to use that I only check about once a month.

Every time I check Alk using one of my other test kits (Salifert, API), they match the Hanna pretty much spot on. So the Hanna doesn't really give a more accurate reading. But I do like not having to count drops :)

Roflcopter

Epic

Yeah, the really funny thing is, almost every time I do the test, I think to myself "Wouldn't it suck if I put the reagent in the wrong place?"

I was gonna say an upgrade to Windows 10 :)

Well, yeah, that too. But I did that months ago.

Jasper is so handsome. My wife had shelties when she was a kid. If it wasn't for her bad allergies, we would have 2 shelties right now. They are smart, loving, obedient, and gentle. And fur shedding machines =P.

Thanks, Ninja. And Jasper says thanks too. Along with Mollie, our other Sheltie.

And yeah, every summer when it gets hot, pretty much the whole undercoat come out in clumps. Sometimes it seems like there's enough fur for a whole 'nother dog.

It's hard to say in such a small tank. It has to be pretty cloudy for the water not to look clear to begin with, and I also run Rox carbon which helps keep the water clear too.

I'm curious about some of the reports of using coral snow as a way of improving the transport of additives like amino acids but mixing the additives in with the snow before adding it to the tank. I may try it just to see what happens, but it won't be very scientific ;)

Ok, FTS complete, tank fed, rocks blown off, sand stirred, glass cleaned. I'm off to my parents' house on the eastern shore in Virginia for the long weekend. Time to enjoy some sand, sun, and beer :)

OK, so I ate too much, drank too much, and slept too much. But I did help my Dad cut down a tree so I think the weekend was a total success :)

Work was crazy when I got back so I'm just now getting caught up, though.

The dogs enjoyed hanging outside as usual:

21303063602_4de75f5a35_b.jpgMolly and Jasper by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And we had some nice sunsets:

21125818828_055cd4082c_b.jpgSunset by TeenyReef, on Flickr

When I got back, the tank was still in good shape, and I treated all the corals to some mysis and calanus shrimp. Nom nom nom :)

21125622230_c5bbf6efc5_b.jpgFeeding Time by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Archived