Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Deposits might be calcium, which might indicate low magnesium is allowing the calcium to fall out of solution. I can't explain why this would only happen in one tank when they're all hooked up together.

Pictures look great, tanks look incredibly healthy.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deposits might be calcium, which might indicate low magnesium is allowing the calcium to fall out of solution. I can't explain why this would only happen in one tank when they're all hooked up together.

Pictures look great, tanks look incredibly healthy.

I will test the magnesium. Since I have been doing 33% water changes I haven't been dosing much 2 part or magnesium. I figure the newly made salt water would make it up but I use IO so maybe my tank is using it faster than I am replacing it, especially the seahorse tank because of all the macros. I read macros use magnesium. Still it's puzzling why both tanks don't have it?

I am happy with the health of the tanks. Everything seems to be growing and even the colors are pretty good. I hope I can keep it that way through the next month and a half when we take a 10 day motorcycle trip through Colorado!

Sk8n Reefer

Tanks looking great and love those pipe fish - what are you feeding them? Moto trip through Colorado - sounds great! Are you planning to hit up the famous old biker bar The Bucksnort in Pine Colorado? Awesome area and place- that's where we have a cabin. Only an hour from Denver in the mountains. All types of bikers and non bikers hit it up- good destination spot ? by next month hopefully the rains will pass- it's been crazy for the last month with heavy thunder storms and flooding. Good to have the water though- keeps the mountains from burning all summer.

Tanks looking great and love those pipe fish - what are you feeding them? Moto trip through Colorado - sounds great! Are you planning to hit up the famous old biker bar The Bucksnort in Pine Colorado? Awesome area and place- that's where we have a cabin. Only an hour from Denver in the mountains. All types of bikers and non bikers hit it up- good destination spot by next month hopefully the rains will pass- it's been crazy for the last month with heavy thunder storms and flooding. Good to have the water though- keeps the mountains from burning all summer.

Thanks Sk8n! The pipefish come to the clam shell just like the seahorses and eat the frozen mysis. They also pick pods too.

Thanks for the heads up about the Bucksnort. I had not heard of it and we will have to see if we can fit it in. We are spending a day at Pike's Peak to hike and also taking the train ride, (the one that parallels the million dollar highway) for a day. Our destination is 4 Corners. We are on a quest to ride the bike in every state, well except Hawaii. We have them all east of the Mississippi and several west. This will add 4 more!

We were away this weekend for a wedding in the Poconos Mts of PA for a wedding. Before I left I was showing a person watching over my tanks some very basic things to watch for, (mostly just if the return pump shuts down). Anyway I stupidly forgot to turn my ATO back on. Another day away could have been disasterous! The water level in the sump was only about 3/8" from the lowest water line. It makes me shudder to think what could have happened. Well, another lesson learned.

From the positive side the algae on the glass was not too bad and the cyano is slowly receding. Both of those are amazing considering how low the water in my sump was so my skimmer could not be at it's best. All that helps me feel better about my big 10 day trip at the end of June.

Whew.

I suppose if it started sucking air the tank sitter might have called you, but glad the entire ordeal was avoided!

We were away this weekend for a wedding in the Poconos Mts of PA for a wedding. Before I left I was showing a person watching over my tanks some very basic things to watch for, (mostly just if the return pump shuts down). Anyway I stupidly forgot to turn my ATO back on. Another day away could have been disasterous! The water level in the sump was only about 3/8" from the lowest water line. It makes me shudder to think what could have happened. Well, another lesson learned.

Glad to hear the disaster was avoided!

Whew.

I suppose if it started sucking air the tank sitter might have called you, but glad the entire ordeal was avoided!

Yes, but since this was a short trip the tank sitter was not here every day and this tank sitter had no aquarium experience. My sister who is my sitter for my big trip understands tanks a lot better.

Glad to hear the disaster was avoided!

Me too. I can just visualize the circuit getting tripped, or the chiller kicking on and burning up or the UV catching on fire! All horrifying scenarios but it did not happen.

Glad all was ok!

Thanks kimber, me too. It is best to work out the bugs now before we go on the 10 day motorcycle roadtrip.

Thanks kimber, me too. It is best to work out the bugs now before we go on the 10 day motorcycle roadtrip.

I'm going to Europe for Thanksgiving... I have no idea who's gonna feed my fish!!

I'm going to Europe for Thanksgiving... I have no idea who's gonna feed my fish!!

O wow, yes Europe is a big trip so I imagine you will be gone awhile? What I have learned is pre-measure the food and feed less than normal. They will be a little hungry but better that than poor water quality. Automate lights, and top off water. If a water change must happen have it already made in a container with a small circulating pump. Finally pray that no equipment malfunctions, especially pumps and gfi circuits. As an aquarium tech, I can tell you I witnessed more than 1 tank crash because a gfi tripped the circuit and the tank was without electricity. I usually run at least 1 powerhead from another circuit when I am away just in case or battery back up pumps that can detect when there is no electricity.

Whew! Glad that was ok. Always stressful leaving the tanks.

Yes it is stressful. It puts a slight damper on the anticipation before getting away, at least for me. Once I am on my way, I figure 'what will be will be' so I enjoy it at that point. I can't let it be a bondage or else it's time to get a new hobby!

I have a little cyano on the sandbed of the seahorse tank. Oddly there is none in the reef tank that shares a sump. I guess it is not strictly a nutrient issue. It could be the difference of a crab cuc versus a snail cuc. (Crabs aren't safe with seahorses). Tonight I suctioned out some of the cyano and added purigen. I already have the photo phase shortened and all the T5 bulbs were replace about a month ago. I will keep up my 33% weekly water change and hope for the best.

I have a little cyano on the sandbed of the seahorse tank. Oddly there is none in the reef tank that shares a sump. I guess it is not strictly a nutrient issue. It could be the difference of a crab cuc versus a snail cuc. (Crabs aren't safe with seahorses). Tonight I suctioned out some of the cyano and added purigen. I already have the photo phase shortened and all the T5 bulbs were replace about a month ago. I will keep up my 33% weekly water change and hope for the best.

Cyano sucks...I still have some patches in my tank..I just keep siphoning and changing water...repeat repeat repeat. Its sooooo uglayyy doe.

The good news is my macro algaes have really taken off. I will try to take a pic tomorrow.

Cyano sucks...I still have some patches in my tank..I just keep siphoning and changing water...repeat repeat repeat. Its sooooo uglayyy doe.

Is yours also just on the sand bed?

The good news is my macro algaes have really taken off. I will try to take a pic tomorrow.

Is yours also just on the sand bed?

Yepppp. Stupid red stuff.

20150601_210235_zpsccf23440.jpg

A pic of the macros with just the blue lights. There is dragon's breath at far left, feather caulerpa in backround, red grape caulerpa and red titan in foreground, the large flowy rose petal in back right, a green fern like macro and the halimeda in the front right.

This makes me miss my seahorses. Great looking tanks though.

Thanks for the kind words. What size tank did you have and what kind and how many seahorses did you have?

Eve is on the hunt again. I dumped 50-75 ghost gut loaded ghost shrimp before we went to our wedding so the seahorses could go Saturday and Sunday without being fed. Eve is still hunting them but Adam just sits in the food bowl waiting for his frozen mysis. I wonder if he hunts even when he is hungry?

Well Eve put on her dancing shoes and got Adam out of the food bowl. Now the ponies are dancing to music only they can hear! I will try to capture their moves with video when the lights come on.

Archived