Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

This is a charming courtship dance of my seahorse pair. I love how Eve holds Adam tightly with her tail. I did not see an egg exchange but my gut tells me that Adam is now pregnant!

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words. What size tank did you have and what kind and how many seahorses did you have?

This was all I had at the time I had to get rid of them because we were moving I really do miss them.

tank:14 gallon biocube

mods:running cheato and less flow rate

live stock: 2 kuda seahorses, 60 random snail,5 hermits

corals:

zoas

kenya tree

xenia

green star ployp

mushroom

This is a charming courtship dance of my seahorse pair. I love how Eve holds Adam tightly with her tail. I did not see an egg exchange but my gut tells me that Adam is now pregnant!

Awwwwww, they are so cute :wub:

20150601_210235_zpsccf23440.jpg

A pic of the macros with just the blue lights. There is dragon's breath at far left, feather caulerpa in backround, red grape caulerpa and red titan in foreground, the large flowy rose petal in back right, a green fern like macro and the halimeda in the front right.

I love these macros. I've never had much luck growing macros in my tank, maybe just not enough nutrients. Even the chaeto in my little media basket grows very slowly.

Awwwwww, they are so cute :wub:

I love these macros. I've never had much luck growing macros in my tank, maybe just not enough nutrients. Even the chaeto in my little media basket grows very slowly.

You are probably right about the lack of nutrients. Of course with seahorses that is never the issue, in fact just the opposite is often a problem. Still even with the ponies pooping, (oops I mean fertilizing) up the water, and doing mega water changes, I still dose with iron, magnesium and occasionally iodine.

Love the new video! Seahorses are so sweet. Are you still giving any babies to the store to raise? Also, I love how lush the tank was looking in that video.

Love the new video! Seahorses are so sweet. Are you still giving any babies to the store to raise? Also, I love how lush the tank was looking in that video.

They are sweet and express such tenderness towards one another. It brings out the romantic in me.

Yes, I plan to email the store if Adam is pregnant but I probably won't know for sure until the 13th-14th. It should be obvious by then. He delivers on the 19th day so his babies should arrive on my hubby and I's anniversary, June 20th. Well that is if they don't come sooner because summer is warmer and the fry develop faster.

I have never had such good luck with macros before but that definitely helps the lush factor. The corals are doing pretty good too. It's probably all the WCs I do plus dosing iron, magnesium and iodine on occasion. O yeah, and who can forget grade A seahorse fertilizer!

Eve did not come out to eat last night or this morning. I was feeling concerned so I went looking for her. Here it appears the poor thing was tangled in the caulerpa and cheato. She swam out and is eating enriched brine shrimp so I am pretty sure she will be fine.

Nanofreak79

What an elegant tank. Awesome ponies! Video was cool too, I liked that. Didn't know I wasn't following you, fixed it.

Hubby and I rode our motorcycles to a lfs that is closing. We got some real deals. Frags for $5, and everything was 40% off. I bought a yellow cucumber, a purple sponge, a birdsnest, what I think is a orange cap, and 2 other sps that I don't even know what they are. They had an acro with blue tips for $15 but I decided against any finicky corals. I will try to take pics tomorrow if I get everything mounted.

What an elegant tank. Awesome ponies! Video was cool too, I liked that. Didn't know I wasn't following you, fixed it.

Thanks nanofreak, that is very nice to hear!

Because we got home late from the lfs and the lights were about to go off I just left the corals in their bags floating in the aquarium all night. They need a fairly long acclimation time because seahorse tanks are kept so cool, 7-10 degrees lower than most reefs. I was a little worried about doing that but they were fine. This morning I dipped them and acclimated them to my ph and such. They are placed but not mounted. I will watch them a day or so to make sure they like where I have put them.

These are my new corals and cucumber except one that I couldn't get a good pic of. I always wanted to try a birdsnest and I am guessing this is a green birdsnest. It is pretty low in the tank but I don't think green birdsnest need as much light. It the first pic an orange cap?

These are my new corals and cucumber except one that I couldn't get a good pic of. I always wanted to try a birdsnest and I am guessing this is a green birdsnest. It is pretty low in the tank but I don't think green birdsnest need as much light. It the first pic an orange cap?

Probably an orange cap, but you'll need to get closer and clearer, without over exposing, to see for sure.

Good job staying away from moody corals. :)

Probably an orange cap, but you'll need to get closer and clearer, without over exposing, to see for sure.

Good job staying away from moody corals. :)

Although i love the way you sps keepers tanks look, I figured I don't want to be having to watch my alkalinity all the time. Even now with what I got I am worried that my alk and CA usage will go up when they start growing. I am hoping changing to a reef salt instead of IO will keep me from having to dose too much.

Looks great! The new mystery coral could be a yellow scroll coral, but I think from the texture it's likely an orange cap. The YSC has bigger polyps that are pretty easy to see even from a distance.

Looks great! The new mystery coral could be a yellow scroll coral, but I think from the texture it's likely an orange cap. The YSC has bigger polyps that are pretty easy to see even from a distance.

Yep, I really think it's an orange cap. Actually, I don't care as long as it grows. Hey, for $5 minus 40% it's good whatever it is!

You weren't kidding you have a pretty good sized BTA there! glad you found eve :happydance:

I love nems, especially BTAs but seriously, these guys have hogged up half my tank! Nothing much even grows under them because they shade everything below them. I would sell them if my clown didn't love them so much.

I was so happy when I found Eve. She seems fine so I don't know if she was stuck or just hunting? I thinned the macros anyway.

I have been busy this morning with the tanks. I did my usual Monday morning WC but also siphoned the sand in the seahorse tank in an effort to get rid of the cyano. I will know better when the lights come on if it's improved.

I mounted corals in the reef tank because the hermits kept knocking them down. Unfortunately when I was mounting the birdsnest I broke the tip top of it off...oops! I decided to mount the tip I broke too, what did I have to lose? I am fairly happy with everything but I really had no way of knowing if the corals will be happy until they have been in their spots awhile. Time will tell.

I have a bit of an aquarium disaster on my hands. My ancient chiller is leaking. I need to take it off line because I can't risk what is now a drip turning into a full blown all out gush that would lower the sump and burn up the pump, not mention cause the ATO to lower the salinity. I am so glad we got AC 2 months ago or things would not even be manageable. I have an ice bag in the seahorse tank and the lights off for the evening. It looks like I can not get a chiller before the 15th or so. Yikes, I hope I can keep the seahorses ok til then.

Archived