inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi again I was wondering if it's better to have a thinner send bed or thicker in a seahorse tank? Thanks

Oops so sorry flobees, I didn't see this post until now! My apologies! I have a shallow sand bed in my seahorse fuge because of how dirty seahorses are. They put such a heavy bioload on their tanks that the sand start to hold phosphates, nitrates and detritus. I guess most SH keepers actually replace their sand beds annually. A lot of keepers use bare bottom tanks too but then some of the seahorse safe cuc like Nassarius snails are not too happy about that. You don't want anything that can trap detritus, because then pathogenic bacteria can get a foothold and make your ponies sick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0gNYSb48I

Ok, so I am hoping this is a link to the video I took this afternoon of the ponies eating enriched brine shrimp. The tank doesn't look as crystal clear because I did a deep clean and WC, (which accounts for the film of sand all over everything!). It does show each pony and pipefish pretty well though.:-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz0gNYSb48I

Ok, so I am hoping this is a link to the video I took this afternoon of the ponies eating enriched brine shrimp. The tank doesn't look as crystal clear because I did a deep clean and WC, (which accounts for the film of sand all over everything!). It does show each pony and pipefish pretty well though.:-)

it works, but if you use the desktop link it can be embedded here.

Love how full of life the tank looks.

it works, but if you use the desktop link it can be embedded here.

Love how full of life the tank looks.

How do you use a desktop link? Can you do that with a tablet? And thanks, I like that aspect of this tank too!

How do you use a desktop link? Can you do that with a tablet?

Maybe. Usually the tablet browser will have a menu item that says something like "show desktop version" or show desktop site. If you are using the tablet's youtube app then I'm not sure ... perhaps there is a share button in the app that allows switching the desktop? The link worked for me and automatically switched to the desktop version.

Maybe. Usually the tablet browser will have a menu item that says something like "show desktop version" or show desktop site. If you are using the tablet's youtube app then I'm not sure ... perhaps there is a share button in the app that allows switching the desktop? The link worked for me and automatically switched to the desktop version.

I never saw that but that doesn't mean it's not there. I can't post using the youtube app, I have to always go to chrome and put the youtube address in and get it that way. I am so pathetic with this technical stuff, LOL.

El Diablo and DeVil are growing so fast that they always look a little thin. Since I have fed live food the last 2 days I gave them a 3rd feeding of frozen mysis to fatten them up a bit. Adam and Eve took advantage of the x-tra chow too.

Thanks for the reply. Knew you were either busy or missed it. Great video. Do you have a air bubble in the tank? is it good to have them? Thanks again

Thanks for the reply. Knew you were either busy or missed it. Great video. Do you have a air bubble in the tank? is it good to have them? Thanks again

Thanks! Yes I do have an open air line in the tank. My understanding of why other seahorse keepers do it is because seahorses have high respiration so they need a lot of oxygen in the water. Also it creates surface agitation for gas exchange. My small Rio pumps are near the bottom of the tank to keep particles in suspension so I needed more surface agitation. It does crud up the cover on my T5 fixture though.

:o They got big fast!!!

Awesome!

Yes they did! (kind of like my kids). Sometimes I have to look twice to figure out who is who.

So I came home from a pleasant motorcycle ride with my hubby to an unpleasant situation in the reef tank. One of my 2 RBTAs split again and the new nem was sucked in a koralia. I couldn't get it unstuck and it looked pretty rough and I did not want to chance it dying. As it is my clam is closed up and Clammy never closes. So I turned off the return pump and have done a 10g WC in the reef. Now it is super cloudy from me stirring up the sand. Hopefully when I turn on the return pump and the tank clears everything will be ok with both tanks.

WC is finished and it was closer to 15g. Clammy isn't open but he's not shut tight either. From moving him and his rock I am sure he is one very stressed clam. Everything else looks alright and from experience I know LPS and softies are pretty resilient. When I turned on the return pump and the reef tank and pony tank once again were sharing water I did not see any disturbance in the seahorses. They continued to happily hunt brine shrimp. I expect my oversized skimmer will get a workout tonight.

Sk8n Reefer

Awesome! Glad things are back to normal- motorcycle ride- sounds fun. Almost ready for that here. We got snow this week- 2 days now it's back up to high 50's

Awesome! Glad things are back to normal- motorcycle ride- sounds fun. Almost ready for that here. We got snow this week- 2 days now it's back up to high 50's

Yes, I am glad too. With seahorses I worry a bit more about these sort of things.

We had not ridden the bikes much the last 4 years when we were caring for Dave's mom so it was great to just jump on them and go together yesterday when he got home from work. It was in the low 70s :-). Incidentally we are planning our 1st road trip in 5 years through Colorado this summer. I want to go on that famous route that is high with no guard rails, (I can't remember the name right now...the miracle highway or something like that?). Anyway Dave doesn't think he can do it. I am more adventuresome since I had a trail bike as a teen. Dave didn't start riding until his 40s.

Sk8n Reefer

Yes, I am glad too. With seahorses I worry a bit more about these sort of things.

We had not ridden the bikes much the last 4 years when we were caring for Dave's mom so it was great to just jump on them and go together yesterday when he got home from work. It was in the low 70s :-). Incidentally we are planning our 1st road trip in 5 years through Colorado this summer. I want to go on that famous route that is high with no guard rails, (I can't remember the name right now...the miracle highway or something like that?). Anyway Dave doesn't think he can do it. I am more adventuresome since I had a trail bike as a teen. Dave didn't start riding until his 40s.

That's awesome! No sure of the road your talking about but any of the mountain passes will be beautiful ?

That's awesome! No sure of the road your talking about but any of the mountain passes will be beautiful

Ha ha, it's not "miracle", it's million dollar highway, route 550. (I knew it began with an m). Anyway our destination is 4 corners where the states meet. Like you said, I am sure any of the mountain passes will be amazing! We are on a quest to ride in and to all 49 states. For obvious reasons Hawaii is out. So far we have all the states east of the Mississippi River and more than a few west of it.

glad that you are able to enjoy riding again. I used to ride but not any more. But I do lots of camping now with my airstream. I know that we don't really know each other well but then I feel like we do...;))) if you and hubby ever are around our hood you are welcome to stay here if needed. i have a fairly big house with just the 4 of us in exchange you can show me the ropes of seahorses care....;)

glad that you are able to enjoy riding again. I used to ride but not any more. But I do lots of camping now with my airstream. I know that we don't really know each other well but then I feel like we do...;))) if you and hubby ever are around our hood you are welcome to stay here if needed. i have a fairly big house with just the 4 of us in exchange you can show me the ropes of seahorses care....;)

Thanks flobees, that is very nice of you! About where is your hood? And hey, we also have a fairly big house and you and yours would be welcome here as well. We even have a driveway that could park an airstream. We are in the Pittsburgh, PA area. And I would be happy to show you the ropes of seahorse keeping either way!

we are in Columbus Ohio. Let me know if you guys ever need to rest for a few days /hours from a long ride. Thanks for the invite.

Okey doke, thanks!

Whew, glad Clammy and family are doing alright after the nem split.

*Looks at 79F tank, cries* I want pipefish!

Pipefish are very cool and I really like them. The seahorses are still my favorites though because of their personalities.

Archived