Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to wait? :D

Patience is a virtue and I am all about building character in my friends, ha ha! Actually my lights are off now and I have a lot of obligations to fulfill today and tomorrow. Tomorrow night I should be able to get pics.

20150415_161155_zpsa0c91509.jpg

20150506_161904_zps9c19d53b.jpg

I took these with the tablet so sorry that the quality is not there. Also it's afternoon with lots of light so the FTS is on an angle to cut down glare from the picture windows.

20150506_161935_zps3248411e.jpg

My poor dog is about to perish from hunger because of me loading these pics. LOL I am teaching him patience as well!

I bought new T5 bulbs for the seahorse tank. I have always loved the color of the reef tank better which has a 10k, a coral daylight, a purple and a actinic. The seahorse tank's fixture came with 2 10k s and and 2 actinics. It has always looked yellowed to me. Now that I look at the photos I took yesterday I realize that the seahorse tank always looks better in photos. I hope that is due to it being a rectangular tank rather than a bowfront and not the color of the bulbs.

I bought new T5 bulbs for the seahorse tank. I have always loved the color of the reef tank better which has a 10k, a coral daylight, a purple and a actinic. The seahorse tank's fixture came with 2 10k s and and 2 actinics. It has always looked yellowed to me. Now that I look at the photos I took yesterday I realize that the seahorse tank always looks better in photos. I hope that is due to it being a rectangular tank rather than a bowfront and not the color of the bulbs.

Can you get ATI bulbs? I think you would like coral+ which has 10K, Purple+, and the Blue+ spectrum in a single bulb. In the first 2 pictures above you can see all the color in the hammer that would really stand out with more blue light. The trick is to get a lot of blue in the tank and then fool your eyes by adding some green and a little red so it looks white enough but the colors still stand out.

Regardless, I think your tanks look incredibly healthy natural. :)

And seriously, those were taken with a tablet? I need to get me a tablet with a camera that good!

Can you get ATI bulbs? I think you would like coral+ which has 10K, Purple+, and the Blue+ spectrum in a single bulb. In the first 2 pictures above you can see all the color in the hammer that would really stand out with more blue light. The trick is to get a lot of blue in the tank and then fool your eyes by adding some green and a little red so it looks white enough but the colors still stand out.

I can't get ATI bulbs at my lfs but I have always wanted to try them. I should order them online. It's just that I get a generous employee discount because I worked for the lfs for 12 years.

Regardless, I think your tanks look incredibly healthy natural. :)

Thanks Mark!

And seriously, those were taken with a tablet? I need to get me a tablet with a camera that good!

It's a Samsung Galaxy tablet. The resolution is pretty good but it can be tricky holding it steady enough to get crisp pictures. It's really handy though to snap the pic, email it to photobucket, and then copy and paste in my post.

So I finally got around to putting the new bulbs in the fixture for the seahorse tank. It is suppose to be the same colors that are in the reef tank but now that they are in, the actinic bulb is a glowing blue, more like what I picture a blue + bulb to look like. The bulb is flickering also which leads me to believe that it is not an actinic and probably not new either. I know sneaky customers sometimes change out an old bulb for a new one if they think they can and that's what I think happened. The cool thing is I like the color even better than what is in the reef tank.

20150513_122419_zps836a8cce.jpg

Here is a pic of the seahorse tank with just the new blue bulbs. I will try to take a pic with the white and blue bulbs when they are all on.

Fighting a bit of cyano in the seahorse tank. I am going to try reducing the photo phase by an hour. It could be the new blue bulb, (that I suspect is not actually new)too. I probably should go to the lfs and buy another actinic since they don't usually carry the blue +.

The same as in good? Yes. I like the way the new bulbs make the tank look.

I like the new bulb too. I think my pics look the same as in the same view. I am deciding that it's the fault of using a tablet that is limited in what it can do. I tried some close ups of the ponies but they are always blurry.

Your seahorses look so fat and happy! I love seeing your photos of them!

Thanks Felicia. They are both chow hounds and love to eat. Sometimes Adam has more on his mind than food though! LOL

Today I did a deep clean of both tanks before my WC. That included scraping and brushing all the tank surfaces and powerheads, basting the rockwork and stirring up the sandbeds. I also added new carbon as I have been negligent about that and it is probably 3 weeks old. I always love the crystal crispness of the water when fresh carbon has been added, (almost star fire like).

The seahorse tank gets little granular deposits, (that look like salt) on the glass and powerheads. The reef tank does not get it even though the tanks share water. Does anyone know what that is?

Forgot you had pipefish, lets get an update on them! They are really cool.

They are really cool and I don't give them a fair share to be in the 'lime light'. I still have the original 2 that I bought with the seahorses. I finally settled on names: Abraham and Sarah, (so I guess I should not expect a spawn any time soon). They are super easy to care for. They eat whatever the seahorses will eat but they don't need much food. They are photo bombers too because they are out in the open most of the time. Thanks for asking about them.

20150524_174559-1_zpscbdca7a3.jpg

Here's their 10 seconds of fame!

lol soo many lil bristle worm arms in that pic

Those are micro brittle stars and yes, there must be thousands of them. The tank does have a few bristle worms too but not many. I try to suck them out when I can.

Archived